Selling a SORNed car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
So, I have this old car on SORN (not mine, but I've been tasked with disposing of it).

And there's this chap I know who wants to buy it.

So far so good.

I have the original pre-SORN V5C but I am not sure if I can use it to sell the car (i.e. if the reference number will work online). I can't recall if when we SORNed the car, we got a new V5C that says the car is SORNed.

Can someone confirm if the V5C of a SORNed car remains the same? Or would the DVLA have sent-out to the registered keeper a new V5C?

Thank you in advance.

Never got a new V5C last time I sorned a few months ago.
Used original V5C to tax it again.

Thank you!

Car now sold while SORN. Thank you again.

Question: if there was unpaid VED due prior to the car being SORN, will the new owner need to pay any historic due tax in order to remove the SORN status? Or can they simply remove the SORN and pay the tax as of now? In other words, does any historic tax liability stay with the previous keeper, or go with the car?

Anything due is with the previous owner.
As I understand if not sorned or taxed an auto "fine" is issued.
That's happened to friends who just didn't tax their cars as they were not using them or getting rid of them.

Ok, I know it's not "tax". 😉

The new owner will need to sorn it if its not going straight on the road ,the original sorn doesn't swop with ownership if it had any tax outstanding you would of known by now I still get a summons for a car i sold 2 year's ago 😉

The new owner will need to sorn it if its not going straight on the road ,the original sorn doesn't swop with ownership if it had any tax outstanding you would of known by now I still get a summons for a car i sold 2 year's ago 😉
The new owner told me he was going to MOT, tax, and insure the car.

However the MOT is still showing as expired, and the car as SORN. The last V5C was issues 8 years ago (to the previous owner).

I am assuming that the DVLA site has not updated yet? The sale took place last Saturday, with the DVLA being notified online.

Usually takes upto 5 day's 👍

It's now showing the V5C as last issued on 4th July (the sale date was 3rd July, so that makes sense).

And the car is shown as 'untaxed', which again is expected due to the SORN status expiring on change of ownership.

So it seems that the new owner did nothing - i.e. hadn't paid tax or SORNed it, and has not MOTed it either. Oh well....

It's now showing the V5C as last issued on 4th July (the sale date was 3rd July, so that makes sense).

And the car is shown as 'untaxed', which again is expected due to the SORN status expiring on change of ownership.

So it seems that the new owner did nothing - i.e. hadn't paid tax or SORNed it, and has not MOTed it either. Oh well....
In the words of Douglas Adams that is an SEP.

Someone Else's Problem 👍😁

Bear in mind that all cars cannot be sold with tax, technically all cars are sold as SORN. All second hand cars on forecourts have no road tax :D

Totally agree but if you as a new owner don't sorn it you WILL receive a fine

In the words of Douglas Adams that is an SEP.

Someone Else's Problem 👍😁

Totally. I am just curious as to why the new owner didn't tax and MOT the car (as he said he would do), that's all.

Totally. I am just curious as to why the new owner didn't tax and MOT the car (as he said he would do), that's all.
You can rely on (some) people to let you down....

You can rely on (some) people to let you down....

I didn't want to (knowingly) be party to any illegally, and so I explained to him that the car can only be driven on a public road to a pre-booked MOT. He came and drove the car away to a 'pre-booked MOT'. So unless the car broke down en-route (or worse, crashed...), then he either changed his mind, or wasn't truthful from the start. Either way, now that I can see that a new V5C has been issued, it's only my curiosity that needs to be satisfied at this point, because, as your rightly pointed-out, it's now SEP :D

Update: in the end, the chap had the car MOTed, taxed, and insured :thumb: but clearly, he wasn't going to MOT it on the day he drove off with it. Oh well.

Update: in the end, the chap had the car MOTed, taxed, and insured :thumb: but clearly, he wasn't going to MOT it on the day he drove off with it. Oh well.

Some people just aren't bothered. We moved house a month ago ... a few days back I was chasing the council for a refund on the Council Tax at our old address and they mentioned that nobody else had registered there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom