Self driving lorries now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This could end in tears.

A group of trucks bunching together will in effect be blocking motorway exits for the hard of thinking out there. The ones I mean are the ones who have to pass everything before the last minute dash for the slip road. In that "I'll just pass that wagon before I...Oh, there's three of them together"

It may work fine where there is a decent road network in place, though with our motorway system and ill disciplined drivers I can only see problems.

This could end in tears.

A group of trucks bunching together will in effect be blocking motorway exits for the hard of thinking out there. The ones I mean are the ones who have to pass everything before the last minute dash for the slip road. In that "I'll just pass that wagon before I...Oh, there's three of them together"

It may work fine where there is a decent road network in place, though with our motorway system and ill disciplined drivers I can only see problems.

That's an interesting take on the subject, nearly every other comment that I have seen refers to the issues relating to the self-driving vehicle rather than those relating to the human controlled one.

I think the self driving convoy will be comparatively safe with the amount of electronics which are bound to be fitted. Fail safes, overrides etc will be heavily monitored to ensure that safety is paramount and the convoy stays together. From reading the reports they will be travelling extremely close coupled, though still have enough room for a moron to decide that there's "enough space" to sneak into a gap...

I'm sure that I've seen something similar, maybe Australia, I'd imagine that there could be some sort of warning sign fitted to the rearmost trailer stating that it's extraordinarily long.

Thinking about it, what are the consequences of overtaking and finding that the lorry in front is linked to several others? Presumably a missed exit, no big deal - perhaps suitable (pretty harmless) punishment for the non observant.

I suppose that, if self driven vehicles are to be integrated rather than replacing, us humans will need to adapt. We made the transition from horse drawn to 'horse power' so it should be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting off some of the M6 junctions is already difficult due to trucks bunching up as they negotiate the long incline. Presumably though, wifi linked platooned trucks won't be taking two miles to pass each other, though perhaps if Platoon A elects to overtake Platoon B, that could take a while. Also just a single conventional truck attempting to overtake a Platoon will be very thrilling for everyone else.

The wifi link will of course be unhackable and the driver in the lead vehicle isn't going to become ill or anything like that.

It's an interesting trial, I hope it provides all the learning needed to understand and overcome the numerous challenges.

They will still have drivers, but the 'lead' lorry will control the speed etc. - A bit like the current situation on our motorways!! :wallbash:

Looks like we got us a convoy......10-4 good buddy!

Last edited:
It is of course quiet crazy,but I like to think that the many posters on this site will see the advantage when their automated car converses with these trucks to slow down and allow these three trucks to move out in front of them,I suspect this experiment will be short lived,but while it is in full swing I wonder just how long it will take a naughty person to over ride the system from afar,given we have keyless go cars being stolen at a alarming rate,from a financial viewpoint,these trucks will take much longer to complete their route,and in transport time is money,we are firmly in the silly season only there is not much to laugh about .

Maybe scrap the idea and spend the money on the rail infrastructure to try and take the strain off the road network.

My initial thought was what happens if someone cuts in between , although I suppose systems in place for that ; also 'what if' the middle or rear one breaks down or has a puncture - does the front one carry on into the distance ?

I expect the drivers in the 'slave trucks' can take over at any time , but I guess the ultimate goal is to have one driver in the lead truck , then none at all in the distant future .

I suppose there could be a spin off benefit re drivers hours , if eventually the drivers in the following trucks were 'resting' they could take turn about at driving the lead vehicle and the convoy need never stop for driver rest periods ( would obviously need a change in the law ) .

Also the convoy could travel a distance together with one driver in control , then trucks could 'peel off' to do independent deliveries . Eventually , if control protocols were agreed , any truck could tag onto the back of an existing convoy , and the driver could take a break .

Interaction with other trucks and impact on other motorists (that already make precious little use of lane 1 and tend to queue in the 3rd lane) will be among the tricky issues to manage. Hence the trial.

Imagine a convoy of these trucks on a single carriage way doing 50mph when cars can legally do 60mph (National Speed Limit for the pedantic reader). Now imagine that drivers of powerful cars (not plebmobiles) decide to start pepperpotting with the absence of oncoming traffic. How long would it be before one truck finds itself too far away from the truck in front, assuming that as the car pulls in front of it, it has to leave a reasonable distance?

What about lorry jacking, when raiders pick on the tail vehicle which is unmanned and force it to stop, allowing someone to board and take manual control.

What about the Highway Code? If the lead vehicle pulls out from a side junction, does the rest of the convoy have a RIGHT to follow, or should they GIVE WAY to any vehicles approaching that junction on the MAIN ROAD. The Code does need updating to take into account the new technology that is creeping into our driving systems.

What about driving licenses? You need a license to drive a car, lorry, bus and bike (powered versions, not those pedal thingies), but what about if you are simply the operator of the computer that drives the car, lorry or bus (no real biker in their right mind would have control of their pride and joy to a soulless machine)? There may be a question that the person sat behind the steering wheel, if not actually driving, doesn't need a driving license if their only responsibility is to monitor the computer system that is actually doing the driving.

A curry is hot, a cherry bakewell is sweet, a rose smells nice, and a fart stinks to high heaven. As humans we can know the difference, but how can a computer know the difference, the same as we know when something is not quite right.

Imagine a convoy of these trucks on a single carriage way doing 50mph when cars can legally do 60mph (National Speed Limit for the pedantic reader). Now imagine that drivers of powerful cars (not plebmobiles) decide to start pepperpotting with the absence of oncoming traffic. How long would it be before one truck finds itself too far away from the truck in front, assuming that as the car pulls in front of it, it has to leave a reasonable distance?

What about lorry jacking, when raiders pick on the tail vehicle which is unmanned and force it to stop, allowing someone to board and take manual control.

What about the Highway Code? If the lead vehicle pulls out from a side junction, does the rest of the convoy have a RIGHT to follow, or should they GIVE WAY to any vehicles approaching that junction on the MAIN ROAD. The Code does need updating to take into account the new technology that is creeping into our driving systems.

What about driving licenses? You need a license to drive a car, lorry, bus and bike (powered versions, not those pedal thingies), but what about if you are simply the operator of the computer that drives the car, lorry or bus (no real biker in their right mind would have control of their pride and joy to a soulless machine)? There may be a question that the person sat behind the steering wheel, if not actually driving, doesn't need a driving license if their only responsibility is to monitor the computer system that is actually doing the driving.

A curry is hot, a cherry bakewell is sweet, a rose smells nice, and a fart stinks to high heaven. As humans we can know the difference, but how can a computer know the difference, the same as we know when something is not quite right.

You do know that the news is that these systems are just to be tested at this stage right?

The clue is in the title of the link in the very first post.

Doesn't make economic sense- you have to purchase expensive automation for the truck and still have to pay for the driver's services- doesn't add up till you dispense with his services altogether and even then???
Mercedes have largely abandoned robots for placing interior trim in their cars on the production line. There were so many trim variations and options over time it was more expensive to program the robots than to employ humans to do it as basically they are self programming

I would have thought three goods vechiles linked together is called a freight train and the best place for it is on two metal rails.

We have many experienced drivers on here,driving a LGV in a professional way means that you have to use the road well,how many times have you seen a truck ahead on a A road and not been able to catch it up because the driver is using all his skill to keep up his speed by changing lanes and making sure he is not held up,the same on motorways,this idea that 3 trucks can run on our motorways and do their job properly is just lunacy,this is not being a luddite ,so often these days people think up crazy ideas which fly in the face of many years of experience,aided by the computer,if it says it is possible then it must be the right way to go,lets imagine this there you are driving in the middle lane of the motorway overtaking these trucks,the first one indicates to move into your lane and so do the others at the same time,what will happen you have nowhere to go and so all three of those trucks will apply their brakes,if the lead truck had been on it's own it may have been able to move in front of you and that will happen at least 10 times between destinations,it will be a farce.

My first brought to mind a couple of other current threads on here, Learners on Motorways and Neo-Luddites

If and when it gets to the stage where they're allowed out on their own for real, I have a few thoughts or questions which I haven't seen addressed.

If they are truly driverless, how does a police officer stop one for whatever reason, let's say the fourth in a convoy of six?

What happens if the lead vehicle leaves a motorway as per its scheduled journey but traffic renders it unsafe for a following one to leave? Or the lead vehicle joins a motorway safely but following ones can't?

What happens if other vehicles get in between the convoy?

What happens if a heavily laden convoy member cannot keep up when the leader is overtaking up an incline?

They'll do for starters.

I would have thought three goods vechiles linked together is called a freight train and the best place for it is on two metal rails.

That is why shipping containers were invented .

Self driving trucks now joining the ranks of vehicles on the road that appear to be driven as if by the passengers.
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom