Selling A Car on Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I listed my car on auto trader had over 500 views but not one call! Listed on gumtree and had two people call me , then I decided not to sell lol. Try gumtree and it's free!

Recently sold my Citroen on ebay as an auction, and listed it with the lowest price I would take for it. I described the car exactly as it was without trying to hide anything.

If your car is not selling then either the price is too high, the description of the car is poor, or there is some wording in the advert that is putting people off.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your replies, much appreciated!
I did not know that I could post a link on this forum, but if that is actually an option, I would really welcome your opinions as I have never really sold a car online before:

Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr

2009 AUDI A4 AVANT S LINE 170 TDI LAVA GREY HALF LEATHER | eBay?

Here are the stats:

- AutoTrader: I published the advert 4 days ago and got 218 views, 1 call, no appointments.
- eBay: I published the advert 5 hours ago and got 53 views and 1 dodgy offer: £9,500 cash from a guy with 0 feedback who wanted to buy the car tomorrow. No way!

I am in no particular rush and would rather get a decent deal than accepting the first indecent offer.

Cheers

Fab

fab1975 said:
Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your replies, much appreciated! I did not know that I could post a link on this forum, but if that is actually an option, I would really welcome your opinions as I have never really sold a car online before: Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr 2009 AUDI A4 AVANT S LINE 170 TDI LAVA GREY HALF LEATHER | eBay? Here are the stats: - AutoTrader: I published the advert 4 days ago and got 218 views, 1 call, no appointments. - eBay: I published the advert 5 hours ago and got 53 views and 1 dodgy offer: £9,500 cash from a guy with 0 feedback who wanted to buy the car tomorrow. No way! I am in no particular rush and would rather get a decent deal than accepting the first indecent offer. Cheers Fab

That's seems a very fair price, auto trader might be a better bet. I've had my ml up on auto trader, ebay, gumtree, exchange and mart, Piston heads for probably 8 weeks now and had idiots non stop, then it went dead for 2-3 weeks, now 4 different people want the car on the weekend, there's no real pattern to selling a car at the moment it's madness, I wouldn't drop from that price at all to be honest with that mileage

I am in no particular rush and would rather get a decent deal than accepting the first indecent offer. Fab

It's not the cheapest,but seems expensive for a nearly 6-year old Audi.

I would consider taking offers of 10.5k to 11k.

The longer you hang on to it, the older the car gets and the price will only go down further.

It's only worth what someone else will pay for it.

Hi guys, thanks a lot for all your replies, much appreciated!
I did not know that I could post a link on this forum, but if that is actually an option, I would really welcome your opinions as I have never really sold a car online before:

Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr

2009 AUDI A4 AVANT S LINE 170 TDI LAVA GREY HALF LEATHER | eBay?

Here are the stats:

- AutoTrader: I published the advert 4 days ago and got 218 views, 1 call, no appointments.
- eBay: I published the advert 5 hours ago and got 53 views and 1 dodgy offer: £9,500 cash from a guy with 0 feedback who wanted to buy the car tomorrow. No way!

I am in no particular rush and would rather get a decent deal than accepting the first indecent offer.

Cheers

Fab

Having a quick browse, and playing devils advocate, I see similar if not exactly the same cars for 10-10.5k.

I don't really know the audi market, but as is the case with everything, if it's priced right, it will sell.

If you hang on you may find someone who appreciates it's been washed every fortnight, and garaged every night, and so will be willing to pay a premium. But sadly those facts don't add value in real terms.

Hi All,

I have just sold my car at 11.5k, slightly below the initial asking price of 12k. The money is already in the bank and this has been a mutually satisfactory experience both for myself and the buyer.

For what it is worth, I have to say that based on my personal experience (the first as a private seller) I would definitely use eBay again and not even bother to give AutoTrader another try.

In fact, please find the final stats below:

- AutoTrader: Advert published on 10th April / price £ 45.95 / 424 views / 1 phone call / 0 emails / 0 appointments / 0 offers.
- eBay: classified advert published on 14th April / price £ 18.48 / 397 views / 5 phone calls / 14 emails / 1 appointment / 7 offers (from 4 different buyers).

Apart from the obvious differences in the interest that this particular advert has generated, which might be due to the specific car vs price combination, there are objectively at least 4 reasons for which I would choose eBay again over AutoTrader:

1) The fees are much cheaper. I could have paid even only £15.95 if I had not selected to have optional extras such as the subtitles and the big size picture in the search results.
2) For the above prices eBay gave me 4 weeks vs 3 from AutoTrader.
3) eBay allows you to create a much more customised advert, which gives you the option to emphasise any aspects of your car, whereas AutoTrader uses a very standard format. Using a bit of simple HTML coding I have even embedded a video of my car that I had posted on YouTube.
4) AutoTrader gives trade sellers the option to edit the headline of their adverts, but private sellers can only accept the standard format: In my case, AutoTrader forced me to choose the headline “Audi A4 AVANT 2.0 TDI S Line 5dr”, while eBay allowed me advertise my car as “2009 AUDI A4 AVANT S LINE 170 TDI LAVA GREY HALF LEATHER”, which sounded much more interesting.

I would still use AutoTrader as a buyer, but as far as I am concerned my experience as a seller resulted in a real waste of time (as well as money).

This is my 2p of wisdom for tonight anyway…

Cheers

Fab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom