Second car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mondayo

Car
S211 E55
I've recently bought an old S210 320cdi as a second car.
Does anyone know of an insurance company that will mirror or recognise my full NCD, so that I can use that (as in evidence of) to get me a half decent quote, on a car that cost me less than £600.

To be clear, I already use my NCD on my main car. So can't use that directly.

Well I am no expert ,but you can get two car insurance,I suspect you would have to be the only driver,so the £600 car will be included in your premium.

Try admiral multi car. When I got the SL I got a quote of around £1200. I ended up insuring the SL and two other cars for about £900!!!! 🤷‍♂️

Many will now "mirror" or "introduction discount" and effectively match your NCD. AXA are pretty good, also Sheilas Wheels.

Have a number of vehicles predominatly insured with different insurers. Never figured out in my case why "multi car" with the same insurer does not work out cost effective.

Funny how the different insurers "prefer" certain risk profiles, guess that is one for the actuaries.

Many will now "mirror" or "introduction discount" and effectively match your NCD. AXA are pretty good, also Sheilas Wheels.

Have a number of vehicles predominatly insured with different insurers. Never figured out in my case why "multi car" with the same insurer does not work out cost effective.

Funny how the different insurers "prefer" certain risk profiles, guess that is one for the actuaries.
To be clear, my E55 is insured with direct line and that policy isn't due for renewal until May. DL quoted well over £500 using their "multi-car" discount.
I've been on comparison sites and got a quote for about £370...it's just slightly annoying as my E55 is less than a hundred quid more than that.

I had a decent chat with a broker about it and he said how long you've owned the car can have an impact on the quote too. Sadly his quote was £300 more then the car cost!

To be clear, my E55 is insured with direct line and that policy isn't due for renewal until May. DL quoted well over £500 using their "multi-car" discount.
I've been on comparison sites and got a quote for about £370...it's just slightly annoying as my E55 is less than a hundred quid more than that.

I had a decent chat with a broker about it and he said how long you've owned the car can have an impact on the quote too. Sadly his quote was £300 more then the car cost!
Your best bet is finding a multicar deal, as whoever insures the new car will want both cars. You can always cancel the Directline policy for a pro rata (less £30ish admin fee) refund. You just miss out on building half a year's NCB.

I've been with Admiral for five years now, often with three cars (four at one point...) and changing cars quite often, and they've always been very competitive. Admiral will mirror your discount too. They did that this year when I renewed, but here's an oddity...

I thought this year's (automatic) renewal was on the high side, and misread the quote as showing nil NCD on the latest second car, which had only been on the policy for eight months. When I queried this, asking what had happened to the five years' NCD which a second car on the multi-car policy had accrued, I was told that an intoductory discount of twelve years (the same as the primary car) had been applied to the new second car. I asked whether, if I cancelled the second car's cover after a month, they would then send me an NCD confirmation showing twelve years' NCD accrued. I was told that they would.

If this is correct, and other discount-mirroring insurers do the same, that's an easy way to get maximum NCD on your first second car that has only been insured for a month, then insure it with a cheaper insurer if you so wish...

(I still think the renewal premium was on the high side, and will be looking around at other multicar insurers when renewal is due next year, but that's a different issue.)

If this is correct, and other discount-mirroring insurers do the same, that's an easy way to get maximum NCD on your first second car that has only been insured for a month, then insure it with a cheaper insurer if you so wish...

This has applied for many years. I also seem to have many vehicles and now have 6 sets of full NCD. Three are generally in the filing drawer. However, you must remember to rotate them as NCD lapses after 2 years if not deployed.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going with Chris Knott and getting a deal through the MB Owners Club.
It seems the S210 I bought falls through the cracks a bit as it's not quite old enough for a classic/modern classic policy but too cheap/crap for a standard policy.
I also think my postcode didn't help as I live relatively near a city centre.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going with Chris Knott and getting a deal through the MB Owners Club.
It seems the S210 I bought falls through the cracks a bit as it's not quite old enough for a classic/modern classic policy but too cheap/crap for a standard policy.
I also think my postcode didn't help as I live relatively near a city centre.
What year is your car out of interest?

What year is your car out of interest?
It's a 51 plate e320CDI estate. It's pretty tired and probably only worth £7-800.
From talking to several insurance companies, it seems it's just too cheap/crap!
I had several quotes which were for significantly more than what the car cost...some were double the purchase price.

This has applied for many years. I also seem to have many vehicles and now have 6 sets of full NCD. Three are generally in the filing drawer. However, you must remember to rotate them as NCD lapses after 2 years if not deployed.
I got screwed over on this by an insurance company. I had full NCD on my 124 and a few years ago I took out a "Classic" policy with the owners club preferred insurance broker, I asked if I could put the NCD on the policy even though it would make no difference to the premium and was advised this was ok. Two years later (last year) I was advised that the broker would not renew my policy as the insurance company had changed there policy and the 124 was no longer old enough to meet the criteria. I asked for evidence of no claims, you've guessed it "sorry it's a classic policy and you don't accrue a NCD". No amount of arguing improved the situation! So the NCD from two years previous had lapsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom