Second hand W222 (S320) thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Early stages of swapping car, looking at options. Absolute Max budget £30k

One of the possibilities is an 2015my S320. What's folks thoughts on risk from a maintenance perspective? It's essentially same engine/ tranny (OM642 7GTronic) as in my W211 but with more toys, tech & airmatic so how much risk is there?

Interested in all comment/info from others who own or have owned similar age W222.

Might be worth looking st the MB site to check the service costs for your model.

A service plan will fix those costs regardless of mileage and service needs.

No such thing as a W222 S320.

If you are talking diesel - it's the S350d.

Petrol is the S300h which is petrol / electric at that vintage.

It's 7g+ in these cars (with the different fluid and longer intervals) which does auto stop/start.

There's more stuff to go wrong than in a W211 but arguably the W222 is a much better-built car from what I understand and they are proving very reliable to far.

No such thing as a W222 S320.

If you are talking diesel - it's the S350d.

Petrol is the S300h which is petrol / electric at that vintage.

It's 7g+ in these cars (with the different fluid and longer intervals) which does auto stop/start.

There's more stuff to go wrong than in a W211 but arguably the W222 is a much better-built car from what I understand and they are proving very reliable to far.

Typo yes I'm looking at the W222 S350d. At my budget would be a 2015.

Why not just keep your old W211 for towing and keep the wear and tear off the S350? You probably won’t get much for it if you sold it anyway.

Why not just keep your old W211 for towing and keep the wear and tear off the S350? You probably won’t get much for it if you sold it anyway.

But then I'd be into taxing, insuring & servicing/MOT for 2 cars which would push running costs up and the W211 wouldn't get used much...

Sounds like you are talking yourself out if it.

Don’t see the point of a W211 and W222...

Sounds like you are talking yourself out if it.

Don’t see the point of a W211 and W222...

Not really, it's a head/heart and widely divergent needs.

Like lux executive saloons= S

Have caravan which we love = GLE

But we don't actually do that many miles with caravan 'on the hook' S has no fold down seats (AFAIK) and for caravan limited boot space. At moment I'm researching tow bar nose weight limits on the S and playing with loading of caravan to see where we are. If I can get to point where both align the S has to be a contender.

Will have chat to Indi I use to get their take on maint costs/risk.

Welcome any other comment/opinion/suggestion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom