Seasick and pigsick - R230 ABC broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mirras

Car
Range Rover TDV8
On leaving the house this evening I got an ABC visit workshop message, I stopped the car, did the walkround and all was well. I got back in the car and the message cleared when I restarted so I carried on. I then went shopping, got back in the car and got the dreaded Red ABC "Drive carefully" message. I then decided to 'drive carefully' the 35 miles home again ( all motorway miles ). I tried my useless version of carsoft but it told me I don't have ABC ( or SBC or D2B ) so no luck there. I'm left with a trip either 3 miles to the local dealer, 35 miles to my favorite Indy or 70 miles to the place I bought it from... Has anyone experienced this before and is it likely to be one particular issue or are there loads of issues covered by this message? I've checked the fluid level and it's fine too. One other clue may be, sitting in traffic before the error I heard a loud clicky ticking noise from the front nearside several times. The car did this once before and it was a leaking valve block in that area just in front of the wheel. :dk: Oh, the seasick bit... now I know how folk in American cars feel, wallow wallow float float..... :eek:

Hi

How long have you owned the car for as you said about taking back to the place you brought it from. Because if you havent owned it that long i would make them come out and collect it.

Hi

How long have you owned the car for as you said about taking back to the place you brought it from. Because if you havent owned it that long i would make them come out and collect it.

I got the car in May but have done 12000 miles in it since. It does have a 3rd party warranty ( read; not worth the paper it's written on ) and I already have a complaint into the Financial Ombudsman about the warranty company. The dealer however gave an additional £1k warranty on it with I will call them up about tomorrow but it's at their place only and I'll need to get the car there.

Im sure they must have a deal with a recovery company that they could get it recovered to them.

Im sure they must have a deal with a recovery company that they could get it recovered to them.

It's a rtb warranry and to be honest I'd rather the car was repaired closer to home as by the time I pay all the too and fro costs and all that time it may work out cheaper. I'll ring round in the morning and see what to do next. It was my local dealer that changed the valve block mid September so I'm very tempted to go there 1st.

Before the local dealer replaced the valve block was the fault exactly the same with the warning on the dash.

I would still take it back to the dealer as it has only really lasted two and a bit months and your back to square one

Before the local dealer replaced the valve block was the fault exactly the same with the warning on the dash.

I would still take it back to the dealer as it has only really lasted two and a bit months and your back to square one

Unfortunately not, there was no error, they spotted the block was leeking while it was in for something else.

Well, got up early this morning and the error was gone. Decided to take the car to the local dealer to find out what errors are stored and half way there the red message came back again. With the dealer now, we'll see if it's going to spoil Christmas. :(

And the bad news is, new ABC pump required, £739 +vat ( minus my usual discount ) plus labour.......

Now the debate with the warranty company begins. :wallbash:

It shouldn't be a debate, if you are covered by the terms of the warranty they will pay out, if they don't take them to the small claims court.

I've had another update from my very helpful local main dealer. The warranty company accept there's likely grounds for a claim but want to send out an inspector to make sure Mercedes have carried out the work correctly and are not pulling a fast one.... This is despite the merc service manager sending full details of the diags and description of the work carried out to diagnose the faulty pump. I suspect they are aiming to refuse payout on any technicality they can find.... Like I said in my OP I already have one refused claim with the financial ombudsman, I do hope this isn't going to be another. Oh, and it'll be Monday or Tuesday next week before the inspector can see the car!!!! I wish now I'd bought from MB direct and would have half a chance of some faster service.

Getting a wee bit fed up with the car... I can see a 7 Series BMW appearing in her place soon!!!!! :eek:

edit; I only say that until I get back behind the wheel of my wee SL and all is forgotten

Last edited:
seems you are on the way to the fix, but a cautionary tale. My last R230 did precisely the same - ABC light on, then off after restart, however only once then on solid. The car was bouncy to say the least, so ABC deffo not working.

Into the dealer - diagnosed a strut. Replaced strut (£1100) - fault still there. Working up the system , replaced valve block (£1100 again) - fault still there.

Fortunately I had third part warranty which did cover, but by this time with 2 inspections, they were not happy bunnies.

Garage said "has to be transponder - we should have clocked that so we'll pay for that" (well, that was the outcome - it wasn't quite as plain sailing as that).

Changed the transponder - fault still there.

I reminded them what I said when this first happened - when the light came on, so did interference on the radio, so could this not be electrical?

Scratching of heads, started pulling at wires & discovered the wiring from strut to wherever had a break. Changed that (about £20.00) - fault gone.

Fortunately, the warranty co paid the £2500, but main dealers can be too driven by what STAR tells them which often - this case certainly - is what is exhibiting the symptoms, not necessarily what is the cause.

Hope you get it resolved without costing too much !!

I've had another update from my very helpful local main dealer. The warranty company accept there's likely grounds for a claim but want to send out an inspector to make sure Mercedes have carried out the work correctly and are not pulling a fast one.... This is despite the merc service manager sending full details of the diags and description of the work carried out to diagnose the faulty pump. I suspect they are aiming to refuse payout on any technicality they can find.... Like I said in my OP I already have one refused claim with the financial ombudsman, I do hope this isn't going to be another. Oh, and it'll be Monday or Tuesday next week before the inspector can see the car!!!! I wish now I'd bought from MB direct and would have half a chance of some faster service.

Getting a wee bit fed up with the car... I can see a 7 Series BMW appearing in her place soon!!!!! :eek:

edit; I only say that until I get back behind the wheel of my wee SL and all is forgotten

How's it going? Any news?

To be honest given my rust issues, I wish I'd bought a 3 series BMW now...but then again I'd look like a to$$er and it probably would've been thrashed before i got near it.

(Getting a wee bit fed up with the car... I can see a 7 Series BMW appearing in her place soon!!!!! :eek:)

Hang in there Mirras... I'm in a similar situation... bought my CLK55 Cab 2 months ago and I've had gearbox issues, Hinge problem, Alternator and now a water leak.....

I'm like you ready to offload until I get in and drive it...

Latest....

The warranty company eventually sent an assessor to the dealer last thing yesterday. He submitted his report but the warranry company "don't have anyone available to authorise the work, they are all in a meeting" ....

Shocking state of affairs and not what I would expect. The merc dealer has been very good and kept me up to date and chased the warranty company several times. I think the warrant company are holding out so I get fed up and pay for the work myself. I can see another complaint going in but don't want to rock the boat too early and postpone any approval. Let's just say I'm not best pleased. :mad:

The warranty company eventually sent an assessor to the dealer last thing yesterday. He submitted his report but the warranry company "don't have anyone available to authorise the work, they are all in a meeting" ....

Tell them that you now require a courtesy car to be provided as it is their problem that nobody is available to authorise the work.

That might speed up their process a little.

After I contacted both the warranty company's service desk and their account manager directly they have finally reviewed and approved the claim on the ABC pump and authorised Mercedes to replace the faulty part. Thank goodness..... I have no idea how long it would have taken them if they hadn't been pushed but I can sleep a bit easier now I don't have to cancel Christmas... :)

I should have the car back by late Friday or early Saturday, fingers crossed I don't get any more ABC issues....

After I contacted both the warranty company's service desk and their account manager directly they have finally reviewed and approved the claim on the ABC pump and authorised Mercedes to replace the faulty part. Thank goodness..... I have no idea how long it would have taken them if they hadn't been pushed but I can sleep a bit easier now I don't have to cancel Christmas... :)

I should have the car back by late Friday or early Saturday, fingers crossed I don't get any more ABC issues....

Great news - these warranty company's don't sound like much fun to deal with.

Since all this can be substantiated as factual , once your other dispute is sorted I hope you'll name & shame them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom