Seized callipers and other things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
A few Questions if anyone would be kind enough.....

1. Ay idea how brakes, working perfectly when taken to main dealer for service and MoT, could then be found to have seized callipers?

2. Any idea what the "plastic bit" in a radiator is and what causes it to break necessitating a whole new radiator?,

3. Any idea what the price is for the most basic service is at a MB main dealer.

Thanks folks.

Dunno about the brakes but when I had my ac condenser changed this required the atf pipe to be disconnected from the rad. There is a little plastic grommet that joins the pipe to the rad. When my pipe was disconnected the grommet just completely fell apart (a common problem ive now discovered !) . As its part of the rad and is not sold separately by MB (buggers)

1. Ay idea how brakes, working perfectly when taken to main dealer for service and MoT, could then be found to have seized callipers?

They can't work perfectly if seized but it's not uncommon for calipers to partially seize. That doesn't necessarily mean they need to be replaced - unless of course you take it to an MB dealer who may suggest the easy and profitable option. If you take it somewhere else they may attempt to free up and lubricate the calipers.

1: What 190 said.
Usually it’s a slider that’s seized so the pad wears on an angle, like a wedge shape. Brakes will seem to work OK if there’s plenty of meat on the pad and you don’t notice it as bad because it’s gradual. You realise when it’s sorted and new brakes are bed in.
2: Sounds like poormansporsche has that covered!
3: Depends what/which service you have and what you call ‘basic’; A service £250-400+, B service £300-600+ depending where you’re at on the service schedule. Have a search on here though, there’s plenty of threads with pros and cons of dealer vs indy servicing and the costs pay as you go vs service plan.

Re the seized caliper ...
I've had two experiences on a W210 where a two-piston caliper (one on each side of the disc) had one piston seized.
The rate of pad wear was slow, so that the moving piston was pushing the pad against the disc and the disc was deflecting very slightly and was pressing against the other pad.
The breaking effort was (for a short period of time) still sufficient to stop the car and was within the required specification for the MOT test.
This probably happens fairly-often.

Because it's not a service item, it's common for pistons to get stiff or partially seize. The first outcome is relaxation of the piston seal will no longer be able to retract the pads when the brakes are released and you then get a degree of brake drag or squeal. At least half the cars on the road probably have brake drag. Single piston calipers are up against it in this respect with only one seal to retract one pad and to slide the caliper. Replacing calipers is not a sensible substitute for routine maintenance and lubrication. With some care they should easily last the life of the vehicle. I've made a mental note to do mine before the winter. Shame it's not as easy as maintaining the caliper on my 40 year old motorcycle which is still original and functions perfectly with zero brake drag.

Brake Seal.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom