See the worlds smallest diesel engine being made by a hobbiest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ioweddie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
This is pretty incredible, I'm an old fashoined toolmaker now working in a fast paced cnc company, but this turns the clock back to real engineering. Tiniest V-12 Diesel Engine
YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THIS CLIP, IT’S AMAZING VIDEO OF TRUE
CRAFTSMANSHIP.

AN OPERATIONAL V-12 DIESEL ENGINE THAT FITS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND.

This is not CNC technology; this guy made everything at home on his lathe and drill press.
Took 1220 hours (a year and a half?) to make the 261 pieces.
12 individual cylinder heads, TINY rods and pistons, dual "underhead" cams with pushrods to rockers in the heads.
And, he did break-in runs using an electric drill driving the crankshaft!
Even if you're not an engineer, you'll love this!

http://www.wimp.com/tiniestengine/

Enjoy Eddie

that's brilliant!

Where do you find a wife that allows you to build a V12 in the kitchen? Lucky man :)

Seriously impressive project :thumb:

Fantastic

Impressive I agree but dissapointing and completely missing the point that it didnt actually run as an engine.

Its just turned over with compressed air so actually its not an engine at all, its just a folly - albeit an impressive one.

A fantastic piece of work !! But as it has no fuel pump , can't see any injectors how can it claim to be a diesel engine ? Rather than a petrol ?

I just watched it again, no piston rings were fitted as far as I could see, and no oil pump to lubricate, but hey were being picky, a real masterpiece in engineering.

A fantastic piece of work !! But as it has no fuel pump , can't see any injectors how can it claim to be a diesel engine ? Rather than a petrol ?

No spark plugs :D

AN OPERATIONAL V-12 DIESEL ENGINE THAT FITS IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND.

Bogus claim...

Impressive I agree but dissapointing and completely missing the point that it didnt actually run as an engine.

Its just turned over with compressed air so actually its not an engine at all, its just a folly - albeit an impressive one.

...Spike is correct. First clue is the cams driven at crank speed...

It is a beautiful bit of kit, no doubt about it. But it's not an operating engine.
There are small operating CI engines that burn fuel - I have a 1cc one right here. Nothing like as pretty though!

I have seen tiny working v8 engines made by model makers that run with full throttle control . Fantastic things .

A phenominal piece of engineering, but wouldn't last long without big end shells!

A truly magnificent effort - a work of art (and at the end of the day, does a work of art really have a use? Not knocking art, by the way - I'm all for it).

Orwic

does a work of art really have a use?

Orwic

Nope. That is one definition of art - that it serves no practical purpose.
If it also has a practical purpose it is more likley craft.

Christ! What a a waste of time.
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Should have gone petrol.

Absolutely awesome. Be nice to see it being fitted into a model car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom