Secondary Air Injection Pump error E55 W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alps

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E63s s213 2019, E55 2004 Silver-SOLD, E63 w212 Weistec AMG-SOLD, E55 2004-SOLD, C36 1997-SOLD
Hi All

Check engine light appeared last week, quick test on STAR pointed to Secondary Air injection system.

When I first bought the car within 3 months I had the same error and a replacement relay sorted that out. This was over 4 years back.

MB carry the Relay in stock which I will pick up at the weekend (Part number MA0025427219 - £8.10 +vat) Relay location depends on year, on a 805 build it is in the boot right hand side together with the fuel pump relays.

I sure this will not resolve it this time and a pump will be needed, here are the part numbers for future ref

- Mercedes OEM partnumber is a0001404285 (£505+vat)
- Bosch part number for Mercedes OEM is 0580 000 018
- Bosch own part number is 0580 000 017 (£311 (ECP))

will update after changing relay and testing pump

ok, a little update, picked up the relay yesterday morning.
- checked the 30A fuse - all fine
- replaced relay - no visible signs on the old relay
- carried out an actuation test using STAR on the secondary air injection pump and it whirred up nicely.
- Error codes reset

so far so good, been driving around the last few days with no check engine light, lets see if it stays off. If it comes back it may well be the pump on its way out.

Check engine light back on today.

looks like a new air injection pump may be needed after all!

Do you need the secondary air injection pump, can it be blanked off? Is it there for emisions?

Do you need the secondary air injection pump, can it be blanked off? Is it there for emisions?

had mine blanked off by Andy Eurocharged.. only thing I noticed was slightly more noise in cold winter mornings. Was prepared to replace but after speaking with Andy opted for this method

Hopefully this will sort it, £300 inc forum discount from ECP

IMG_4839_zpsb7d65e70.jpg

1. take of front engine cover, here is what you are faced with

2. pull off air suspension pump filter off of bracket
3. pull off the electrical plug
4. undo the 3 10mm nuts off the bracket, the whole bracket assembly will come off.
4. pull off the air pipe

new and old

5. remove the 3 x reverse star bolts holding the air pump onto the bracket and then replace the air pump.
6. install in reverse order

You will need STAR to clear the engine light and its also best to replace the relay if not done already.

I also cleaned the electrical connector and replaced the air suspension pump filter whilst i was under there. trickiest part was putting the pipe back on.

hopefully this should help!

We had this recently.

It was the SAM unit causing the issue.

Hey Olly,

Relay and fuse is on a separate holder on the drivers side rear panel for the 2005 based models. Shared with the fuel pump relay and fuse.

Probably changed the design due to SAMS getting burnt out on the earlier ones as both fuel pumps and SAI units do go wrong .

Dragging this up - can anyone tell me where the relevant fuse(s) and relay position for an 804 build estate? There seems to be various options! Thanks

@DavidL unfortunately I can't help you there, but will add this additional info,

I had a similar issue with my C-Class Coupe last year, and identified a number of things, might be relevant to anyone coming across this thread.......

1. EML - can't remember the exact message, but it flagged 2 identical warnings in the code read out, both secondary air injection pump, one for each bank of the v6
2. on inspection the wiring loom plug had been slightly fried at the Front SAM and the pin socket in the plug was grotty and not making proper contact
3. on removal and strip down the relay was toast
4. Fuse didn't blow :rolleyes:
5. Secondary air injection pump appeared to be drawing too much current - I replaced it

This was the second time the EML had come on for the secondary air injection pump, previously I had taken it somewhere to deal with, and they had said the connection block was the issue and they'd cleaned it up and all seemed good, with hindsight, they should have done a little more investigation, because it didn't take me long to work out the relay should always be changed at the first sign of any trouble, or at the very least removed and checked/cleaned by stripping the cover off!

I replaced the pump, the relay, hacked a lump of loom and new plug out of a scrapyard car, and had someone splice it in and replace my plug, and clean up the SAM connectors, fingers crossed been ok since.

I used an online parts place called onlinecarparts.co.uk (also known as AutoDoc) based out of Germany despite the .co.uk address, bought the BOSCH equivalent pump (£180.88) took a while to turn up, something like 2 or 3 weeks I think it was, price however was excellent, second order from them however (rear hatch struts) was an absolute nightmare resulting in me bombing their feedback heavily on one of the online review sites, and i'll not likely use them again (they have about 7 different website addresses that are all linked to the same company, pretty easy to spot)

Pictures from the time........

Relay

Front SAM and Connection Plug

hopefully this info may be of some help to others at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom