Self adaptation EML

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
So, the car went in for its MOT and passed last month, but apparently threw an EML on

Carlos at MBS (who look after the car for me) applied some software changes and it went away, citing it as an Self adaptation error.

Its come back on, the car now hunts a little when cold or on idle but otherwise seems fine - indeed, it returned 38mpg on a run to Watford a couple of weeks ago:thumb:

Carlos says it isn't an emergency issue (when I popped in yesterday), but as they were swamped with jobs and cars I have booked in for 2 weeks time when we can look at it properly.

Sounds like it may be running a little lean (not really noticeable in day to day driving) but has anyone else come across this?

Me (well, a mechanic mate) changed the spark plugs as part of a labour swap (I rebuilt his computer) as recommended by MBS just before the MOT. That's shouldn't have made any difference (Bosch in), and it had a minor service with MBS last month so maintenance is up to date.

Just interested to know if this is a common / regular issue with other cars?

Cheers

As per profile it's a clk280....

It's an 09 with 62k and FSH

Well you need to read the fault codes then post them here...

Also, have you checked that the new spark plugs are correct for the engine?

Codes read via Star and I am told it's not the plugs (which were correct for car)

Will update FYI when it's been in for a proper look over

Cheers

Just thought I would follow up on this

Back in early August I took the car into MBS and Carlos spent an hour with Star resetting, letting the ECU sort itself (and cleaning the air filters)
It was well out of kilter, with mixture, knock and other voodoo related issues I don't understand: possibly due to bad batch of fuel?
Sorted and has been fine for a month now (including a gearbox downshift clunk that seems to have been a symptom)

Just needed someone skilled on STAR to coax the car into calming down so that the software and sensors could do their job with no distractions
The filters weren't that dirty either.......
A happy ending (and not too expensive):banana:

Makes sense; if the original fault was an "adaptation error", then it is likely to have got stuck trying to re-learn the fuelling and timing curves.

The reason for the symptoms is that the ECM can't close the monitors which eventually will put the CEL on.
By conducting a base line of the engine it is a fair call to determine if there is a mechanical issue or simply sensors and/or communication.

As a general rule you have about 7 or 8 monitors that need to close. As a UK & USA emission trained mechanic I can get by with one still "open" notably its usually something do with Sec EVAPs.
This is not voodoo or a black art, it merely the appliance of science.

Step one (You don't need a bloody "Star" for this) You simply need an overview of what "Wazzzup Mate " simple things first ! (K.I.S.S. mantra applies!)
Get a code reader or anything that can read Monitors and I/M 240 read outs! Even Global OBD 2 perhaps
From that info taken you will see reports on each monitor .
It will be either CLOSED -- INC (inconclusive) or OPEN.
There is the first clue! What's INC and what's left OPEN
after taking vehicle through the drive cycles !

Doing the drive cycles can be a challenge so beware! MB systems are notorious for drift and difficulty, you must follow the cycle demands to the letter to get closure .
(At this point I feel compelled to state from experience that Toyota is the easiest system to achieve monitor closure.)
See if you can do this first and save yourself some dosh!
I charge $135 per hours to do this and scud about all day closing monitors in customers cars.
Go scudding about with a monitor close out schedule then report what you have got.
All the best
Tuercas Viejas

Air mass meter is common for this on the M272 engine providing there aren't any air leaks and the codes relate to both engine banks.
Done lots

I had been told the same Wayne

MAF was replaced around Easter (Bosch) if that's what you refer to.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom