SeLectric

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...Have you researched the other issues mentioned such as type approval, insurance, impact on ride and handling?

What were your findings?
Type approval shouldn't be required. It's just a change of fuel type and I'm currently trying to get a definitive answer from DVLA that the Taxation Class would be changed to suit and hence the reduced (i.e. currently £0) VED rate. They did imply that was the case, but I'm trying to get something more concrete.
Not asked about insurance, but I don't see why that should be an issue and it's not the biggest concern.
There should be little impact on ride, handling etc. As a rough guide, the batteries will likely weigh about the same as the original ICE. So there'll be the additional weight of the electric motor(s), but that should be less than 200Kgs, so not a huge increase overall. I doubt you'd notice that in an SL.

Biggest concern in fact is that this would be a very hard car to convert. So much integration of electronic control systems, so I really think it is not practical. Certainly not as a one off. But as I said, I've not given up the idea of an electric conversion, so I'll just sell the SL. Annoyingly I cannot yet post an ad to the Classified section.

How does this work for the emergency services. In the event of a crash are they not trained to treat EV's differently ? Risk of electric shock ? mechanics certainly are. How will they know it's an EV while its on fire/smashed up and they need to cut it open or hose it down ?

Genuine question, is it even an issue :dk: ?

Type approval shouldn't be required. It's just a change of fuel type and I'm currently trying to get a definitive answer from DVLA that the Taxation Class would be changed to suit and hence the reduced (i.e. currently £0) VED rate. They did imply that was the case, but I'm trying to get something more concrete..

At the very least you will need an accompanying engineer's report - someone well versed in EV technology. You will also need receipts for motor(s) and batteries - make sure you have them. Don't be surprised if you are quizzed on disposal methods of discarded parts.

One cut to any part of a chassis invokes IVA. Your only hope of avoiding that is if an MOT tester doesn't object to it and waves it through - jeopardising his own MOT certification. If IVA is invoked then a points system is applied to ascertain if the original reg # can be retained. Points are accrued on axles, steering gear, etc - and engine/drivetrain. Crucially though an 'unmodified' chassis is required as part of the points accrual. Or, a Q plate is issued. The alternative is all new - no part ever part of a road registered vehicle (one permitted refurbed item - proof required) - in which case a current plate is issued. But with the SL shell that can't happen.

There should be little impact on ride, handling etc. As a rough guide, the batteries will likely weigh about the same as the original ICE. So there'll be the additional weight of the electric motor(s), but that should be less than 200Kgs, so not a huge increase overall. I doubt you'd notice that in an SL.

Weight distribution is crucial in dictating how a vehicle handles. Spring rates and anti-roll bar rates will have to be reconsidered and the relationships between them carefully matched.

I see from this months Gazette, the MB club magazine, that the SL shop has developed an electric R107 SL....

Reactions: 219

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom