Selling A Reg Plate Document - Puzzled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Were about to go to the Lakes and on the way we are meeting a guy who is buying BDS 9 from me that is on retention, I have the ret doc but should I have done something first, there is no clear "sell your plate sign here" box just grantee and nominee.

If anyones done it i would apprciate a heads up before I waste my time possibly (and look a fool)

Hello Dave, not done one for a couple of years, but the last time I did this, you as the grantee will have to change the nominee to the buyers details and send it back to DVLA with a £25 fee. When that is done, DVLA will send the amended document back to you and only then will you be able to exchange. I think the buyer will have to trust you with his cash for a few weeks while the process goes through.

Yes, you have to send the document to DVLA to add him as the nominee. It's useless to him without doing this first. When you recieve it back from DVLA you can then send it to him, they will only return it to the grantee address.

Crikey so when you buy one for £££ out the papers you have to trust the private seller - not sure if i would do that.

Yes, you have to send the document to DVLA to add him as the nominee. It's useless to him without doing this first. When you recieve it back from DVLA you can then send it to him, they will only return it to the grantee address.

But obviously I dont want to change it unless he pays for it so its a bit catch 22 in the trust game either I change it to him and he pays me or he pays me then i change it to him ....

Crikey so when you buy one for £££ out the papers you have to trust the private seller - not sure if i would do that.

Nervous times - I did it once and trusted the buyer with my £1500 for 3 weeks. When it came through the post, I was so relieved.

But obviously I dont want to change it unless he pays for it so its a bit catch 22 in the trust game either I change it to him and he pays me or he pays me then i change it to him ....

I have sold many like this, the buyer usually pays up front first then you send it away to DVLA etc. He will have to trust you as he can't send it to DVLA so get him to pay you up front, give him a written receipt and all should be fine. It can take a few weeks to get the retention document back from DVLA.

You could always do the paperwork change with him at the time of payment then post it to the DVLA in his presence to add to the comfort zone.

That is why people use dealers. You could use use a third party (a solicitor or business to hold funds).

Had this when selling a boat. I wouldn't release boat till cleared funds in my bank (even if he paid cash I wanted it taken to the bank first in case it was counterfeit- there was alot floating around at the time). He wanted boat handed over first. In the end we got a boatbuilder to act as middleman for a modest fee.

Dave, just fill out sections 1 & 2, and make sure you sign and date section 6. If you are both happy with the payment arrangements (and the £25 assignment fee) you can then hand it over to the buyer and it's up to him after that.

Last edited:
Dave, just fill out sections 1 & 2, and make sure you sign and date section 6. If you are both happy with the payment arrangements (and the £25 assignment fee) you can then hand it over to the buyer and it's up to him after that.

No its not upto him. DVLA will only send it back to the grantee, not the nominee....

No its not upto him. DVLA will only send it back to the grantee, not the nominee....

Leigh, are you talking about assigning a retention certificate to another person, or transferring a registration from one car to another with different owners? Car documention goes back to the grantor, but the ret. cert will be sent back to the grantee once signed over by the grantor.

Leigh, are you talking about assigning a retention certificate to another person, or transferring a registration from one car to another with different owners? Car documention goes back to the grantor, but the ret. cert will be sent back to the grantee once signed over by the grantor.

Yes Mike, assigning a retention certificate to another person as per the first post.

When you send it to DVLA to have the nominee name changed they send it back to you (the grantee) and then you have to send it on to the nominee as your details remain on the document until it is assigned to the nominee's vehicle.

Last edited:
Yep, it's exactly as MD5 states.

The retention document will get sent back to you once the nominee has been added.

We've bought and sold plates like this privatley and with dealers and it's been straight forward on all occassions. The nominee has no rights until the plate is assigned to their vehicle. So one option could be to take a reasonable deposit until the nominee gets added.

One thing that I'v noticed that appears to be a new feature, is that now when you take a plate off a car an place it onto retention you're given the option of putting the retention document in someone elses name (it even states for example as a gift). I'm pretty sure that when taking a plate off, the grantee was listed as the registered keeper whilst you could include anyone as a nominee.

Yep, it's exactly as MD5 states.

The retention document will get sent back to you once the nominee has been added.

We've bought and sold plates like this privatley and with dealers and it's been straight forward on all occassions. The nominee has no rights until the plate is assigned to their vehicle. So one option could be to take a reasonable deposit until the nominee gets added.

One thing that I'v noticed that appears to be a new feature, is that now when you take a plate off a car an place it onto retention you're given the option of putting the retention document in someone elses name (it even states for example as a gift). I'm pretty sure that when taking a plate off, the grantee was listed as the registered keeper whilst you could include anyone as a nominee.

Exactly what I said....

Hi have just completed a transfer - if buyer is putting the plate straight on a car you can change nominee at the same time as getting the registration on the car just sign the change of nominee etc and put the new car details on it at the local DVLA office plus £25 quid- no need to wait !!!!

I guess my memory isn't what it used to be! As an aside, I bought a cheap plate from what turned out to be a salesman from a car dealership once, and he hadn't signed the certificate. When I emailed him for his address, his reply was 'just sign it on my behalf - I do it all the time'!!

As a further aside, I once sold my old car to a friend, and had to wait for the plates to be transferred to our new car, so they remained on the old car for a couple of weeks. My wife had a call from a friend, worried I was having an affair, having spotted our old car at a new location in the small hours over a period of time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom