Seems like an easy mess free way to change atf

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
From the benzworld site, you have join to see some pics, not sure why he kept stopping the engine i would say use a big enough container and keep running engine until fluid stops flowing.

Here Flushed my tranny - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Obviously in the uk running around saying you flushed your tranny wont win you any friends:D

Lynall

tbh for a job that needs doing every 50k miles or so it is worth dropping the pan and changing the filter....if a job's worth doing.....

I still reckon you have to replace the filter and sump gasket but you only get 2.5/3 litres of oil out this way would get most out.

Jay after i had posted i was thinking the same thing ie getting to hot internally even if its only for a few seconds.

Lynall

Seen that before on that site. The rads different on my car so i cant do it the same as they have done . Also i thought you might be by passing the torque convertor doing it that way and just empting the transmission cooling points ? Shoot me down in flames if im wrong :eek:

I think he said he got over 6 litres out so max 3 in the sump 1.5 or so in the cooler lines, so may have got some out of the t/c or just from the valve block.

Point being he got a lot more out than i do by just draining the sump, got to service mine soon so may have a look, but its on original rad so may not be able to undo fittings:)

I think the indis who do it disconnect the lines underneath, so this way would work if you have no ramp or underneath access.

Looks like you are right and it does bypass the t/c.

Quick google reveals
Oil Pump
The transmission oil pump (not to be confused with the pump element inside the torque converter) is responsible for producing all the oil pressure that is required in the transmission. The oil pump is mounted to the front of the transmission case and is directly connected to a flange on the torque converter housing. Since the torque converter housing is directly connected to the engine crankshaft, the pump will produce pressure whenever the engine is running as long as there is a sufficient amount of transmission fluid available. The oil enters the pump through a filter that is located at the bottom of the transmission oil pan and travels up a pickup tube directly to the oil pump. The oil is then sent, under pressure to the pressure regulator, the valve body and the rest of the components, as required.

Lynall

Lynall

Last edited:
tbh for a job that needs doing every 50k miles or so it is worth dropping the pan and changing the filter....if a job's worth doing.....

yep i agree. drop the pan, change the filter (and if you can) drain the Torque Convertor.

I think he said he got over 6 litres out so max 3 in the sump 1.5 or so in the cooler lines, so may have got some out of the t/c or just from the valve block.

Point being he got a lot more out than i do by just draining the sump, got to service mine soon so may have a look, but its on original rad so may not be able to undo fittings:)

I think the indis who do it disconnect the lines underneath, so this way would work if you have no ramp or underneath access.

Looks like you are right and it does bypass the t/c.

Quick google reveals
Oil Pump
The transmission oil pump (not to be confused with the pump element inside the torque converter) is responsible for producing all the oil pressure that is required in the transmission. The oil pump is mounted to the front of the transmission case and is directly connected to a flange on the torque converter housing. Since the torque converter housing is directly connected to the engine crankshaft, the pump will produce pressure whenever the engine is running as long as there is a sufficient amount of transmission fluid available. The oil enters the pump through a filter that is located at the bottom of the transmission oil pan and travels up a pickup tube directly to the oil pump. The oil is then sent, under pressure to the pressure regulator, the valve body and the rest of the components, as required.

Lynall

Lynall
Something i was right with then :rock:

I dont know why but i always had it in my head the t/c was the oil pump but of course that wouldnt work.
I realsie the t/c is an oil pump but its not the oil pump:)

Lynall

yep i agree. drop the pan, change the filter (and if you can) drain the Torque Convertor.

Dont forget after iirc 2000 draining the t/c is not an option, hence pushing the oil out of the lines.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom