Selling a car that is SORN - advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SilverSaloon, Jan 7, 2009.

1. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    hi

I have my Merc for sale at the moment. Its currently SORN as the tax ran out.

Its on ebay at the moment. Assuming it sells and the buyer comes to collect - should I ensure they have taxed it before i allow the sale to go ahead? or not allow them to drive the car away?

I figure they drive off and get flashed by a tax camera and i will get the fine/points? I will ensure i post off the V5 slip straight away indicating its been sold.

am i worrying over nothing?

cheers

derek

2. Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Yes, your are worrying.. make sure you get a signed copy of your reciept you give him dated and time, plus date of sale for DVLA.

I recently sold my little Citroen Saxo with no MOT or Tax. The seller came down from Manchester, we sorted the paperwork out and I sent it off straight away. He drove the car all the way back to Manchester with no MOT or Tax, the car didnt need anything so it wasnt dangerous but just after my accident I couldnt get it MOT'd.. was very very risky.. I wouldnt recommend it, but just shift your liability onto your new buyer.

3. gbjeppm

gbjeppm Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
    My view is that you are worrying over nothing. Print up a bill of sale, time and date the transaction and get the purchaser to sign it.

Then you can use that with the DVLA if necessary.

If the buyer wants to drive it untaxed that is his/her lookout.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. Ade B

Ade B Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
    keep copies of the paperwork in anycase, I sold my Vespa in the summer, I got the V11 chasing the road tax (all £15) just before christmas despite sending off the V5 slip etc.

Can I find the copies I took of the receipt, V5 and address details of the new owner....:rolleyes:

Ade

5. Rasputin

Rasputin Member

6. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    I'd personally not worry what the new owner intends to do with the car, once you've sold it and it's off & out of sight, who knows what his/her plans are? That's what the V5/logbook is for - registers who the keeper of the vehicle is and therefore where any fines/issues are taken up with.

Maybe contact them and offer to tax it for them at their own expensive (providing they transfer the money first, of course)

Maybe they've booked it in for an MOT somewhere, or have a trailer to collect it with?

The most likely thing would be that they'll drive it away and tax it on the way home or the following day. Unlikely to cause any problems and if they do, it'll be their problem, not yours :)

Will

7. popuptoaster

popuptoaster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 E55 AMG Estate
    It dont matter if your still the owner or not, its the driver at time of offence who's resposible for making sure the vehicle is taxed, even if your in a company car/truck/bus its down to the driver to make sure its taxed.

8. andy_k

andy_k MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Alfa GTV 3.0
    Personally, I'd offer to tax the car (at the buyer's expense) as it would make life easier for all concerned

9. jeremytaylor

jeremytaylor Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
    And shows a bit of goodwill - so long as they don't renege on the deal and leave you out of pocket!

10. OP
    OP
    SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    thanks for all the replies.

i would tax it for them but cant because my insurance on it ran out on it same time as the tax, otherwise i would probably of taxed it for 6 months and claimed it back unless it reaches a good enough price. I'm happy to go and tax the car at collection if the buyer has arranged insurance and brings his docs.

i'll do the reciept thing and i'm sure it will be fine. It must happen all the time i guess and aslong as you've actually got a signed reciept and sent off the V5 i reckon DVLA wouldnt pursue me if there was a problem. I'll probably write something on the reciept like: "I understand the car is currently SORN at collection and it is the buyers responsibility to tax it straight after collection" or somth8ing to that effect and get him to sign it

not that the car is sold yet though and i have no buyer currently - :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  11. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    its their issue once you sell it...

But the sensible thing for them would be to get it insured before pickup and buy tax locally..