Seatbelts.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6pot

Car
W124 320 sportline estate
Does anyone know when they became law to be worn in the UK? Wikipedia says volvo introduced a 3 point belt in 59.
I was wondering When is it ok not to wear them? im certain its ok if you have a medical condtion or if you have a job as a multi drop driver?
Anyway in the last week ive been noticing more and more (male drivers mostly) not wearing a belt?
I would say most were aged between i would say 20 and 40 but i was just trying to fathom if it was because they... (A) never originally had to use them, but i thought they would have been aged 50 plus:dk:
or (B) Were younger and choosing not to wear them because they felt the airbag gave enough protection?
Anyway has anyone else noticed this? is this a regional thing? an age thing?
What do you think?

I have noticed that few people on telly wear them. Alan Sugar was always seen in the back of his car without one at the beginning of The Apprentice. In a drama or film it's allowed because they are not generally driving on open roads, but in documentaries they are breaking the law. But does the law care? NO.

I think it was circa 1966 that front belts became compulsory , rear belts became compulsory in the 1980's sometime - I'd have to look the dates up .

As you rightly say , use of belts where available is compulsory with only a few exemptions :

medical exemption
delivery drivers , like milkmen who are stopping every few yards
whilst manoeuvering or reversing
if the inertia reel has locked , you may drive a short distance , but must fit the belt as soon as it has unlocked .

It used to be the case that , with pre 1966 cars which had belts fitted , even though fitment was not required by law , that you did not need to wear them , but I 'think' that was changed .

Although I would never normally go out in a car without wearing a belt , I have never fitted them to my 1957 Ponton , and plan to keep the car that way - just to be different and just because I can !

1983 iirc
Could just be late 82

Last edited:
A full list of exemptions:

"(b) the driver of or a passenger in a motor vehicle constructed or adapted for carrying goods, while on a journey which does not exceed 50 metres and which is undertaken for the purpose of delivering or collecting any thing;

(c) a person driving a vehicle while performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(d) a qualified driver (within the meaning given by regulation 9 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987) who is supervising the holder of a provisional licence (within the meaning of Part III of the Act) while that holder is performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(e) a person by whom, as provided in the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987, a test of competence to drive is being conducted and his wearing a seat belt would endanger himself or any other person;

(f) a person driving or riding in a vehicle while it is being used for fire brigade or police purposes or for carrying a person in lawful custody (a person who is being so carried being included in this exemption);

(g) the driver of—
(i) a licensed taxi while it is being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire, or
(ii) a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for hire;

(h) a person riding in a vehicle, being used under a trade licence, for the purpose of investigating or remedying a mechanical fault in the vehicle;

(j) a disabled person who is wearing a disabled person's belt; or

(k) a person riding in a vehicle while it is taking part in a procession organised by or on behalf of the Crown."

You can also be exempt on medical grounds, but that has to be certified by a doctor.

For older cars, if the seat belts have been fitted then they must be used.

I didn't realise (until looking this up) that an older vehicle not equipped with seatbelts (and never originally fitted with them) cannot be used for carrying children. I need to look up the reference, but the guide I have for the last change in 2006 says this very clearly.

Going back to the OP's post, it's not too bad around here. Probably due to the terrible injuries suffered by a young lad in the village a few years ago resulting from not wearing a seatbelt.

Last edited:
Classic case = Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed would both be alive today if they had been wearing seat belts- the rear of their S class Mercedes being relatively unscathed in the tunnel crash. You can one of the richest people in world or even former royalty- the laws of physics and limits of human physiology are immutable and not inclined to show deference. :doh: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/news/nol/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/14_12_06_diana_report.pdf

People who don't wear seatbelts are irresponsible full stop. In the event of an accident most insurance companies will use this " non wearing seatbelt " action to markedly reduce or even refuse to pay compensation for any personal injury sustained. :eek: This could be catastrophic for people who end up with a long term disability or alternatively in the event of their death for their families' loss of a breadwinner.:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom