Selling a domain name - advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalishi

Anyone got any practical/first-person experience of selling a domain name?

A few years ago I bought one with a view to setting up a Web service (the name is the service, so its value is purely for people/companies in that area). But I've been far too busy with other work to even start on it.

So I've decided to sell it - if possible. Not expecting a windfall - just a reasonable market price. Whatever that is.

So... I searched the online brokers but can't get a real idea of whether they ever sell anything (rather like those Reg Plate sellers with squillions for sale). Lots of noise and 'valuation services' but it seems rather vague.

Any pointers? ... Advice? ... Sympathy? :)

Depends on domain name. If its a valuable name, you may be able to sell, if not, then the registration will just expire and the domain will once again be available for 'open market' purchase.

Unless you have a real killer domain, it is not worth a lot. You could always stick it on eBay.

Youtube, Internet Domain Name, Domain Name Sale, NET Name items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

I have about 30 domain names, some of which I don't use any more. Some of these are quite nice, but worth diddly squat really.

Some people think domains are worth a lot more than they really are. Take these people:

ANY-Village.com - Interactive Community Websites across the Globe | Villages | USA / UK / CH | United States | United Kingdom | Switzerland

We started off in 1999 by registering the .CO.UK domain names of over 15,000 villages in the UK.
I've yet to find any of the domains they have paid for actually offering something useful :dk:

I can remember seeing /www.sexy69.com/ go for 6.2 million $ on ebay a couple of years ago......

Some people do think outside the box and get lucky. Like the guy who found out about the walmart buy out of asda and registered a domain they needed. Think he got millions.

Like the guy who found out about the walmart buy out of asda and registered a domain they needed. Think he got millions.

Do you have a link to this story? If you were to register a domain which had either Asda and/or Walmart in it, you will find yourself in breach of a trademark. They can appeal against you holding the domain and if they win, it will be taken off you.

Trust me, I know about this as I lost one domain to a company because they claimed it was an infringement on their registered name.

He saw a loop hole, walmart had not register its trading name in the UK. Don't have a link but I'm sure you'll be able to find it on the web.

Thanks. Have just looked on Ebay. I see that in the Completed Listings, there are almost none that have actually sold. And so many of the asking prices there are complete fantasy.

The domain names are messageassistant.com and messageguardian.com - worthless to anyone except those looking to do Webmail or email services. I also have (but am keeping) firstmail.com.

Just looked on www.afternic.com for other domains with 'message' as a sub-string and I can see that there are LOTS of them, but only directmessage.com has a bid ($5000).

As the only people wanting this sort of domain name are people who want to provide the sort of service that the names imply, maybe I should put "This site for sale" pages up for a while? To see if would-be service providers want to buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom