Self charging hybrid c 300 h

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The really nice thing about the 'self-charging' hybrids (isn't this a Lexus derived terminology?) is they never runs out of charge.

It seems to be a bit of Toyota nonsense terminology taht is spreading to otgher manufacturers.

You tend to 'run out of charge' after a two or three miles with some of these vehicles - just as well they ave fuel tankes.
Regenerative braking is great. I can go from 50% charge to 90% just in the 1/2 mile downhill to my house! Brake pads and discs can easily last past 100k miles.
The downside is one cannot pre-condition the car interior, well not in the Lexus. Is it the same with the Mercedes version?
I wasn't enamoured by the regenerative braking in the Lexus I had for a week - the was quite wary of the feel of the brakes - I guess you get used to it.

I wasn't overly impressed by the fuel consumption on a gentle run from Buckinghamshire to Central Scotland via the Yorkshire Dales either.

Welcome. The C300h is IIRC essentially a C250d or C220d with a mild hybrid system. If debadged, they can be spotted by having blue front calipers (Though the petrol equivalent may also have blue calipers I guess). The C-class is a nice car IMHO and the extra traction from the electric motor under acceleration is no doubt a welcome bonus in performance. Enjoy your car.

On any journey e.g. the daily commute, that returns to the starting point, all of the gradients balance out to zero. So discounting wind and traffic conditions, there is no net gain in battery charge for free. Any energy gained from braking, was already expended due to acceleration.

Bottom line with these mild hybrids is that all of the energy used or ‘recovered’ has still come from the fuel tank. Being able to recover and store some of it under braking or whilst going downhill helps with overall efficiency. This, has to be balanced against the additional energy needed to lug the battery and associated equipment around. They are more complex than conventional cars and replacement costs for the hybrid battery pack is probably pretty steep. I hope the OP’s car stays reliable.

Last edited:
I love my c class 220d premium plus. It has loads of stuff I don’t understand, and all the rest of the stuff works randomly or not at all! But it all fades into insignificance when I get cozy in the heated sports seats on the way to work....

Bottom line with these mild hybrids is that all of the energy used or ‘recovered’ has still come from the fuel tank. Being able to recover and store some of it under braking or whilst going downhill helps with overall efficiency. This, has to be balanced against the additional energy needed to lug the battery and associated equipment around. They are more complex than conventional cars and replacement costs for the hybrid battery pack is probably pretty steep. I hope the OP’s car stays reliable.
Recovering the energy from braking can be quite useful with the right type of traffic (urban) and driving style (gentle braking so only regeneration is used). Conversely, cruising down the motorway means you don't get to recover anything but you are lugging extra weight about.

I find the 'self-charging hybrid' terminology quite irritating, as it is marketing designed to suggest an non-existent advantage over plug-in hybrids. Plug-in hybrids can also self charge, of course, as well as charge from the mains. There's enough uncertainty and confusion around the adoption of automotive electric technologies without manufacturers trying to muddy the waters.

Recovering the energy from braking can be quite useful with the right type of traffic (urban) and driving style (gentle braking so only regeneration is used). Conversely, cruising down the motorway means you don't get to recover anything but you are lugging extra weight about.

I find the 'self-charging hybrid' terminology quite irritating, as it is marketing designed to suggest an non-existent advantage over plug-in hybrids. Plug-in hybrids can also self charge, of course, as well as charge from the mains. There's enough uncertainty and confusion around the adoption of automotive electric technologies without manufacturers trying to muddy the waters.
The extra weight doesn’t make much difference when cruising down the motorway (makes a small difference to rolling resistance). On the other hand it makes a quite significant difference to the forces (and energy) needed for acceleration and braking.

Reactions: Ted

I do find the constant shutting off of engine and restarting upon slightest demand annoying. To the extent I flick into Sports or Sports+ mode as soon as I’m up and running. Kinda defeats the object of of the model but hey-ho.

I do find the constant shutting off of engine and restarting upon slightest demand annoying.
It does take a slightly different approach to acceleration, certainly in my Lexus I can move away from standstill to 20/25 mph easily enough keeping up with traffic without the ICE firing up. Mind you without the telltale icon on the dash it's really hard to tell when the engine cuts in/out anyway!

It does take a slightly different approach to acceleration, certainly in my Lexus I can move away from standstill to 20/25 mph easily enough keeping up with traffic without the ICE firing up. Mind you without the telltale icon on the dash it's really hard to tell when the engine cuts in/out anyway!
I must admit the ICE connection is remarkably seamless. Radio or music at even the lowest volume masks any noticeable noise. It’s more in my mind really.
However, your Lexus system is far superior. I can’t reach anywhere near your speed (unless small downhill gradient) without the ICE helping out. 🥴

Just been on the Mercedes UK site and be blowed if I could find this model, what am I doing wrong please?

I only found both the petrol and diesel C-class hybrids
They stopped making them in 2018.

That's why they are no longer listed.

This will give you plenty of info though.

I’ve got mixed feelings about the ‘self charging’ moniker for the non-pluging hybrids with small batteries..... But on balance, I think it’s somewhat redundant and verging on the misleading. It’s technically correct though, as self charging is precisely what it does, mainly ‘cos it can’t be externally charged.

I’ve got mixed feelings about the ‘self charging’ moniker for the non-pluging hybrids with small batteries..... But on balance, I think it’s somewhat redundant and verging on the misleading. It’s technically correct though, as self charging is precisely what it does, mainly ‘cos it can’t be externally charged.

Well until recently they were just 'hybrids' and then the marketeers clearly decided that wasn't good enough.

I'm concerned that 'self-charging' is being used to make them sound like they are new tech. I think it suits Toyota and Lexus to make out aht somehow this is new or novel.

When Toyota and Lexus pioneered the hybrid there were no plug-in versions from anyone?
Now with PHEV available they have to differentiate that original particular type of hybrid. So call it what it is, self-charging!

When Toyota and Lexus pioneered the hybrid there were no plug-in versions from anyone?
Now with PHEV available they have to differentiate that original particular type of hybrid. So call it what it is, self-charging!
Or just call it a non-plug in hybrid.

It's an ICE powered car with an energy store. 'Self-charging' is a misdirect.

I think the recent term ‘ mild hybrid’ probably covers it best...but then, most of the actual ’mild hybrids’ have tiny battery capacity and tiny electric power as well.

Still, when have the marketeers ever let truth and honesty get in the way?

Or just call it a non-plug in hybrid.

It's an ICE powered car with an energy store. 'Self-charging' is a misdirect.
I like the term non-plugin, perfectly descriptive.
But.. The Toyota/Lexus is self-charging, in that the ICE powers an electric generator to replenish the traction battery.
Must admit I'm not 100% about plugin hybrids once the traction battery has been exhausted. Does the ICE recharge it ir does it rely solely on being plugged back in to charge?
I guess all flavours of hybrid make use of regenerative braking?

Must admit I'm not 100% about plugin hybrids once the traction battery has been exhausted. Does the ICE recharge it ir does it rely solely on being plugged back in to charge?
Typically the ICE can charge the battery on a plug in hybrid. And there may energy capture from braking.

I would expect a PHEV to have a larger battery than the non-P HEV in order to get reasonable range.

Typically the ICE can charge the battery on a plug in hybrid. And there may energy capture from braking.

I would expect a PHEV to have a larger battery than the non-P HEV in order to get reasonable range.
My C350e PHEV does energy recovery from deceleration in certain modes and from braking in all modes, and also offers a mode where the ICE charges the battery as well as driving the car along the road....not that I ever use that mode as it seems a bit daft and it’s horribly inefficient as well as noisy.

Pretty certain all other PHEVs offer similar options.

I think the battery on the non-plugin C and E300h was just under 1kWh capacity. EV power is 21bhp I think. On my 2016 C350e it’s a slightly better 6.3kWh, but could do with being twice that...which it is on the newer versions. Mind you, I think MB only did that because they had to in order for them to qualify under the new rules and to stand any chance of selling any. The C350e has 90bhp of EV motive power, which isn’t too bad. Again, the new C300de has more with about 120bhp of EV grunt I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I nearly bought a 2015 in 2017 but was put off by a guy who had three as a company car,the C300H now costs about £40 grand new and you can buy a 3 year old one with 45 grand on the clock for £17 grand,the trade have spoken they do not like these cars .

Seriously? You bought a car and you don't know the tech behind it, Is it petrol or diesel, what did the salesman tell you?
Do you have a handbook with the car?
Hows it going with the 300h?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom