Seeking 190E Cosworth owner for interview

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theseoldcars

Car
Toyota Supra
Afternoon all. My name is Lewis and I'm putting together a magazine article that features the 190E Cosworth, and I was wondering if any owners here would be willing to have a brief chat with me about their car for the article – why they bought it, what it's been like, and so on.

We'd also need a couple of pictures, namely a headshot and a snap of the car or two. Either a 2.3 or 2.5 is fine, by the way, and the interview can be carried out via email, DM or over the telephone.

If anyone's willing to contribute, or knows someone who might be up for talking about their car, just drop me a line. I can be reached here, or on [email protected].

Thanks in advance, and I hope you all have a great week.

Hi Lewis, @Will on here would be worth a chat to, as would @stwat who is well known on the 190 Forum.

I've linked to them here as they will hopefully now see your post and be able to respond. I'd have volunteered myself but I've just sold mine so no longer eligible. :(

One potential talking point is the use of the word Cosworth in the description of these vehicles. To my knowledge Mercedes never used the description "Cosworth " either in their sales brochures or used decals/badges on the cars or engines preferring to call them 190 2.3-16v or 2.5-16v models. This in contrast to their liberal use of the word AMG on their more recent models! Is the use of the word Cosworth to describe these vehicles in common parlance a particularly British / English language phenomenon due to the geographical location of the Cosworth company I wonder or maybe a copyright issue ? Happy to be proved wrong on this one, just interested to know.
ps The engines were originally developed to homologate the 190 for MB to enter the group B rallying program but this was subsequently cancelled

Last edited:
One potential talking point is the use of the word Cosworth in the description of these vehicles. To my knowledge Mercedes never used the description "Cosworth " either in their sales brochures or used decals/badges on the cars or engines preferring to call them 190 2.3-16v or 2.5-16v models. This in contrast to their liberal use of the word AMG on their more recent models! Is the use of the word Cosworth to describe these vehicles in common parlance a particularly British / English language phenomenon due to the geographical location of the Cosworth company I wonder or maybe a copyright issue ? Happy to be proved wrong on this one, just interested to know.
ps The engines were originally developed to homologate the 190 for MB to enter the group B rallying program but this was subsequently cancelled
IIRC , only the 2.3 head was designed by Cosworth , the 2.5 was an in house job , yet some people refer to both as ‘Cosworths’ .

And , yes , AIUI , some owners applied Cosworth badges taken from Ford Sierras and the like .

The cars were never officially acknowledged as Cosworth as mentioned here. The term just started to get used in recognition of the people who designed the top end, primarily in the UK but quickly followed by the US and other countries. Obviously Mercedes would never call it such as it would have detracted from their own tuning capabilities, even though AMG were still very independent in those days. They would also have had to admit to using a British company which may not have gone down too well in certain circles

IIRC , only the 2.3 head was designed by Cosworth , the 2.5 was an in house job , yet some people refer to both as ‘Cosworths’ .

And , yes , AIUI , some owners applied Cosworth badges taken from Ford Sierras and the like .

The 2.5 was also a Cosworth designed and can be verified by the "Coscast" casting marks on several of them as far as I'm aware. This WIKI page seems to back this up.

The cars were never officially acknowledged as Cosworth as mentioned here. The term just started to get used in recognition of the people who designed the top end, primarily in the UK but quickly followed by the US and other countries. Obviously Mercedes would never call it such as it would have detracted from their own tuning capabilities, even though AMG were still very independent in those days. They would also have had to admit to using a British company which may not have gone down too well in certain circles

That's a very good point – and, indeed, all the Mercedes documentation and press materials from that era solely refers to them as the 190 E 2.3-16/2.5-16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom