Security incident near Houses of Parliament

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
....might be a good idea to avoid central London if you can.

We don't know what happened yet, but.... a lone attacker armed with a knife... in a spot that has the highest concentration of armed police anywhere in the UK... something does not sound right.

Looks ugly: claims of 8+ run down on Westminster Bridge, Police officer stabbed then assailant was shot

Found this on metro : Parliament shooting: 'Two shot and at least a dozen injured in attack' | Metro News
TBH I cannot believe with all the attacks that have happened round the world, we haven't been targeted more often.
Its either because we have excellent Anti-terrorist services or we have been very fortunate.

My sisters son works in centre of London, and her two daughters were in Paris when the multiple bombings went off last year, the trip was a birthday surprise, she had always wanted to go- My sister was going out of her mind with worry until she got through on phone.

I know you cannot go around paranoid, but I persuaded my mum to go away with her neighbour on Holiday to Tunisia at the Riu Imperial Marhaba in 2015, her neighbour had been going for many years to the same hotel knew loads of people and staff - she rang them straight away when she heard the tragic news , but they were both going the following month.

What with that, and my sisters kids in Paris you cannot help but be a bit worried though. :(

....might be a good idea to avoid central London if you can.

I'd be inclined to agree, shame I'm already here! :dk:

Odd that they're assuming it's a terror attack unless otherwise, would have thought it should be the other way round but I left my tin hat at home.

All sounds rather odd either way and sad for any loss of life.

Incident or accident either way it's a tragic situation and our thoughts must be for the people and families involved.

Incident or accident either way it's a tragic situation and our thoughts must be for the people and families involved.

Incident...man ploughs into group on bridge, one confirmed dead so far...then drives to parliament and stabs police officer.

About to start my tube journey from Wood Lane to St Pancras. A fair distance away from the incident but we will see what the knock on effect has.

One of the officers has died

RIP

A few (unrelated) thoughts at this time...

1. Firstly my thoughts are with those injured and their families and friends, especially those of the policeman who died.

2. Then, a car plowing through the crowd can happen anywhere and it is clearly of an unavoidable nature, but a lone attacker armed with a knife managing to stab four policemen, then make his way into the compound of what must be one of the most protected and secure sites in the UK? I think we will hear more about this in the coming days and weeks. Perhaps the police saw him running towards them from the crashed car and thought he was a victim? And armed officers hesitated to open fire? I have no doubt that the police officers who put their lives on the line protecting the public are very brave and deserve our utmost respect. But the description of events as we know them so far makes for some very uncomfortable reading.

3. I am not one in favour of the UK getting involved militarily around the world, but - assuming this does prove to be an ISIS-inspired attack, as the current indications are - this attack at the heart of our symbols of government does focus the mind... I believe we have no choice but go after the heartland of this twisted ideology and deepen our military and political involvement in the Middle East. To my mind, allowing this cancer to grow unhindered in the Middle East can become a real threat to our own country and way of life.

4. The Scottish parliament aborted a debate today about the second Scottish referendum... I think that the events in Westminster should send a clear signal that what we need now is more unity, not more sectarianism. And this is not about making a cynical use of today's tragic events for political purposes... I truly believe that we need to stay united in order to defeat the common enemy.

Last edited:
The man believed to be the attacker has also died.

Hope he rots

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom