Selling A Car on Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sold the wife's car within 3 hrs on Gumtree and bought my E55 there too. Free to advertise but expect chancers hoping for buying at silly prices.
Bought 2 cars from eBay and no problems either time. I'm a bit wary of the fees with eBay.

If I'm buying, Autotrader is the first place I look.

danch said:
Faster payments cannot be reversed, been told by 2 different banks. Maybe bankers drafts, cheques, BACS etc can

Any bank transfer done electronically chaps, bacs, iban or done by account number and sort code can be reversed

An ex member on here's job is investigating the fraud that took place when such payments were reversed. SWMBO has also prosecuted fraud in such cases, that's how I know they can be reversed

Last edited:
Any bank transfer done electronically chaps, bacs, iban or done by account number and sort code can be reversed

An ex member on here's job is investigating the fraud that took place when such payments were reversed. SWMBO has also prosecuted fraud in such cases, that's how I know they can be reversed

Misunderstanding then as I meant the sender could not recall the payment but yes in fraud terms it could be done.

Sorry about the misunderstanding

Dan

danch said:
Misunderstanding then as I meant the sender could not recall the payment but yes in fraud terms it could be done. Sorry about the misunderstanding Dan

No worries I just didn't want anyone thinking it was a foolproof method and losing money through it. Every method of payment has a down side, counterfeit notes, rubber cheques, forged bankers drafts. I think bank transfer is the less risky and it only ever usually goes wrong when it's high value and person to person

Top tip - get a free SIM card and a cheap (or use an old phone) and advertise with that number.

Good idea for EBay and Gumtree. Auto trader however you have the option of another number which when dialed comes to your actual number.

Good thing about it is you can block the number instantly once the car is sold.

Good thing on eBay with clasified ad is that you can change listing for free in first 3weeks from 4 i believe and sell more cars for £15 if you are quick :)...
Im doing it with motorbikes...

Ive been doing ebay since it came on line all those years ago, Ebay is a great medium, but has its faults, you may well sell it, but you will find that the winning bidder will never contact you and never turn up for the car, thus another advert will have to be listed. This happens a great deal, the ebay forums will warn you of this, it does not cost you anything but time!! if you are lucky, if not you can end up paying for things twice. Also, a BUY IT NOW price on your listing means you pay higher fees when you list it, ebay will charge you other fees when you sell it and if you use paypal you will pay them fee's as well. All in all, the best way to sell is through Autotrader(allthough it can get expensive), or Gumtree(where there are no fee's or at least cheap fees if you decide to pay for your advert), or any other medium like that.
I sold a car on ebay for £3000 a while back it cost me £12.00 for the advert, £28 for ebay when i sold it, and £125 for paypal, I sold my CLK on gumtree three weeks ago and the fee's were ZERO and i sold it in two days. The maths are easy!! Hope you sell it no problem!!

To me ebay has nothing to do with cars actually, I'd rather sell my car on car-selling plattforms...what can you say against these plattforms? I think they distinguished themselves haven't they?

For older/classic cars I have found Carandclassic to work well (apart from being free) as you can write a sensible amount and put up 5 pictures. There are now a lot of newer cars on it too.

Ebay Classifieds is different to Buy-it-Now. 1 Ebay fee and no additional Paypal fees. I recommend using this.

Yes, ebay classifieds. It's basically the same as an autotrader or pistonheads ad, just on another website.

I always use pistonheads and ebay. Don't normally use autotrader as it used to be quite expensive, but might be more reasonable now.

Car and Classic is another good website. Especially for a 124. There are loads on there.

Cash notes only for payment IMO if buying or selling private. Everyone knows where they stand then. If in doubt when selling, go to the bank with them and pay it in there and then. If they don't like that idea, they have something to hide....

As for timewasters, I just say to anyone who calls up asking for my lowest price "come and look at the car and we'll talk money then" 9 out of 10 don't come back. If someone makes the effort to view then you know they are serious.

Last edited:
Payment will be by cash on collection - ideally paid into my bank account by the buyer and never actually handled by me.

Watch out for a simple scam on this one.

Buyer agrees to buy car, and say's he'll have it, loads up Online banking on his laptop and appears to pay in your money.

Says leave it couple of hrs and it will show.....

Meanwhile his mate goes and pays a duff cheque into your account at a branch.

When you check your account you see the money has appeared - great you think and let the car go.... a week later bank sends you the cheque with a letter saying this account doesn't exist or it's bounced or whatever.....

So if person is paying it in directly, ask them to put a reference on it, the reg perhaps, and then check that reference appears on your bank account and check the funds DID come in by BACS and not a Counter Credit.

Watch out for a simple scam on this one.

Buyer agrees to buy car, and say's he'll have it, loads up Online banking on his laptop and appears to pay in your money.

Says leave it couple of hrs and it will show.....

Meanwhile his mate goes and pays a duff cheque into your account at a branch.

When you check your account you see the money has appeared - great you think and let the car go.... a week later bank sends you the cheque with a letter saying this account doesn't exist or it's bounced or whatever.....

So if person is paying it in directly, ask them to put a reference on it, the reg perhaps, and then check that reference appears on your bank account and check the funds DID come in by BACS and not a Counter Credit.

I'm with the Halifax and in online banking, it has three digits to identify the type of payment - cheque is CHQ. Transfer is TFR IIRC.

I imagine that is an effective scam though - fckers!

I am about to sell my Audi A4, as the new C300 is due to arrive at the end of the month. I published my first advert on Autotrader last Friday using the standard package (£45.95) and what I definitely did not like was the fact that private sellers like myself do not have the option to add any meaningful (as well as eye-catching) subtitle to their car description (such as "3g sat nav, 170bhp, etc), as that is an exclusive prerogative of trade sellers. The most annoying thing is that I only found that out after buying the advert, otherwise I would have considered an alternative site.

So far I had 183 views and only one contact in four days, which did not result in a test drive anyway.

Is that normal? I do not think that my car is overpriced as it is even slightly below the average price of other A4's of similar age and specification, but before starting to seriously worry, I would really appreciate the opinion of more experienced members on whether "I have just blown it" or it simply takes time for an Autotrader advert to sort out its magic. I know that it is very subjective and there are many parameters to consider, but I have been really looking after my car and cannot believe that nobody is really interested. It goes without saying that I took very good pictures that show the car from every angle, so I do not really know where I have gone wrong :dk:

Cheers

Fab

Fab, for £15 put it on eBay and I'll bet you'll get considerably more interest... report back please.

- Douglas

Point one: Unless it's in particular demand for some reason, your car is always worth less than you think it is. I'm afraid that if it doesn't sell, you have overpriced it for the market at the moment, whatever you may think. Asking prices are pie in the sky until somebody actually pays them.

The other cars on Pistonheads, Autotrader, Gumtree, or wherever, are in the same boat, and unless the seller is either asking a really realistic price or is willing to compromise, they mostly don't sell quickly either. That's not to say that a buyer who really likes the sound of your car, and is mug enough to pay your asking price without haggling, may not call you tomorrow, but equally, he or she may not.

Point two: to get a reality check on what it will really make, look at the 'sold' listings on eBay. They will tell you what people have actually been willing to pay for cars. (You can usually tell whether a sale went through or not by whether or not the car is listed again soon after).

If you need to sell it quickly, a No Reserve listing on eBay will almost certainly see it gone, but you may be shocked at how little it sells for...

Good luck with the sale, anyway.

Last edited:
So far I had 183 views and only one contact in four days, which did not result in a test drive anyway...so I do not really know where I have gone wrong :dk:

4 days is not a great amount of time, it's Easter so people are on holiday and how many other A4s are on the market?

Remember in pricing a private car should be cheaper than from a dealer to reflect lack of comeback should something go wrong etc.

Good luck!

I am about to sell my Audi A4, as the new C300 is due to arrive at the end of the month. I published my first advert on Autotrader last Friday using the standard package (£45.95) and what I definitely did not like was the fact that private sellers like myself do not have the option to add any meaningful (as well as eye-catching) subtitle to their car description (such as "3g sat nav, 170bhp, etc), as that is an exclusive prerogative of trade sellers. The most annoying thing is that I only found that out after buying the advert, otherwise I would have considered an alternative site.

So far I had 183 views and only one contact in four days, which did not result in a test drive anyway.

Is that normal? I do not think that my car is overpriced as it is even slightly below the average price of other A4's of similar age and specification, but before starting to seriously worry, I would really appreciate the opinion of more experienced members on whether "I have just blown it" or it simply takes time for an Autotrader advert to sort out its magic. I know that it is very subjective and there are many parameters to consider, but I have been really looking after my car and cannot believe that nobody is really interested. It goes without saying that I took very good pictures that show the car from every angle, so I do not really know where I have gone wrong :dk:

Cheers

Fab
Put a link up, will have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom