Self sharpening knive sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaunB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W213 Designo Hyacinth E63
Anyone know much about these?

I need some decent kitchen knives just and pull through sharpening has probably taken its toll on my current set

They are a well known make and it appears you can buy a whole set with a block for the same price as a single Global chefs knife.
OK for day to day home use no doubt.

A decent knife, properly sharpened, shouldn’t need constant attention. Subject to lack of abuse.

I wouldn’t go for this set as I think it’s a gimmick. Maybe look at Wusthof or similar. Then sort out some sharpening method.

I have a thing about blunt knives being dangerous. All my knives are SHARP. I
use 2 old whetstones I inherited and a diamond dust flat sharpener to put an edge on my blades.

I have some expensive knives but funnily enough the best steel I have seen on a blade is that on a Spanish "sticking" knife I have. For info a sticking knife is what's used in an abattoir to slit the carotid and bleed out an animal. That one cost me about £6 and it holds an edge like nothing else I have.

With any knife I would check it feels comfortable in your hand for the task. Balance is so important.

So that is a roundabout way of saying learn to sharpen the knives you have; they are probably fine! Will save you money too.

A decent knife, properly sharpened, shouldn’t need constant attention. Subject to lack of abuse.

I wouldn’t go for this set as I think it’s a gimmick. Maybe look at Wusthof or similar. Then sort out some sharpening method.

The guidance I've read is to use a steel regularly to keep the edge (honing). Sharpening ( a subject on it's own) depends on the amount of use, what you're cutting & cutting on etc and the type of metal (e.g. Stainless Steel or Carbon Steel) that the blade is made of.

FWIW, I have had a Lansky set of oilstones for about 30 years and when I do use them they are brilliant but take time.

However the sharpener I use most often is this cheapo from Ikea and it works surprisingly well.

A knife should be sharpened before every use, that way not much attention is needed to keep it sharp.

Over the years I have 'collected' a number of quality kitchen knives including Global , an I.O Shen boning knife a (bloody good) Santoku knife in Japanese steel from Marks & Spencer ! It was a gift. No one in the house is allowed to use them, they use the perfectly good knives we have from the 'Kitchen Devil' range, those KD knives are at least 15 years old and - like all knives - with the proper care should last a lifetime.

Normally if you have to really sharpen a knife you have left it too late, using those 'drag through' opposing 'steels' will kill any decent blade. The rule is don't sharpen it..hone it.

A knife should be sharpened before every use, that way not much attention is needed to keep it sharp.

I was also told this by a retired butcher. I was talking to him about sharpening methods and we concluded that it was a whetstone to get the edge on it, with a steel to keep it there. I still tend to use the stone more often than the steel though, just force of habit and the convenience factor I suppose, in that the stone lives by my sink.

I have always fancied 1 of those japanese samurai knife sets, as they are renowned for making decent blades

Over the years I have 'collected' a number of quality kitchen knives including Global , an I.O Shen boning knife a (bloody good) Santoku knife in Japanese steel from Marks & Spencer ! It was a gift. No one in the house is allowed to use them, they use the perfectly good knives we have from the 'Kitchen Devil' range, those KD knives are at least 15 years old and - like all knives - with the proper care should last a lifetime.

Normally if you have to really sharpen a knife you have left it too late, using those 'drag through' opposing 'steels' will kill any decent blade. The rule is don't sharpen it..hone it.

I got a Santoku last year ... very, very useful and great for cutting/trimming uncooked meat and fish due to its design. Highly recommend one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom