Secret Data gathering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just think, in the future the police will pull you over and will have special codes to access your command and interigate it for the speeds driven. We will be convicted and found guilty by the tools that assist us.
Spooky Mulder.

The american pick up truck that I use as my daily driver has the down load plug in facility. In the US you have the option to prove you are innocent by the plug in facility or to refuse. It is your choice and right to do so. This I find acceptable. In the UK you would not be given the choice, data would be taken against your will which is unacceptable. Data never takes circumstances into consideration.
I agree with that, if you don't get a choice then it shouldn't be there.

Thats why I said much earlier that the motorist needs to push for legistlation that means that data can't be collected by police.

My concern with the pick up example is that if you refuse to give the data, that it may be used to implicate guilt by refusal to co-operate.

If the greens etc can push for banning fox hunting why can't motorists as a pressure group push for rights to protect the motorist against intrusion. Our state seems to wish to use technology to erode our privacy, and it worries me that so few of us seem a) bothered and b) willing to do anything about it.

Thats why I said much earlier that the motorist needs to push for legistlation that means that data can't be collected by police.

My concern with the pick up example is that if you refuse to give the data, that it may be used to implicate guilt by refusal to co-operate.

If the greens etc can push for banning fox hunting why can't motorists as a pressure group push for rights to protect the motorist against intrusion. Our state seems to wish to use technology to erode our privacy, and it worries me that so few of us seem a) bothered and b) willing to do anything about it.

Like one is gonna be able to stop two burly coppers plugging their tool into your data port.......:rolleyes:

Like one is gonna be able to stop two burly coppers plugging their tool into your data port.......:rolleyes:

Thats why I oppose any scheme that stores data, voulterily or otherwise.

At least though the data they would have would not be legally be able to be used in your conviction.

Plus you get this kind of thing, taken from The Register:
A driver is suing a car hire firm, which charged him $450 for allegedly speeding in a van fitted with a hi-tech device for spying on drivers.

According to the New Haven Advocate, James Turner is taking Acme Rent-A-Car to court over penalties levied on him for "going at speeds in excess of 90 mph on three separate occasions."

The van was fitted with a system based on GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite technology whose primary purpose was to monitor drivers rather than help them with navigation.

Acme uses technology from wireless application service provider AirIQ called OnBoard which "keeps track of where the vehicle is, what direction it is going, what speed it is travelling".

OnBoard, which uses an on-board computer with integrated GPS (Global Positioning System) and wireless transceiver, can even be used to disable a vehicle or lock its doors with the "point and click of a mouse".

In the case of Turner, the technology reportedly recorded him speeding while he made a journey through seven states last October.

Tuner had been a regular customer of Acme and didn't notice the small print in his rental agreement, which said, "vehicles in excess of posted speed limit will be charged $150 fee per occurrence".

Acme levied the "fines" on Turner through his debit card; it had nothing to do with any police action. The company has defended its business practices and will contest Turner's claims when they come to court. Six other claims have also been filed against Acme.

Quite apart from whether the technology proves someone is speeding and whether due process of law was followed by Acme we reckon that the car hire firm has scored an own goal when it comes to customer management.

However you feel about speeding, would you be happy hiring a car knowing that the car hire firm can spy on you? This is a use of technology that deserves to be left in the lay-by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom