Self parking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GARYSJ

Car
E220d
2017 E220 new to us from Friday last. Tried the parktronic in a multi storey car park yesterday and bottled it after feeling it was getting to close to the other car. Today I tried parallel parking and held my nerve this time. Such a strange feeling not holding the steering wheel. Still feels too close to others on manoeuvring but will get used to it. Please tell me no one has had it bumb another car?

Nope, no incidents.... I don't use it very often but sometimes when parallel parking and I don't want to look like an amateur. Even though I'm not. But it does a better job than I can :rolleyes:

Nope, no incidents.... I don't use it very often but sometimes when parallel parking and I don't want to look like an amateur. Even though I'm not. But it does a better job than I can :rolleyes:
Lol! I’ve lived with on-street parking for the last thirty years. Practice does hone your skills ;) My w205 c63 won’t even attempt spaces I can get my s211 into. Parktronic is a godsend, but just yesterday I put the s211 into a space that was 4 ambers on the back and 1 red on the front with a reverse in and just a single pull forwards. I even impressed myself. And no, it wasn’t a Paris style park. Didn’t touch either car. It was a case of necessity. It was the only space for nearly a quarter mile of our house. My wife couldn’t believe I made it - she watched our neighbour try and fail repeatedly to get her Juke into the same space.

Not my SL, but SWMBO has a Kuga with self parallel parking.

I like it and use it, SWMBO doesn't and doesn't

It was 6 months before I realised I had it on my work 2020 Vito van 😂 I pulled up outside my house after work one day & was doing a lot of steering wheel twirling to get into a space when a message came up on the dashboard "Do you require assistance with parking?" ...I thought hello what's this & pressed "yes" & the steering wheel started turning by itself. Whoa! And I stamped on the brake 😂 Still not used it, same as you I don't fully trust it but I must find a deserted car park one day to try it, that way I might trust it after ;)

I must find the time to give mine a go id never use it but still its there so i want to have that alien feel i expect everyone has using it for the first time lol

I tried my 220d estate in a multi storey as I thought it would be quieter. It took 2 attempts to reverse into a space that I would have managed in 1 but, embarrassingly, there was another car having to wait for “me" to stop faffing around before he could pass me!!!😳
Word of warning, in this car park there are dividers between the space you’re reversing into and the space behind it which are in a big X shape. If there is no car beyond the X the sensors are too low on the car to detect them. I had to slam the brake on or it would have put a nice dent in my tailgate!!!

When I was filming my HOWTO video, I managed to kerb my alloy when it was in action :(

Lol! I’ve lived with on-street parking for the last thirty years. Practice does hone your skills ;) My w205 c63 won’t even attempt spaces I can get my s211 into. Parktronic is a godsend, but just yesterday I put the s211 into a space that was 4 ambers on the back and 1 red on the front with a reverse in and just a single pull forwards. I even impressed myself. And no, it wasn’t a Paris style park. Didn’t touch either car. It was a case of necessity. It was the only space for nearly a quarter mile of our house. My wife couldn’t believe I made it - she watched our neighbour try and fail repeatedly to get her Juke into the same space.
The only problem with parking that close are the drivers in front and behind might not be so careful pulling out or reversing to pull out.

The only problem with parking that close are the drivers in front and behind might not be so careful pulling out or reversing to pull out.
Sadly it goes with the territory. If your car lives on the street you are going to get the odd bumper mark here and there occasionally. I’ve watched people touch bumpers a lot over the years. Some people can’t park for toffee. Busy town on-street parking is not for you if you are precious about your car. I use my old E class as my daily because it’s not mint by any stretch. I keep the nice cars elsewhere. I occasionally have them at home, but it’s not relaxing!

2017 E220 new to us from Friday last. Tried the parktronic in a multi storey car park yesterday and bottled it after feeling it was getting to close to the other car. Today I tried parallel parking and held my nerve this time. Such a strange feeling not holding the steering wheel. Still feels too close to others on manoeuvring but will get used to it. Please tell me no one has had it bumb another car?
These systems have been refined over a number of years, by the looks of it Mercedes use the same basic system as Toyota use on their cars. I had a 2007 Prius for a while in 2009 and it never once failed to park automatically, correctly...

Problem now is the parking screen comes on when we have slowed down. Can't see how to stop it.

My S204 (facelift) has the blue 'P' come up but no other messages. Do I have it? Must try it one day!

My S204 (facelift) has the blue 'P' come up but no other messages. Do I have it? Must try it one day!
I could be wrong, but I think on the 204 you have to do the wheel-twirling bit yourself. Must admit in 3 years of ownership I've never used mine.

If you have the Blue P yes you have it, I made a guide last year:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have it on my taycan and it sometimes gets it right and other times leaves me sticking half out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom