Seat wear - 2 years old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_M

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mini & Porsche
I noticed today that the finish has started to come off the side bolster of my drivers seat.

At 16000miles and 2 years I think it is poor and will take it up with the dealer and no doubt Mercedes will reject a warranty claim. I am not a bloater and clean/feed the seats regularly with Glptone.

But I just wondered if anyone may have had success on having it fixed?

S

At 16000miles and 2 years I think it is poor and will take it up with the dealer and no doubt Mercedes will reject a warranty claim. I am not a bloater and clean/feed the seats regularly with Glptone.

Which is probably what has caused the paint to come off.

Didn't know leather seats were painted DM? :D

Didn't know leather seats were painted DM? :D

I can't work out whether you are serious or not?

ALL car seat leather is pigmented leather so has the natural oils removed and is then chemically treated to stop liquid ingress and drying out of the leather.

The finish colour is then a painted PVC coating.

Even the smell is fake.

Last edited:
Im having visions of 'sand beige' coloured cows roaming the german fields...

Its probably artico anyway?

I can't work out whether you are serious or not?

ALL car seat leather is pigmented leather so has the natural oils removed and is then chemically treated to stop liquid ingress and drying out of the leather.

The finish colour is then a painted PVC coating.

Even the smell is fake.

Except for the nappa leathers?

Of course they are pigmented but they aren't impervious to water and they definitely don't have a painted PVC coating

Except for the nappa leathers?

Of course they are pigmented but they aren't impervious to water and they definitely don't have a painted PVC coating

nappa leather, or natural leather (in Porsche speak) is tumbled and soaked in dye until colour soaks through the leather .. colour is not sprayed on.

C63 has nappa leather, I think

If the colour is coming off it must be a top coat, not a through the leather, dye.

Nappa leather is chromium dipped instead of vegetable dipped, but for cars it probably still has a top coat.

Simon
you should have a case for some assistance from MB
thats not good enough after 2 yrs/16000
mines done double that mileage and ok they are bit shiny but no wear /damage issues

regardless of materials or processes thats too early for issues - good luck !

those side bolsters are as tight fitting as i have ever experienced , even on the wide setting , MB supply them and they should assist when problems occur - even a 9 stoner (not me, my wife!) finds them a tight fit

Last edited:
Yeah but I eat more Chili than you ;)

The local dealer is very good to me, so we will see. Failing that I will just leave it another year or so and get the base recovered.

S

Yeah but I eat more Chili than you ;)

The local dealer is very good to me, so we will see. Failing that I will just leave it another year or so and get the base recovered.

S

dont mention that chilli at GW or they will wriggle out of any claim:D

If the car is under 3 years old it will be covered by the initial warranty.

In my AMG I have the "convenience seating & steering wheels option" This moves the seat back when you turn off the ignition and it stays there until you turn the ignition back on. The plan being to allow easier access and exit past the seat bolster.

In reality what happens is you forget that the seat has gone back from where you think that it should really be. So you plonk yourself back into a void. Your mind goes into turmoil as your feet start to overtake your head. Any items that you have in your hands are thrown aside as you frantically windmill your arms like a drowning man clutching for a straw. As you land you have the pleasure of knowing that your now airborne thermo-nuclear coffee is about land in your crotch, welding your trousers and underpants to your testicles.

Or

You could just put up with the seat bolster wearing through. I am assuming here, that you are not using the leather seat bolster as scratching post, similar to a wild bear in the forest with an itchy backside?

I noticed today that the finish has started to come off the side bolster of my drivers seat.

But I just wondered if anyone may have had success on having it fixed?

S

Simon, I have the same so be interested to see what they do for you, but I'm out of warranty :-(
Kamal

In laws has this on a W203 which they bought used at 2.5 years old and 45k on the clock. MB replaced under the warranty.

I don't think OP will have a problem myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom