Seat buttons r129 tips for fastening back to door panel pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Hi
Driver side seat control buttons were loose at the bottom and I took the door panel off to investigate.
2 out of 3 screws are broken (plastic attachment has broken off) my dirty fingers are pointing at them B970BC22-1CB4-491F-B8C5-62C1A59390B5.jpeg

I can do an ugly fix and drill through the door panel and use a longer screw but that would be ugly and can never fix the door panel again.
Or…..

I thought perhaps using lots of fibreglass to try and glue it back in place and also use a strip behind it to give it extra strength but none of those solutions feel like they will work as someday someone will press those buttons a bit too hard.

Anyone else done this type of fix before?

also the small speaker cover has 2 broken tabs but I think a bit of fibre glass resin and hardener will glue that nicely back in place

Fairing repair kit should sort that out, possibly with a piece of aluminium embedded in it for extra strength.

It's a 2 part setup, powdered plastic with a solvent to bind/melt it together. Used it very successfully to replace smashed tabs and reform trim panels.

Something like this? Polyvance

I would build up the missing plastic to the back and drill a small hole for the screw to fit and possible use some aluminium to strengthen it.

just hope the new plastic has enough service contact to stay connected. Will give it a try.

Have used wayside products in the past but did not have much luck with it. Perhaps I rushed it too much.

Yes, that's the sort of thing. I can't remember who I've got mine from, but it was successful on a number of repairs.

I have repaired a seat belt buckle (NOT the structural part) and other plastic bits with JB Weld or Marine Weld. Very solid. You can sand, file and drill it.

RayH

I had a go at the plastic repair but I could not make it work. The area to work in is very small and it was impossible for me to make it work.
I then went back to my bracket idea and while playing with a piece of metal I figured out there is enough space to put some metal between the seat adjuster and the back of the door cover. I had to use the grinder to make 2x corner fittings fit. it is rock solid now. Below a picture of 2x original corner pieces as I did not want to remove the customised pieces again just for a picture. You can see the customised brackets underneath.

stupid pictures rotated 90 degrees while uploading to the forum

7CBE9A79-2154-42DB-A86C-9FE7CF1A3DEE.jpeg30E1680C-E93C-44D1-A564-344EA139E804.jpeg

Attachments

• 66FB303B-7584-463B-AA97-1B1EBBFB9BA3.jpeg
    66FB303B-7584-463B-AA97-1B1EBBFB9BA3.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 1
  • 7F30E0AF-D827-4104-9C49-CAC4497BC5CD.jpeg
    7F30E0AF-D827-4104-9C49-CAC4497BC5CD.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom