Seeing RED w211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsl

Car
E280 CDI Avantgarde
13000 kms on clock. 03/2005 280 Cdi

After cruising on Autovia at 120kph for 30 mins or so instrument cluster turned red and displayed message Oil Level Warning - Reduce oil level. Slowed to 100 kph and after 3 mins it changed to normal. 30 mins later same again. When at red shows 1 malfunction - this fault goes when display changes to normal colour.
Change the cluster display and it also cancels the red and he malfunction event.
Fine for normal usage then it happens again but only when doing prolonged higher cruising speeds.
Tried to check the oil level but the only thing that looks like a dipstick (apart from me) has a black plastic cover saying "MB technico only" to the rear of engine and bulkhead with bits of wire attached to it.

Far too complicated when you are used to Ford Model T. type machinery or is this a Mercedes "built-in heart check" device" :D !

Really must get an Owners Manual for this car but not available here in English - any ideas where they can be obtained in UK?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like the oil breather is blocked? At speed the pressure is building forcing the oil level up and triggering the sensor.

I'm sure your local dealer can order an english language handbook for you.

You can read the current on-line manual, it should mostly cover your car too as it is pretty new (less than half a year and this one will be replaced with a totally different manual):
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/w211/en/flash8.html

Those oil level sensors have had problems and have been warning about too high oil level when the level is actually fine. But I thought a 2005 car would not suffer this any more. Better to figure out what it really is (like the breather as above).

You can read the current on-line manual, it should mostly cover your car too as it is pretty new (less than half a year and this one will be replaced with a totally different manual):
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual-cars/ba/cars/w211/en/flash8.html

Those oil level sensors have had problems and have been warning about too high oil level when the level is actually fine. But I thought a 2005 car would not suffer this any more. Better to figure out what it really is (like the breather as above).

Many thanks to both for your advice. Checked the site and it shows a petrol engine location for the dipstick which looks completely different to what I can find. Is the 280/320 Cdi dipstick in the same location and does it actually have the cables connected to the top of it? The car has recently had an oil change and would prefer to check it out before taking it to a dealer.

Checked the site and it shows a petrol engine location for the dipstick which looks completely different to what I can find. Is the 280/320 Cdi dipstick in the same location and does it actually have the cables connected to the top of it? The car has recently had an oil change and would prefer to check it out before taking it to a dealer.

Forgive me but I don't remember when the E280CDI was changed from the I6 for to the V6, does your car already have the V6? If not, the engine would be quite different and the current user manual is misleading.

Which wires are you referring to? If you do have a dipstick, there are no wires on top of it, the engine oil level and quality is monitored by a different sensor at the oil pan.

It could be that the car really has too much oil if it has recently had oil changed. Your options would be to check the oil level from the dipstick if your car has one, if it doesn't, you can check the oil level from the instrument cluster menu.

You might try to siphon out half a litre of oil and check the cluster computer afterwards (if you don't have the dipstick).

You're not mistaking the gearbox dipstick (also fake) for the engine one?

Forgive me but I don't remember when the E280CDI was changed from the I6 for to the V6, does your car already have the V6? If not, the engine would be quite different and the current user manual is misleading.
You might try to siphon out half a litre of oil and check the cluster computer afterwards (if you don't have the dipstick).

Thank you for your reply. The car has the I6 engine and this is why I am confused regarding the online manual. This car does not appear to have a dipstick and the manual info refers to "E420CDI Only" stating that all other models have a dipstick. I have tried the E420 proceedure but have been unable to find any reference to the oil level in the display or maybe the proceedure does not comply to the 280 electronics. Perhaps this "online manual" is a little new for my engine/car. I will ask a friend in the UK to order a manual from a UK dealer as the Spanish mob will take months to get one but, in the meantime, I am at a loss apart from losing the car for a whole day just to have the oil level checked. There are no "walk-in" instant answers here - I tried 2 dealers on arrival in Granada.

Like Druk says, this car would have the gearbox dipstick tube visible (without a dipstick too) while the engine oil dipstick tube is under the engine cover (but no dipstick).

You would have to let the car stay switched off for at least 5 minutes before measuring the oil level, 30 minutes if the engine is cold. Engine obviously switched off when measuring. I hope the attached copy of the US manual helps.

Last edited:
Like Druk says, this car would have the gearbox dipstick tube visible (without a dipstick too) while the engine oil dipstick tube is under the engine cover (but no dipstick).

I hope the attached copy of the US manual helps.

Thanks again. Yes, Oil level checked and reports OK. :) Level ground and overnight cold. I suppose now I have to consider the blocked breather or the sensor itself.:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom