Sell or Break

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swannymere

Car
1994 S124 E300d
I've got a 1994 W124 E300d Saloon in Silver with Black Leather
Approx 125k miles on the clock and 8 months MOT, no Tax
Not much in the way of service history,
Body is the usual with rusty front arches and a couple of 5p sized spots over the rest of the body but the bootlid is probably in need of a respray,
15" 8 Hole refurbished alloys with ok tyres
Sunroof tilt working but slide not (have a new sunroof ready to go in)
New electric aerial ready to go in.
Genuine Mercedes mats front and rear (lightly used)
I've bought new front balljoints to go on and have a full kit to replace the delivery seals
The engine is strong with good oil pressure, gearbox is fine with the usual flaring.

Should i fit the parts and try and sell it or break it? How much would it be worth (ballpark) Thanks Chaps.

Scrap value £200ish. Depending how much you strip out of it.
Wheels would fetch perhaps a ton on ebay.
Leather £300 if you wait for the right buyer.
Engine could/should be worth, say, a minimum £500 but have seen them on Ebay at £600. Gearbox a couple of hundred.
My lads 190D was bought by a Ugandan buyer based in Manchester. Buyer paid 550 and the deal was sweet as a nut.
Put it on Ebay with that length of MoT and start the bidding at 450? Reserve at say, £800. You may be surprised at how much you get.

Good Luck which ever route you go.

Edit. Link to one for sale to give you an idea.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110737831...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1014wt_911

Last edited:
I've got a 1994 W124 E300d Saloon in Silver with Black Leather
Approx 125k miles on the clock and 8 months MOT, no Tax
Not much in the way of service history,
Body is the usual with rusty front arches and a couple of 5p sized spots over the rest of the body but the bootlid is probably in need of a respray,
15" 8 Hole refurbished alloys with ok tyres
Sunroof tilt working but slide not (have a new sunroof ready to go in)
New electric aerial ready to go in.
Genuine Mercedes mats front and rear (lightly used)
I've bought new front balljoints to go on and have a full kit to replace the delivery seals
The engine is strong with good oil pressure, gearbox is fine with the usual flaring.

Should i fit the parts and try and sell it or break it? How much would it be worth (ballpark) Thanks Chaps.

Why not look at adverts for similar cars and see what they seem to be selling for , then put a free ad on here and see what happens ?

You can still break it if it does not sell .

Scrap value £200ish. Depending how much you strip out of it.
Wheels would fetch perhaps a ton on ebay.
Leather £300 if you wait for the right buyer.
Engine could/should be worth, say, a minimum £500 but have seen them on Ebay at £600. Gearbox a couple of hundred.

Agree mostly with that ,

Scrap value for complete car sounds about right just now

Wheels , also about right , recently paid £80 for four W126 15 hole alloys with good tyres , have paid both more and less than that in the past for other sets .

When I broke my 300TE , only got one buyer interested in the Mushroom Leather , and then only £80 for it . I have also bought two leather W126 interiors , paid £100 for a full interior and £60 for two leather electric front seats ( one memory ) , with the option of the full interior for £100 . A mate paid £40 for a black Cosworth leather interior for a 190 with electric front seats and I was offered the same for £80 from a local breaker . I feel that with fewer surviving cars , and many descending into 'banger' territory , those who want leather will already have it as all the good bits find their way into the better surviving cars and fewer people looking for such 'goodies' so prices will fall .

Sold my 300-24 M104 engine for £500 ( threw in gearbox and a load of other parts to clear space ) .

All comes down to luck and who is looking to buy what that week .

I got £150 for the complete electric leather interior from the 300e I broke up. When I say complete I mean everything except the dash so I agree with Derek above.

Agree with TJ's post in general, but whoever Pontoneer's mate was who got the full leather cosworth interior with electric seats - he paid about 10 times less than it's true value. That interior in good condition would be worth about £500. One door door card for a full leather interior in undamaged condition would fetch more than that!

As with anything, one bargain buy doesn't dictate then typical market value of an item :)

Swannymere - if I were you, do a quick advert for your car, listing it pretty much as you have above. Take a few pics etc and see how it goes, would be much easier to sell it in one go rather than breaking it unless you've got the time/space/tools/knowledge/patience etc. You might be surprised at what it fetches.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom