Seems I sold my car to an idiot!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
I sold my S Class back on the 31st of July to a chap from Stratford, London. Him and his brother came to look at the car, were keen, we struck a deal and he took there car there and then. Was all a bit quicker than anticipated but he transferred the money to me, all went through fine, V5 filled in, new keeper slip to him and off he went.

We get to yesterday and a letter comes through my door for a parking fine he's managed to get. Overstaying in a space, £60. Annoying but it happens. I have e-mailed the Gemini Parking Solutions with details and hopefully they'll go after him instead.

Today, another letter through the door, this time for not paying to drive into the ULEZ!! I sold the car because it's not compliant and I'm about 100m inside the proposed expansion. His address is in the ULEZ anyway but I didn't think anything of it, he didn't ask so that was that.

I have gone onto the Gov website and submitted my representation on there. Including the THREE MORE occasions he's driven round the ULEZ without paying.
mad

So this guy has accumulated nearly £400 in fines, within the first four days of owning the car. The first being 9am the next day!

Thankfully I took a photo of the new keeper form before I sent it off which I have provided as evidence, also screen shots of the two bank transfers which helpfully he labelled with the cars registration as the reference and screenshots of the advert I took out on Autotrader.

I can't work out if this guy is a total idiot or a scamming git who's hoping to get away with it. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

It seems my quick and seemingly easy sale has turned into a massive hassle and I have no idea what's going to drop through the front door in the next week or two until the DVLA updates things.

Or, knows exactly what he is doing

Have you notified DVLA of change of keeper?
Well exactly! I mean it seems odd he's managed to accumulate fiver 'offences' within four days of owning the car. I suspect there will be more to come.

I sent off the form the old fashioned way so I can only hope the DVLA update the details ASAP and I get the form through to me. I had a long drive straight after the sale so naively thought I'd send it off in the post, never had a problem with this happening in the past 20 years of selling on cars. :(

Sorry to say this, but you’re likely to receive lots more penalty notices as the DVLA will take some time to deal with the postal change of keeper.

Any reason why you didn’t do it online? You get an email confirmation by return, and the paper “no longer registered to you” confirmation in the post in less than a week.

Sorry to say this, but you’re likely to receive lots more penalty notices as the DVLA will take some time to deal with the postal change of keeper.

Any reason why you didn’t do it online? You get an email confirmation by return, and the paper “no longer registered to you” confirmation in the post in less than a week.
I had a 250 mile drive ahead of me immediately after the sale so just filled in the form, cash cleared no problem so thought no more of it. Posted the form the following day as I have always done.

Wasn't until after I'd sent the form I thought I could have done it online by which point the form was on it's way and they advise not to do it online as well anyway.

Either way, it's done now so I guess I just have to speak up against any more fines I get in the post. Of which I can assume there will be plenty. I have the guys contact number as well but I'm mindful of letting him know if he has some way of making it more difficult.

I had the same problem a long time ago with a shady character who said he would post the forms for me to save hassle.
He picked up a fine for speeding camera shortly after the sale. I did as you did with all the evidence and they revoked it.
I now notify change of ownership online instantly, that’s the only safe way.

I had a 250 mile drive ahead of me immediately after the sale so just filled in the form, cash cleared no problem so thought no more of it. Posted the form the following day as I have always done.

Wasn't until after I'd sent the form I thought I could have done it online by which point the form was on it's way and they advise not to do it online as well anyway.

Either way, it's done now so I guess I just have to speak up against any more fines I get in the post. Of which I can assume there will be plenty. I have the guys contact number as well but I'm mindful of letting him know if he has some way of making it more difficult.
I’m sure it will sort out when the paperwork changes names , it’s going to give you some paperwork to do up to that point though .
Have you checked to see if the vehicle is now insured and taxed ?
I would be wary about informing him of the fines , not sure if you would be digging a hole for yourself ??

It's showing as taxed and insured, he did the tax there and then although I wasn't looking at his screen as he was doing it. But certainly shows it online.

I'm inclined to agree, I'll leave it for the powers that be to track him down. If he keeps going with the ULEZ charges he's going to get quite a shock.

Is it possible he's somehow reached the conclusion that the car is ULEZ-compliant?

Is it possible he's somehow reached the conclusion that the car is ULEZ-compliant?
I did wonder that as well. I mean he didn't even ask and seemingly knows he's in the ULEZ. I'd have thought anyone buying in that area would have done their homework though and it's easily checked online. Plus it's a 13 year old diesel car so common sense should say something but who really knows.

He's either very daft or a sneaky sh!t. He didn't seem clueless about cars though but then he may have just been making things up. Who knows.

If you've still got the buyers contact details -give him a call and let him know about all the fines that are being incurred. He might be totally unaware as all correspondance is going to you until the registered keeper is updated. At least if you inform him, he will have the opportunity to make the ULEZ payments before incurring more fines.

Unless the new owner has just landed from Mars and moved to Stratford , or just passed his driving test last month . He knows all about the ULEZ .
After all he must have been driving before and had another car .

If the Advert you stated it was not ULEZ compliant then thats his problem , also his problem that he lives in a ULEZ and has not done his homework before buying a car.

PITA for you , but I don't see any comeback for you . As suggested, maybe just a txt to the guy ? After all he might be an Idiot .

The fact that the car is both taxed and insured tends to suggest that the buyer is legit. An idiot regarding the ULEZ, but legit. However, he has also attracted at least one private parking charge in short order, and the combination of that and the ULEZ infractions would be a red flag to me.

My gut feel is to simply respond to any and all demands regarding infractions with evidence that the vehicle is not the OP's responsibility, and let them deal with it.

If you've still got the buyers contact details -give him a call and let him know about all the fines that are being incurred. He might be totally unaware as all correspondance is going to you until the registered keeper is updated. At least if you inform him, he will have the opportunity to make the ULEZ payments before incurring more fines.
There is that, I'm just not sure if the guy is a div or a conman and just out there driving around without a care because he knows the fines won't come to him. Or he's registered false details with the DVLA.

If the Advert you stated it was not ULEZ compliant then thats his problem , also his problem that he lives in a ULEZ and has not done his homework before buying a car.

PITA for you , but I don't see any comeback for you . As suggested, maybe just a txt to the guy ? After all he might be an Idiot .
I didn't state anything regarding ULEZ but I think it does automatically pick that up on AT, I can't recall but then anyone in the ULEZ should do their homework so I'm not worried, he could have checked.

I'm torn about texting the guy as I don't need a load of fuss around a car I sold him. Yes it was a private sale and I have no obligation to him but by contrast don't need him coming round causing hassle.

The fact that the car is both taxed and insured tends to suggest that the buyer is legit. An idiot regarding the ULEZ, but legit. However, he has also attracted at least one private parking charge in short order, and the combination of that and the ULEZ infractions would be a red flag to me.

My gut feel is to simply respond to any and all demands regarding infractions with evidence that the vehicle is not the OP's responsibility, and let them deal with it.
Well yes that was my thought, like you the parking fine and the ULEZ implies the guy is either massively stupid or just doesn't care.

I have responded to all of the letters through their official methods providing what they asked as all of the forms give you the opportunity to state if someone else owns or was using the vehicle at the time etc.

Wouldn't it be funny if this guy you are all calling an idiot is a member of this forum? Lol

Wouldn't it be funny if this guy you are all calling an idiot is a member of this forum? Lol
I mean the S Class world is probably quite a small one. haha

I stand by my comment. I mean racking up a potential £700+ in fines (if not paid) within four days does seem pretty moronic or deliberately uncaring.

The buyer might be an "idiot" or just not care, but imagine purchasing a new car and racking up hundreds or thousand of pounds in fines that you don't know about. The decent thing would be to contact him and let him know. Once you've done that, it's down to him to sort it out.

The buyer might be an "idiot" or just not care, but imagine purchasing a new car and racking up hundreds or thousand of pounds in fines that you don't know about. The decent thing would be to contact him and let him know. Once you've done that, it's down to him to sort it out.
Maybe he is an idiot , maybe he doesn’t care , maybe he’s a criminal .
If it’s the latter I would personally be wary of getting involved , but that’s me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom