Seasonal second hand values

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blowpipe

Car
2019 E220d Cabrio
My wife wants to come into the fold, and has narrowed her choice down to a three/four year old E250 or 350 convertible.

She's got a two year old Kia Sportage 2.0d AWD (oddly I can only find one other auto of the model and year for sale in the country), and with winter coming it seems a good time to sell this and perhaps an unusual time to buy a convertible.

What sort of wriggle room would I get with dealers on the Merc and would the part exchange be sensible at a Merc dealer? I know I'm going to pay a premium going to a main dealer, but any pointers or tips most welcome.

Agree, but going to need something clever as we both need daily cars and haven't got an extra £20k sitting around, unfortunately!

Also bear in mind that many with newer generation Mercs have commented that they don't exactly do well in winter conditions due to electronic nanny systems .

Also bear in mind that many with newer generation Mercs have commented that they don't exactly do well in winter conditions due to electronic nanny systems .

I think that's more down to the weight, wheels, tyres, diesel engines, and drivers than the newer cars' electronics.

Most of the time even in winter the nanny systems help rather than hinder and as long as you know to switch them off at the right time there isn't a problem.

Agree, but going to need something clever as we both need daily cars and haven't got an extra £20k sitting around, unfortunately!

I've been viewing E convertibles on MB website for a few weeks with a view to buying some time in the next 3 - 4 months.
When you view each car there are 2 or 3 tabs at the bottom of the page. the first tab lists features. The second tab is labeled "services" and usually states "finance available, delivery available" and the banner advert at the bottom of the page has finance "offers" with usually a finance rate of 10%.
However, a couple of the cars have had interest free HP on the services tab. 40% down & the balance over 4 years. This may only be available from some retailer groups.
If I can find the right model whith that sort of finance offer I might be tempted to buy early & lock it in the garage until needed.

Edit:- example here

Last edited:

Winter rubber fixes that, these cars are designed to run the right tyres for the time of year.

You don't wear flip flops in the cold or snow

Bear in mind the present E cabriolet which is based on the W204 chassis is due to be replaced- probably by the forthcoming W205 -based C class cabriolet meaning the old E cabriolet may take a bit of a dive around that time . :confused: While the existing E coupe has one of the most distinctive shapes in the present MB stable :cool: the E cabriolet doesn't quite pull off the same trick imho. :dk:
mercedes-benz-c-class-cabrio-spy-2-hero.jpg

Thanks all. I take it that whilst the ticket price at main dealers might reflect the fact they are main dealers, has anyone got experience of a ballpark percentage reduction they may have to play with?

Winter rubber fixes that, these cars are designed to run the right tyres for the time of year.

You don't wear flip flops in the cold or snow

Alas , the newer cars just refuse to work without winter tyres in adverse conditions , whereas the older ones just get on with it as they have always done :)

Bear in mind the present E cabriolet which is based on the W204 chassis is due to be replaced- probably by the forthcoming W205 -based C class cabriolet meaning the old E cabriolet may take a bit of a dive around that time . :confused:

I had been thinking that I would prefer the facelift version of the current model. But more recently I've been thinking to go as cheap as possible for the pre-facelift and spec/mileage I want as they will all take the same hit when the new model comes out.

I've been viewing E convertibles on MB website for a few weeks with a view to buying some time in the next 3 - 4 months.
When you view each car there are 2 or 3 tabs at the bottom of the page. the first tab lists features. The second tab is labeled "services" and usually states "finance available, delivery available" and the banner advert at the bottom of the page has finance "offers" with usually a finance rate of 10%.
However, a couple of the cars have had interest free HP on the services tab. 40% down & the balance over 4 years. This may only be available from some retailer groups.
If I can find the right model whith that sort of finance offer I might be tempted to buy early & lock it in the garage until needed.

Edit:- example here

The 0% finance at 40% deposit should be available from all main dealers on E class cabriolets, SL and SLK until Dec.

We just took advantage of it, great deal and free money for 4 years :)

Cash is certainly not King, especially ehrn there's 0% offers and deposit contributions supported by head office. Cash won't give you any more leverage. We buy any car and telling lies

Cash is certainly not King, especially ehrn there's 0% offers and deposit contributions supported by head office. Cash won't give you any more leverage. We buy any car and telling lies

Agree with you

Why give them cash when they give you money back and lend it to you for 0%.

Apologies for being thick, what's a deposit contribution? SWMBO has just been to a dealer to see an E250, 2013 model with 17k miles on the clock. Nice car but £29,950 on the screen is a bit steep I reckon. As above, the 0% finance is on the table but at a price (given what I don't in terms of flexibilty on price!).

Apologies for being thick, what's a deposit contribution? SWMBO has just been to a dealer to see an E250, 2013 model with 17k miles on the clock. Nice car but £29,950 on the screen is a bit steep I reckon. As above, the 0% finance is on the table but at a price (given what I don't in terms of flexibilty on price!).

Don't know for sure, but the "Dealer Contribution" will probably be on other types of finance such as a PCP. You will pay a rate of interest for this type of finance, the deposit will be lower & posibly the monthly payments. But there will be a large final payment/hand the car back at the end

Still grateful for any experience of price flexibility as per original plea! Think we've covered the winter capability of the car..

If it were me I'd wait until the end of Q4 when garages are desperate to meet sales targets. Early £30's for a brand new E220 is not unrealistic.

Thanks - still looking at the 3 year mark as in my limited experience this represents the best value for used cars in terms of cost and reliability.

I'm really keen to learn of the realistic wriggle room a main dealer would have over the ticket price of a convertible at this time of the year. Any experiences or inside info gratefully received! :thumb:

It would depend how much they are into the car for ie what they bought it for. Its not rocket science, they buy/trade in for x and need to make a profit, there's no broad brush % on what room they have on a used car. Find a car, if you like it and agree a price your happy with then that's all that matters :)

The current 0% finance on cabriolets will I'm sure quickly deplete the stock........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom