Self-filling screenwash bottle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dozypillock

Car
C209 CLK320
I am impressed with all the functions of my Merc, but seem to have found a new one today.
As winter is setting in, and roads getting dirtier, thought it time to check all the levels on our daily vehicles.
The misses car took about 3 litres of washer fluid to fill back up.
The Merc took less than a cupful of screenwash fluid, and was full.
Since august I have never put any fluid in this car, but have used the washers numerous times, including today during the run to Goodwood.
There are 4 jets that put out what seems a fair amount of water.

Is it possible the container has an airlock? There is a smaller hose inside the main filler. Is this for the headlamp washers?
I am pretty sure I am filling the correct container, before anybody asks.
How can I have used them so much, yet not get much in before its full?
To say I am baffled is an understatement.

Neil

I am also astonished how long my screen wash lasts, I know the reservoir is large but it's almost a year since I filled mine.

Has your 209 got option code 875 Heater Washer Bottle? As this option will pump warm coolant through a heat exchanger in the washer bottle, if this element has rotted it could topping it up with coolant. Looking at the EPC for the 209 it appears you have a filler neck and where this joins the main washer tank it narrows so it could be blocked as it does sound like all you have done is top the filler neck up.

Has your 209 got option code 875 Heater Washer Bottle? As this option will pump warm coolant through a heat exchanger in the washer bottle, if this element has rotted it could topping it up with coolant. Looking at the EPC for the 209 it appears you have a filler neck and where this joins the main washer tank it narrows so it could be blocked as it does sound like all you have done is top the filler neck up.

Just checked my data card and YES, it does have that option.
It looked just like a normal washer bottle, apart from inside it has a smaller hose, that stops about 2" from the top of the filler neck?

So you think coolant could be leaking into it?. Would that not cause temperature issues?

Neil

Just checked my data card and YES, it does have that option.
It looked just like a normal washer bottle, apart from inside it has a smaller hose, that stops about 2" from the top of the filler neck?

So you think coolant could be leaking into it?. Would that not cause temperature issues?

Neil

I have WIS and EPC. Any idea where to look for this? Cannot even find washers at moment....lol

Neil

I have WIS and EPC. Any idea where to look for this? Cannot even find washers at moment....lol

Neil

Think I may have found it. It will have to wait for now, as seems I have to take half the car apart to get to see it. Seems I was just filling the neck, not the reservoir. Seems I am not going mad though, and it is filling itself, but from somewhere it shouldn't be.

Neil

To find it in the EPC find section 86 Washer System, then 030 Pane Washer, Headlight Wiper/Washer.
Before you do to much disassembly I would either start with emptying/refilling the washer bottle or trying to unblock the filler neck.
If the washer bottle heater element was leaking then you would be losing coolant, and I would imagine that you would see this in the quality of the washer fluid when you washed the screen ie, very streaky,

The jets on W204 are very sparing of water use. I was amazed at how little had been used when refilling mine.

To find it in the EPC find section 86 Washer System, then 030 Pane Washer, Headlight Wiper/Washer.
Before you do to much disassembly I would either start with emptying/refilling the washer bottle or trying to unblock the filler neck.
If the washer bottle heater element was leaking then you would be losing coolant, and I would imagine that you would see this in the quality of the washer fluid when you washed the screen ie, very streaky,

I do get streaky wiping, but put that down to 2 things. I sometimes use one of those car wash things, that gives it a diamond coating or something, so water just runs off. I live 3-400 yards from the sea, so rusty disks, spray etc is common
I work right next to an incinerator facility so there is constant carp in the air, and almost daily have to wipe the wiper blades before use, as just end up with lines following arc of wiper due to carp that has landed on windscreen.
Never, in my dreams, did I suspect I may have a heated water bottle, and it could be faulty.
More investigation is needed, but not when its cold, dark and windy.
May look lunchtime tomorrow, and check coolant and washers again.
Many thanks for the helpful advice.

Neil

My w209 was losing water from the resevoir but still took ages to empty even when the message came up on the dash. It was leaking from the grommet at the bottom where the pump for the windows was. The headlight pump is slightly higher.
I was also losing a little bit of coolant - from the thermostat. The sympton of this was the engine fan running at 100% all the time. This was due to low coolant, even though I didn't get the message until a few days after the fan started.
The 2 weren't related and I wouldn't automatically assume they are, because if you were losing coolant to the water bottle I would expect it to smear the windscreen, smell strange and flag up a low coolant alarm quite quickly.

If you are really worried, remove the front passenger wheel and the panel around the water bottle and pop out the pump. The water will drain out and you can check. Either that or just use loads of water. The headlamps and window will go through it in about 15 minutes.

I'm just thinking that a self filling washer fluid bottle would be a useful option.

Rain water could be harvested from the drain holes and filtered before being returned back to the screenwash bottle (along with a metered squirt of concentrate wash fluid).

I'm just thinking that a self filling washer fluid bottle would be a useful option.

Rain water could be harvested from the drain holes and filtered before being returned back to the screenwash bottle (along with a metered squirt of concentrate wash fluid).

Quick put in a patent for this invention!

Whoa!
Sorry to hear that, bud.
Hope it didn't do too much damage... and that you reversed over the bugger to make sure you finished him off.

It was a bit surreal.
A country lane I use regularly and to date have never seen a badger crossing it.
It was dark and wet so was driving along at about 50mph when in my headlamps a badger trotted out from the R/h verge. I braked hard and calculated that by swerving right I would miss it by a tight margin, while not ditching myself.
The plan worked and Mr badger trotted off into the hedgerow.

400 metres down the road another kamikaze badger sets off just as my headlamps make light.

Ok, I know what to do, quick swerve and all will be well...only this badger stopped dead...

Oops...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom