Seat Belt Nag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pos.k

Car
C220 CDI Estate, Alpine White; Jaguar F-Type Coupe Salsa Red AMG SLC 43 Brilliant Blue
Hey Guys,
Happy New Year to you all.

Question for a Star expert - is it possible to switch off the seat belt nag audible alarm on a W209?

I need to get my car booked in for a service, and asked the stealer to do it whilst it was hooked up.
They said that it was not possible as it was a safety feature, and would be the same as switching off the airbags. Another stealer did it on my old W203.

I am not convinced that this is the correct answer, as these are the same people that tell you most things cannot be done, as that is the easy option.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Just a question ... why would you want to turn it off ?

If you haven't put your seatbelt on , you need reminding to do so surely ?

There maybe medical reasons for not wearing it. As a short term measure you could plug the pax side into your buckle, or when that seat is occupied plug yours in, then seat in the seat on top of the belt.

I never forget to put on my seat belt, but there are occasions when I want to move the car around or drive a very short distance and choose not to wear it.
The other times are when I take my dogs out, and one sits in the front (on the passenger side). The beep annoys me but drives him mental!!:eek:

Not really recommended to have a "mental" dog loose in the front of the car while driving! Why not use a harness that attaches to the seatbelt, and kill 2 birds with one stone?

:(
well, took the car for it's 1st service today, and asked the workshop to try and disable this. Said they would try, but turned out they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it. They did code the car to recognise the COMAND retrofit though, so .....

Can't you fool it by just shutting the passenger door twice (as if someone had got in, then out again)?

Can't you fool it by just shutting the passenger door twice (as if someone had got in, then out again)?

It works on pressure on the seat - even a briefcase or carrier bag sets it off!!

It is possible via coding with the Star

That's what I thought, but they said that it wasn't.
Makes me want to take my business elsewhere.

Main Dealers are very reluctant to take a car outside of the manafacturer's spec. This is for a number of reasons, one of which is potential liability in case of an accident.

"I put it to you that you deliberately disabled the very device that would have prevented this tragedy.............."

Main Dealers are very reluctant to take a car outside of the manafacturer's spec. This is for a number of reasons, one of which is potential liability in case of an accident.

"I put it to you that you deliberately disabled the very device that would have prevented this tragedy.............."

I was only requesting the audible aspect to be disabled - not the flashing red light in the dash.
Now, having that disabled would hinder any blind people by failing to remind them to put on their seatbelt......

How about sourcing a seat belt clasp from a breakers yard and just leave it in the anchor point.

I have seen a few people do this permanently (although I wouldnt recommend it).

Yes, thanks, that would work, but not really what I'm looking for.

My point is that it's my car, and yet MB won't adjust it to suit my wishes, even though it seems that it is a straightforward thing to do - particularly as it is in for a service with them anyway.
No wonder people try independents...and then stay there!
sorry...whinge over!

it annoys the hell out of me too , i feel your pain!

A few of the drivers at work pull the belt around the back of the seat and leave it plugged in permanent.

Lynall

My point is that it's my car, and yet MB won't adjust it to suit my wishes, even though it seems that it is a straightforward thing to do - particularly as it is in for a service with them anyway.
No wonder people try independents...and then stay there!
sorry...whinge over!

See post 11

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=702573&postcount=11

Imagine , a big smash , you end up brain injured because you forgot to put your seat belt on because the main dealer disbaled the warning for you.

MB wouldn't do it because then they would be liable , as stated in post 11 , and you and/or your family would be looking for a big claim / someone to go to prison.

OK guys - its like this.

All the way through, I have maintained that I just want the audible alarm silenced. The visible reminder can stay. So there is a reminder.

I do not believe that people generally forget to put a belt on - they just don't want to.

many of the posts in this thread discuss lots of workarounds for people that do not want to put their seatbelt on. So it can be overridden - but that is not what I want. I just want the bells to stop.

I do not believe that MB would be liable. If that were the case then it probably wouldn't be possible, but I understand that it is. What about requesting that I sign a disclaimer?

There are people killed every day from not wearing a seatbelt, using phones, speeding, driving like dickheads etc. if that is not enough to make you very careful and remind you to take sensible precautions (like putting on a seatbelt) then you need to think again.
Like you Howard I was rear-ended by a Luton van at 50mph last year, so I know what the dangers are.

The original post was to try and find out from the normally helpful people on this forum with lots of knowledge about our cars, but the responses have been more like asking the WI.

You don't believe that MB would be liable , they obviously do , hence why they won't do it for you.

Don't chuck your toys out of the pram mate because you aren't getting the answers you want to hear . :rolleyes:

Maybe someone does know or would do it for you , but they are unlikely to if you continue with your attitude.

You can enable TV in motion on comand too , but no one will do it for you because they beleive they will be liable should you have a serious accident.

Sorry.

Last edited:
I think you have had the answer - it's technically possible to deactivate via STAR, but M-B dealers will not be prepared to do this (same applies to video in motion, for example). You may have more luck with an independant garage that does coding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom