Security Cameras For A House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I'm looking at a DVR based CCTV system for home.

I want 700TVL and motion sensing as a minimum, but the package I'm looking at (ESP DVR8iP) doesn't have the ability to tell me, by phone, or by a sounder in the bedroom, when the motion sensor has been triggered, so I can rush down with my flame thrower and burn the motherfarquars.

Any recommendations/suggestions please?

Notes:
I know it's a car forum, and security forums are available.
I know there will be false alarms, with motion triggered notifications.
I know baddies wear hoodies.
Etc.

Last edited:
Swann TruBlue 960H 1TB 9 Channel CCTV Kit with 4 Bullet Cameras | Maplin

Just installed ^^^^ works fine for me.

Purchased 2 x extra cameras.

DVR kept in loft.

Can view the cameras on lap top and mobile.

Cameras are sensitive at night to midges and cob webs (infrared attracts them) - I will adjust them when I can be bothered.

At least if my house gets screwed I can watch them doing it. ;)

Thanks, that's broadly the same spec/price point as the ESP.

I'd really like an alarm out feature that notifies you when the motion sensor has been activated.

Last edited:
I'd really like an alarm out feature that notifies you when the motion sensor has been activated.

My guess is that you will probably switch it off eventually because all sorts can set them off and you will get fed up with all the false alarms eg. rain , cob webs , midges , birds (flying type), cats etc.

I have a Swann PTZ (pan tilt zoom) mounted high on the fascia boards, and 2 Swann wide-angle dome cameras on the front of the house to cover every angle.
The PTZ can be programmed to 'patrol' wherever you like (I have mine set to zoom in on my wifes parking spot outside the boundary of the house)
There is also another wide-angle dome camera on the back of the house.
These type of cameras benefit from a little bit of ambient light, rather than pitch-black at night time, if this is unavoidable consider purchasing an IR illuminator unit to aid the camera vision at night.
I wouldn't bother with the motion detection, just record everything 24/7/365, the hard drive on the DVR will just overwrite once full.
I would suggest a separate way of alarm notification if motion is detected, via other means. Something like this? Driveway Patrol Infrared Wireless Alert Secure System Garage Motion Sensor Alarm | eBay

These type of cameras benefit from a little bit of ambient light, rather than pitch-black at night time, if this is unavoidable consider purchasing an IR illuminator unit to aid the camera vision at night.

Thanks,

There are 5 lights across the front of the house that come on if either of the Guardian sensors are tripped - the ESP guy thinks they will be enough to assist the cameras.

Have you looked at Foscam's kit?

I recently set up iSpy on the pc. I connected kids tablets and usb cam and the wired cam out front to it. Very easy to setup as many cams as you want. Motion detection and alarm. Sad but you have to pay to view cams from your mobile or whatever but i set mine to save to OneDrive on pc which automatically uploads to online storage (in case the pc got nicked ). It handy as extra cams etc. you can use android phones as well. Just install ipwebcam on phone or tablet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom