Seized Water Pump E320 CDi (on M6)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morzov

Technically this has now been resolved but I thought it worth posting my experience and warning signs I probably should have picked up on because the water pump seized on the M6 in torrential rain throwing the polybelt off.

The car had been vibrating at tickover for some weeks (I thought it might have been an injector but no fault codes showed up). Then driving up the M6 on Tues the low coolant warning light came on. I stopped almost immediately and looked in the engine bay - no sign of leaks anywhere so topped up water and continued my journey to Lake District keeping a sharp eye on the temp gauge which remained stable. I checked the water level before returning yesterday and it was fine.

However down near j14 in 50mph roadworks section the red visit workshop light came on. I find the M6 roadwork sections need maximum concentration at the best of times - narrow lanes and artics either driving right up behind or undertaking clearly going over 50mph. Factor in torrential rain and immediately loss of power steering and the engine cutting and it gets a bit hairy to say the least. Luckily I was in the inside lane and just approaching the offslip so was able to get off the motorway.

I thought it worth posting this because it really could have turned out very differently.

Luckily I hadn't done anything about my RAC membership and it renewed by default. They were excellent - patrol van in 30 mins and then recovery truck about 2-3 hrs later. Took me back to my local indy where he managed to get the car into the only free space in a crowded street even though battery was flat. Have to say I was really impressed with the RAC. Car was fixed and ready with new pump and belt by 12 noon next day.

Not so luckily its gone back into limp mode this morning (DPF - long running saga!).

My S203 Cdi recently started a slight vibration on tick over that caused the serpentine belt to flap a little.
As the tensioner and belt were new I knew it was not any of those.
I took off the belt and checked each running item and I found that there is slight play in the water pump.

One could be forgiven for thinking it was an injector or fuel problem. Always best to start with the simple things first.

sounds Like my experience with my S211 220cdi, kick myself for not heeding the warning signs of the extra vibes, came to a halt on a dual carriageway after temp gauge went high rapidly. new belt and pump after tow home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom