Security camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ItalianTuneUp

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320CDI
Over the last year I've had someone forcibly remove the MB star from the bonnet (drunk student during freshers week?) and now it seems like someone has been tampering with one of the side mirrors.

As the car is parked on the street, I wondered if anyone else has had this kind of annoying vandalism and what, if any, solution they found...for example fitting a security camera to the car somehow that records when it detects movement close to the car?

Last edited:
Within 20 minutes of parking up my new pride and joy after the 150 mile home journey, I went to look out the window at my car full of glee, only to see 20-odd teenagers stood around it, leaning against it and one even sat on the bonnet!

I already have 2 CCTV cameras pointed at the car, which are also infrared.

The cameras do have motion detection alarms, which you can draw out a grid of monitoring area on the DVR, and it beeps, but even using the different sensitivity settings, you find there's so many false positives it's just useless. Moths, cobwebs, spiders, rain, all trigger the alarm...

connect the body up to the mains...

That would be great but it might be far away from the house and mains. Maybe a cigarette lighter gizmo to deliver taser-like jolt? Or that south African flame thrower under the front doors? ;) Think it was this: http://youtu.be/LQbHnLSasfQ

Sounds like I'll just have to put up with these annoyances unless a reliable camera solution exists at a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
fit a radar system to your car to sound off when someone gets a certain distance from the car. The one that I bought from ebay is the size of a box of matches and has two zones. The idea was to wire up a astable timer to each output. at 2 feet it would trigger just a quick "beep" and closer that 1 foot it would give a 5 second blast. Unfortunately I have only got this working on the living room table as I am too lazy :)

fit a radar system to your car to sound off when someone gets a certain distance from the car. The one that I bought from ebay is the size of a box of matches and has two zones. The idea was to wire up a astable timer to each output. at 2 feet it would trigger just a quick "beep" and closer that 1 foot it would give a 5 second blast. Unfortunately I have only got this working on the living room table as I am too lazy :)

I think the neighbours would be imagining what nasty ways I could meet my doom if that was bleeping noisily at all hours!

Within 20 minutes of parking up my new pride and joy after the 150 mile home journey, I went to look out the window at my car full of glee, only to see 20-odd teenagers stood around it, leaning against it and one even sat on the bonnet!

I already have 2 CCTV cameras pointed at the car, which are also infrared.

The cameras do have motion detection alarms, which you can draw out a grid of monitoring area on the DVR, and it beeps, but even using the different sensitivity settings, you find there's so many false positives it's just useless. Moths, cobwebs, spiders, rain, all trigger the alarm...

I bet you weren't impressed!

I wasn't. I saw it as a sign of things to come. Luckily it was a one off, and just a coincidence I'd only had the car home 20 minutes when it happened. I shouted out the window, got a load of cocky remarks from a few smart asses.

One of the younger ones earned himself a slap from one of the older ones, which was nice. As the younger one asked "is it your car?", I said "yes", he said, "yeah right, as if you could afford a Mercedes", he then got his slap much to my amusement.

Also heard "Slick Merc 'dat!"

They then scurried off...

Luckily for me (touch wood), my bonnet emblem hasn't been snapped off yet in the 3~4 months I've had the car...

Well that sounds like they were admiring your car and not destroying it...although sat on bonnet not so good. As you say, luckily a one-off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom