Self driving cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastcar155

MB Enthusiast
Car
A fast car
Hi , I cannot believe that the UK government will allow driverless cars any time soon.I have just read many threads on the forum with safety system inoperative.

Only reading this forum !

It is no good comparing light passenger cars with heavy commercial aircraft.Even aircraft with numerous back up systems crash so how many deaths will occur with driverless cars in 10 years time ?

A friend of mine who works in developing computer systems says with our knowledge today be prepared for high death rates on UK roads if our government pushes ahead with technology that we as yet do not have.

For people that cannot drive, autonomous vehicles may provide a useful means of personal transportation. On the other hand, there are a considerable number issues that still need to be overcome, not least of which liability in the event of collisions with other vehicles, damage to property and of course personal injuries.

In a lot of ways, a solution looking for a problem.

Will they be banning current cars then?

The issue is with driverless cars, not with autonomous driving.

Autonomous driving is just like autopilot on a plane, the human is still in charge (and legally responsible).

Autonomous driving has been around for a while and will continue to improve with time.

But driverless cars? Difficult to say. We only have a very limited number of driverless trains at current (airport shuttles, DLR, etc), so not sure when (if ever) driverless cars will become a thing... perhaps we'll see pilotless planes sooner than driverless cars.

Last edited:
The issue is with driverless cars, not with autonomous driving.

Autonomous driving is just like autopilot on a plane, the human is still in charge (and legally responsible).

Autonomous driving has been around for a while and will continue to improve with time.

But driverless cars? Difficult to say. We only have a very limited number of driverless trians at current (airport shuttles, DLR, etc), so not sure when (if ever) driverless cars will become a thing... perhaps we'll see pilotless planes sooner than driverless cars.
Expecting the human driver to remain engaged in, taking responsibility and liability, for a process that is being managed autonomously by a computer system is frankly an insane proposition, that remarkably seems to be acceptable to many.

Expecting the human driver to remain engaged in, taking responsibility and liability, for a process that is being managed autonomously by a computer system is frankly an insane proposition, that remarkably seems to be acceptable to many.

The same was said about autopilot, incidentally.

We have a computer supervised by a human. It has been suggested that it should be the other way around - the human flying the plane, while the computer supervises the human. Which is what driver aids in cars currently do - they don't drive the car, instead they 'correct' the human (passively or actively) when the human makes a mistake (or is perceived to have made one).

With regards autopilot... the most commonly heard phrase in black box recording, apparently, is "What is it doing now?", with the pilots trying to understand what the plane does (that's the official version, anyway - I'm guessing that the most common phrases are made-up of four-letter words.....).

A true driverless car will have no steering wheel, no pedals and no occupant accessible controls at all. Everything else requires human attention, however much autonomy is claimed.

Elon Musk has conned £000s out of Tesla customers through asking them to pay up front for a ‘full self driving’ system promised for an unknown point in the future.

Tesla recently admitted, in its trademark roundabout way. that FSD was not going to be delivered.

The same was said about autopilot, incidentally.

We have a computer supervised by a human. It has been suggested that it should be the other way around - the human flying the plane, while the computer supervises the human. Which is what driver aids in cars currently do - they don't drive the car, instead they 'correct' the human (passively or actively) when the human makes a mistake (or is perceived to have made one).

With regards autopilot... the most commonly heard phrase in black box recording, apparently, is "What is it doing now?", with the pilots trying to understand what the plane does (that's the official version, anyway - I'm guessing that the most common phrases are made-up of four-letter words.....).
I think there are a number of important differences between; autopilot in an aircraft where the most likely thing it will run into is the ground and where there are several degrees of freedom for course adjustments to avoid other airborne hazards, and a road vehicle that operates in close proximity to lots of things it can run into to or that can run into it, with limited degrees of freedom to make course adjustments.

However, like aircraft, I‘ll be surprised if automated driving leads in general to vehicles without driver controls at all. Whilst the controls are present, there is always the possibility to hand off liabilities to the poor sap sat behind the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom