Sell or repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverkid

Car
W210 e300td
Hi folks,just had the old girl in for a service at my local garage, mechanic said car is fine generally for age,however rear bushes and brake pipes have seen better days,he stated he has to drop subframe to deal with these issues but couldnt really give a price and keep me notified as he goes on.The question is do i pay/invest in its upkeep or bail out now before i maybe go bankrupt regarding this repair.the car runs great and only has 100k with full history,any advice welcome,e300 td 1999 s cheers.

Last edited:
Couldn't give a price? He should at least be able to give a ballpark or rough estimate on low end and high end figures? When my head gasket went (non Merc) I was mulling over getting it fixed or replacing the car. I had a rough idea from the garage on how much it would cost and made my decision based on that.

Also depends on how attached you are to the car, sentimental value, general condition etc.

hi,thanks sorry should of worded it better i spoke to him today i love the car im going to have it sorted,mechanically it is sound and has no issues thats why it is worth sorting,my mechanic is going to price the rear bushes up and said it all depends how the old ones come out time wise,but an estimate price off anyone out there as to roughly what i should be paying would be very helpful.thanks

I'd probably get the work done, but I understand the conundrum; it's sunk costs. - At what point do you say "I've spent enough money on this rusting hunk of steel; time to cut my losses."?

I've got the same problem with the Nissan. - Every year it needs something, and every year I buy parts and spend time on my back fitting them... and every year I think "maybe it's time to give up".

Yeh defo on same wavelength but only thing I'm praying that subframe or something else isn't rotten when he starts the work,I must admit I've to taken much thought of underneath of vehicle and neglected this issue,hope it doesn't come back to bite me,cheers.

Good to hear you're getting it sorted rather than consigning to the scrap yard. Hope it is ok underneath and not too costly!

Expect to pay about £500 to remove the rear subframe and repair the brake pipes and underseal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom