Secret tax adds £200 to cost of running family cars - The Times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TonyVianoAmbiente

Car
W124 E300 Diesel 1995
"Tens of thousands of families will have to pay up to £245 extra a year under new road tax rules after a covert government decision to include cars up to seven years old.

"The Treasury admitted to The Times last night that it was quietly abolishing the exemption for older cars from the highest rates of vehicle excise duty. This means that owners of larger cars bought since March 2001 will find that their road tax will rise steeply from next April.

"The increases are being introduced in two stages, with many owners who are now paying £210 a year being charged £300 in 2009 and up to £455 in 2010.

"The new road tax was announced in last month’s Budget but its impact is only now becoming clear.

"Owners of models of the Renault Espace, Vauxhall Zafira, VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy, Citroën C8, Vol-vo XC90 and others that emit more than 225g of carbon dioxide per kilometre, will pay £430 in 2010 compared with £210 this year. Owners of medium-sized cars that emit more than 180g/km, including some Ford Mondeos, will find taxes rising by up to £100."

For the whole article, go to:
Secret tax adds £200 to cost of running family cars - The Times

This works both ways though.

My 1999 C220cdi's emissions mean that the car should fall into a lower tax category but I have to pay the standard higher rate as the car was built before March 2000 (I think that's the date).

If they include older cars in the scheme drivers of lower emission vehicles should benefit.

Does anyone know of an online list of the CO2 ratings for each car?

My wife is considering changing her B class :eek:

My wife is considering changing her B class :eek:

It's a minefield! The online lists only cover new cars. We've soent ages trying to plot ours thismorning. Ended up just getting the log books out :rolleyes: Although I did eventually find Edna on one. Might have been Parkers used car guide.

If she's looking for new then again Parkers will have it.

Try this, for new cars, but it's worth checking Parker's for out-of-production models (it's not exhaustive). Go the "Facts & Figures" for the car you're looking at within the used car review section.

PJ

Last edited:
I use THIS site, it covers all cars 1997 onwards. :)

Edit to add that I'm really glad my merc with 250g/km CO2 was registered in 2000!!

Edit to add that I'm really glad my merc with 250g/km CO2 was registered in 2000!!

That site is brill. But it puts Edna at 250 and not 265 which was a Parkers type site:crazy: Gonna have to get the log book out.

ETA - Log book says 250.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but what will be, will be and none of this taxation thingie is going to influence my choice of vehicle.

I suppose if we wanted to save large amounts of money, we could slow down. 60mph instead of 70. Just think how much fuel we would save and how much the government would loose by us not buying all that extra fuel. I doubt our journey times will be all that much longer, but would we do it? :devil: :devil:

John

Yet another reason to buy a W124. :cool: Wonder how far back they will go next. Another 7 years back to 1994 puts me in the frame.:( Hopefully not enough cars left from that era to bother?;) Rather a good comment from the times motoring online letters speculating what towing a caravan does to individual car emission figures?:crazy:

Good site but it doesnt have the Audi A4 cabriolet 1.8T:eek:

Well you're not, Dave, that's for sure :rolleyes:

grober said:
Yet another reason to buy a W124. :cool: Wonder how far back they will go next. Another 7 years back to 1994 puts me in the frame.:( Hopefully not enough cars left from that era to bother?;)

Fortunately there aren't any reliable CO2 figures for cars that old, so until they come up with another measure, we should be safe...

I hate to say it, but what will be, will be and none of this taxation thingie is going to influence my choice of vehicle.

I suppose if we wanted to save large amounts of money, we could slow down. 60mph instead of 70. Just think how much fuel we would save and how much the government would loose by us not buying all that extra fuel. I doubt our journey times will be all that much longer, but would we do it? :devil: :devil:

John

I was thinking of the speeding fines that would drop to near zero if we all slowed down

I was thinking of the speeding fines that would drop to near zero if we all slowed down

If that happened I would fully expect a 'review' of road safety and the environmental impact of evil cars travelling in excess of 50 miles per hour on three lane motorways causing perilous risks to children playing in the central reservation and endangered rats living in the drains, resulting in speed limits being dropped across the board.

:rolleyes:

That site is brill. But it puts Edna at 250 and not 265 which was a Parkers type site:crazy: Gonna have to get the log book out.

ETA - Log book says 250.

that's great, but does it really save you any money? besides I'd guess that the figure on your V5 is the key one .. (does the v5 have co2 output on it? I'd have to check)

Do you know if they plan on redoing this for even older cars in the future? I hope not, especially when parkers lists my car as 218g...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom