Self leveling suspension-CHF11S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paultredgett

Car
Merc e320 w210 cdi estate.
Hi All,

I am about to go buy some CHF11S to top my self leveling suspension tank up, it is just slightly below the minimum line, nothing anywhere to suggest a leak and I have had the car for a month now and does'nt seem to have moved any.

I have looked at the filter and it looks pretty grey/black so I am going to change it.

Firstly, is the filter MB only?

Secondly, I have done some research and have come to the conclusion that CHF11S hydraulic fluid is a specific standard grade of oil that does not differ in any way, can anyone confirm this from experience/knowledge>?

Thirdly, does anyone know what the ride height of the rear of the estate should be at rest from wheel center to arch>?

Would a very dirty filter affect the function of the suspension in any way>?
I think myself that the filter looks very dirty (no debris etc!), should I change the filter then do it again in a couple of thousand miles?

I am not really experiencing any problems with the suspension but have noticed it is a little harder than I expected for a Merc, it's not jolting or any other over bumps and she handles very well with no wallowing to speak of etc

Cheers.

..........forgot to mention.......

I think the rear of the car looks quite low which is why I ask about the ride height, someone has told me that the w210 estate does look low on the rear due to the overhang (they all look like that sir!), as I said I have no handling issues so no reason to doubt there is anything much wrong.
Cheers

If the ride is hard the spheres have lost gas pressure, or ruptured, which is why the fluid level is low.

My advice would be to put a splash of diesel into the reservoir and run the car while you get new spheres, then change the spheres and fluid together.

Hi Dieselman,

I wouldn't say the ride is hard or harsh, knocking or other, just not what I would expect from this car.
How much to buy the bits I need off hand>?...from gsf?
I can do the work myself.
I think!

p.s. thanks for all your input, much appreciated!

Get spheres from GSF, ECP or Franey (on here). They will be about £100 a pair.

CHF is not the correct oil AFAIK. CHF is used for the power steering. It may well be ok for the suspension but we only buy the Mercedes Stuff. The part number you need is on the reservoir.

I have replaced the filter in the suspension oil tank and the suspension is now noticeably different, it feels softer and more in keeping with what I originally expected from an MB !
The old filter was absolutely black so am assuming it was blocked somewhat?

I know I should have changed the oil but I did not and at the cost of £8 approx am going to change the filter again in a couple of months.
Obviously a nearly full MB service history means nothing as I am guessing this oil and flilter are the ones supplied from new!?
No way could a filter look like that after 40 k between services!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom