SECRET part numbers. Schhhhhhhhhh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MotardMan

Car
94 E320 W124 Coupe, '98 C240 Estate, 31k miles!
I had occasion to call my local dealer for some part prices. When I asked him what those part numbers were, he told me it was not MB p;oicy to pass on part numbers as I might use them to source the bits somewhere else cheaper! I was amazed. He went on to tell me there there was no discount for parts on older MB cars either. Well there was, 20% off labour and 10% off parts, but only if you passed the car through the workshop........

Is this normal?

he told me it was not MB p;oicy to pass on part numbers as I might use them to source the bits somewhere else cheaper!

That isn't true. It is not the Dealer policy, nothing to do with MB.

Block Exemption will probably apply somehow to this. But you can buy access to the EPC for about £10 for the year!

Kate

I had occasion to call my local dealer for some part prices. When I asked him what those part numbers were, he told me it was not MB p;oicy to pass on part numbers as I might use them to source the bits somewhere else cheaper! I was amazed. He went on to tell me there there was no discount for parts on older MB cars either. Well there was, 20% off labour and 10% off parts, but only if you passed the car through the workshop........

Is this normal?

It is just a scam to prevent competition. In Australia some retail companies in the phone trade also use the word "illegal" to justify certain positions on spare parts.

For 15 Euro you can lookup your own spare parts and then call them with an enquiry asking if it is valid for your car. Once you have the part numbers in hand you would be amazed how often the song changes.

miro

should we not be more aware WHO is collecting data on us :bannana:

I might email the dealer manager and let him know his parts guys are talking a load of rubbish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive hit that brick wall a few times with not giving out part numbers.

Give and take?

That isn't true. It is not the Dealer policy, nothing to do with MB.
Dont you mean that it is the dealers policy not MB?

Whatever--- as Miro says if you phone them up with the actual part nos and ask for their best price because "of course" you want to give your local MB dealer the "opportunity" to quote you a price. Then when they ask what price you have been quoted you then say " your sorry you cant reveal sensitive commercial information from other suppliers since its confidential":rolleyes: Thats if your feeling really annoyed at them.;) If not just negotiate for a reasonable discount on the list price which is probably the best approach if you want to do business again in the future. Once they know you are not a "walk over" on price they will hopefully quote you more realistically in the future.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Block Exemption will probably apply somehow to this. But you can buy access to the EPC for about £10 for the year!

Kate

Probably the most overlooked bargain MB have to offer! I've had it for a few years and it's been invaluable.

Agreed the full internet version of EPC is now an essential part of my business, has saved so much messing with the dealers parts people and my fax also has more time on its hands...

Yep we use it too! Only 1 guy at our local Merc dealer has a clue when it comes to Smarts. The others make mistakes all the time which doesn't help us when we need to quote a customer & we get told 'ah well they are learning!'

Drives me nuts!

Kate

If you have an old car and are a hands on person it definately pays to build up a relationship with the local parts people.

Cannot beat face to face and the odd joke hear and there - takes time, but invaluable.

Cannot remember when I got less than 15% on parts.

Freedom of Information also applies to bodies holding information of public interest.
Is that in Australia - I don't think that's the case in the UK?

If you have an old car and are a hands on person it definately pays to build up a relationship with the local parts people.

Cannot beat face to face and the odd joke hear and there - takes time, but invaluable.

Cannot remember when I got less than 15% on parts.
Totally 100% agree

how often is your internet version of epc updated ?

EPC? I'm not aware of that..... Sounds as if I should be though...

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom