Seems I sold my car to an idiot!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The decent thing would be to contact him and let him know.
That presumes that the purchaser is also a decent person. If, however, he’s a scammer it’s a perfect way to become mired in his world.

The reality is that the ULEZ operator will quickly follow up on the OP’s information because they want the money, so the purchaser will find out soon enough.

I’d also drop him a text message or email (so there’s a record) using very non-confrontational words.

“I hope you are enjoying your new car, I’m certainly missing it. I have received some ULEZ charges and a parking ticket through the post as the latest registered keeper. I’m letting you know in case you regularly travel into the ULEZ area. Enjoy your new car”

Or if you want to be a bit more street but still non-confrontational you could say.

“How is da whip, dat’s a dope ride. I got fines stacking up, no cap Bruh. I’m no finger but da feds will catch up eventually. Jus stay flexin”

Well the world of holding everyones hand strikes again.
The nice thing to do is inform him, But then you get all the agro you never told me etc etc, i want my money back i'm gonna stripper you new car etc etc, or he may say thanks for letting me know (let me think how this will play out).
Me i would stay out of it, everything these days is someone else's fault don't put yourself in a position for agro.
He maybe the type that wants to run it around for 6 months and sell it on once he has robbed the bank, giving someone else the agro.
Just one last view you sold that at a good price to them, he runs it around for a couple of months and then sells it for 2k more, is he going to phone you and give you some of the money, if you think that tell him but only by text.

Sometimes AT incorrectly categorises cars as ULEZ compliant.

The nice thing to do is inform him, But then you get all the agro you never told me etc etc, i want my money back i'm gonna stripper you new car etc etc, or he may say thanks for letting me know (let me think how this will play out).
Me i would stay out of it, everything these days is someone else's fault don't put yourself in a position for agro.
He maybe the type that wants to run it around for 6 months and sell it on once he has robbed the bank, giving someone else the agro.
Just one last view you sold that at a good price to them, he runs it around for a couple of months and then sells it for 2k more, is he going to phone you and give you some of the money, if you think that tell him but only by text.
He could bring the paint stripper (or worse) round for not telling him and he runs up huge fines which he can’t pay. Lose lose.

Upon reflection I'd stay out of it.
And never sell a car privately again (I stopped doing that 20 years ago after a stressful sale)

Hi , well the last car I sold was used a a ram raid vehicle ( cannot remember all details )
Well that’s clearly a one in a million scenario!

When I sold my last RS3 to a dealership (a Wednesday) they said they would send it to auction as its mileage was too high for their forecourt. The next Monday I received a NIP - car seen doing 100 mph on the M1! So my best guess is the new owner lost his / her license within 24 hrs of buying it!

Getting a NIP for a car I had sold made my heart race for sure! Thankfully I had the ‘no longer the registered keeper’ slip. Change of ownership paperwork was done in the dealership and clearly they were efficient so they could sell it on.

I sold my S Class back on the 31st of July to a chap from Stratford, London. Him and his brother came to look at the car, were keen, we struck a deal and he took there car there and then. Was all a bit quicker than anticipated but he transferred the money to me, all went through fine, V5 filled in, new keeper slip to him and off he went.

We get to yesterday and a letter comes through my door for a parking fine he's managed to get. Overstaying in a space, £60. Annoying but it happens. I have e-mailed the Gemini Parking Solutions with details and hopefully they'll go after him instead.

Today, another letter through the door, this time for not paying to drive into the ULEZ!! I sold the car because it's not compliant and I'm about 100m inside the proposed expansion. His address is in the ULEZ anyway but I didn't think anything of it, he didn't ask so that was that.

I have gone onto the Gov website and submitted my representation on there. Including the THREE MORE occasions he's driven round the ULEZ without paying.
mad

So this guy has accumulated nearly £400 in fines, within the first four days of owning the car. The first being 9am the next day!

Thankfully I took a photo of the new keeper form before I sent it off which I have provided as evidence, also screen shots of the two bank transfers which helpfully he labelled with the cars registration as the reference and screenshots of the advert I took out on Autotrader.

I can't work out if this guy is a total idiot or a scamming git who's hoping to get away with it. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

It seems my quick and seemingly easy sale has turned into a massive hassle and I have no idea what's going to drop through the front door in the next week or two until the DVLA updates things.
Probably being used as a taxi, limo or drug dealers car.;)

Could this work?

You sold to him, he kicks the ring out of the fines and sells to next guy in short order and he has never registered it to himself, leaves Alex and the next victim to argue it out?

I can't be doing with any issues with him. He's a grown man, we chatted about the ULEZ and he said that he lives in it. How anyone who lives in that zone then thinks a 14 year old diesel is compliant is a bit dense or a scamming little sh!t who knows what he's doing. Either way, I'm having nothing more to do with him, I've submitted my representations online for all six PCNs as I received another through the door and I'll let the powers that be deal with it.
Considering that each PCN was every single day within the first week he owned it, it's entirely likely I'll receive receive the second weeks' worth of PCNs soon. The new V5 was issued on the 15th so I'll get the slip through the post any day and hopefully the new V5 will show the owner from that date of sale too!

Probably being used as a taxi, limo or drug dealers car.;)
What do you think I was using it for............well chauffering my daughter back and forth to Bristol dealing in Haribos! 🤣

Could this work?

You sold to him, he kicks the ring out of the fines and sells to next guy in short order and he has never registered it to himself, leaves Alex and the next victim to argue it out?
Interesting point but he wouldn't be able to transfer to a new owner quick enough. The V5 has only just been issued as of the 15th, so there's two whole weeks during which he's wracked up the fines where no one else could have owned it. Unless someone is daft enough to buy it without the V5.

In short, I have a photo of the New Keeper slip with the guys details on and the date at which I sold it. So my hands according to the paperwork are clean.

Either way, he's managed £480 in fines so far which will double if he doesn't pay them. I can't imagine the ULEZ lot would let that slip where a private parking firm might if it gets tricky.

My only thought was if it'll be registered to a business and they'll just make out they don't know who was driving but then these costs still come to the registered keeper. Who know!

Did you ask to see his drivers licence verifying his address and photo id?

reason I ask is...had a road traffic officer call me and barked that at me

after I sold an audi that was involved in a serious incident

Cash sale false name (before online banking being the norm) Live & Learn

Yes, I always ask to see the buyer’s Driver’s licence and use the name and address on a receipt like this. Both parties sign putting the date and time - so that nobody gets any unwanted surprises!

79446ECE-8A54-41DE-ABA3-424F088AD760.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom