Secondary cat delete - mot fail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abdul

Car
C63
Hi guys,

Thinking of removing the secondary cats from my 01 clk55. I had this done on my 430 and it made a noticeable difference so definately worth it.

Now my understanding is that any sort of cat delete is an mot fail from now on so what do you guys plan to do to get around this? I know the emissions will be fine but i understand its the visual inspection that will cause problems.

Cheers

This question has been doing the rounds for a while and whilst on paper it does suggest that the car will fail an MOT, in practice I've yet to hear of one fail.

If you are going to do this mod, I suggest you retain the secondary CATS so that you could weld them back in at a later date should the need arise.

Ah, should've done a search!

I know it wasn't an issue before but I read somewhere that as of this year it'll be a fail.

Ill defo hold onto the old cats though, thanks!

An alternative is to have the secondary cats opened up (in situ) then scooped out. When finished have the cat shells welded back up. his leaves the exhaust looking standard.
As Sp!ke says. I have never heard of a failure on emmisions by removing the secondaries.

Why not make your life easier and cheaper by just leaving things as they are ?

Why not make your life easier and cheaper by just leaving things as they are ?

Nah, can't do that lol.

I'm a bit of a die hard modder so can't leave the car standard. :eek:

Removing ALL the cats is a fail, even if the emissions are within limits (this is possible).

Having *some* cats still in place should be fine (again provided the emissions are OK).

The new rules have been in place for over a year now (advisory from 1st Jan 2012, enforced from 1st April 2012) and not aware of anyone getting failed yet for missing secondary cats. Lots of people have had it done.

Cost me £150 to get the cats and resonator removed at a local custom exhaust place (great job they done too!) and I then sold the scrap cats to the local breaker for £65 each!

effectively cost me £20 to unleash the V8 thunder!!

Mine were removed from the SL c/w the boxes in November 2009......no MOT issues before nor since.......it seems to be emerging that provided the car passes the requisite emissions test the examiner has no incentive to do the research necessary to establish what was or was not original on the car being tested.

Mic

Thanks guys, I know the emissions will be fine as my 430 was ok through an mot. I was just concerned about the visual inspection.

Righto, the cats are coming out next week lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom