Selling an AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just change in circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I wasn't being nosey but I believe I read somewhere you were after a diesel for commute. If that's true, would you consider part exchange with cash your way? Myself I'm not in the market but having just sold my brother's 1998 740L, I had a few inquiries from people wanting to trade their car in against his.

...it also makes you look desperate to get rid of the car, and raises false expectations on the buyer's side.

And some buyers actually do this as deliberate tactics - pretty much in the same way that the likes of webuyanycar.com do - ie they are trying to wear you down hoping you'll tell yourself that since you've gone through all this effort you might as well just cut a deal rather than take the car back.

Yup, driving from Notts to London is a sign of desperation. The buyer thought he was on to a proper sucker. Well done for not accepting 10 grand for it.

He gave me a sob story which I fell for like a sucker. And people wonder why when you sell a car you get fed up. Lol

All I can say is that the last time I sold a car privately was in 1993.

Been trading them in ever since.

(I did try briefly selling a car privately in 2001 again but gave up on it after the first few callers....)

The rise in popularity of programs like Wheeler Dealers has convinced many that they are the best sales person out there at both buying and selling. Mike Brewer (who I actually like) starts almost every program with a ""watch how you do this". The buyer wants £xxxx but I'm going to offer him £yyyyy. Mike's offer is then accepted without the slightest defense or argument.

I think they should have " real life" show. Where Mike turns up, makes a derisory offer and then gets told to F*Ck OFF. Yes it would be a very short show but worth the wait.

Posing as a private buyer:devil::wallbash: the worst kind of species you can encounter when selling...i'm really not sure i would have been as lenient as you...

Personally i prefer to buy cars privately, so i can ask direct searching questions and get direct answers, or at least try, instead of all the salesman spiel which i hate:crazy: inflated prices and loads of trade cars sold with faults with warranty, meaning reject claim until punter gets fed up and goes away....

If we could fast forward to April / May you would have sold in 4 weeks tops at the right price.

Oh and it turns out he was a dealer posing as a private buyer. I don't usually have this much hassle selling cars, been doing it for years.

Last edited:
I've always said that if you want to lose faith in the intelligence of the populace go and try to sell a car.

I still lunch out on my ebay selling experience when selling a full set of Genuine Hamaan Sport 26" Turbine Wheels and Tyres in Gloss Black,

Advertised as " BLACK, 26"Hamaan Sport Rims & Tyres" With two colour photographs of each wheel.

The winning bidder refused to pay, stating in writing to ebay "I didn't realise that they were BLACK!!"

Agreed, however i sold my E55K back in May to the nicest guy you could meet, firstly i had the timewasters, can you bring it to London so i can view:rolleyes: only a 200 mile trip for me:fail first to actually view bought it...took 4 weeks which i thought at the time was long...so there are genuine nice people out there, its just trying to find them:thumb:

I've always said that if you want to lose faith in the intelligence of the populace go and try to sell a car.

Luck of the draw I suppose. Sold the wife's A4 Cab within 2 days at the asking price in September.. No messing. Mind you I think AMG/M/RS do attract more than their fair share of dreamers and chancers.

The rise in popularity of programs like Wheeler Dealers has convinced many that they are the best sales person out there at both buying and selling. Mike Brewer (who I actually like) starts almost every program with a ""watch how you do this". The buyer wants £xxxx but I'm going to offer him £yyyyy. Mike's offer is then accepted without the slightest defense or argument.

I think they should have " real life" show. Where Mike turns up, makes a derisory offer and then gets told to F*Ck OFF. Yes it would be a very short show but worth the wait.

He's good at buying them but rubbish at selling, they've made a massive real terms loss on everything they've had...the Bronco sounded hopeful until you see the 200+ man hours!

Totally agree, if you add on the labour charge then its a loss on every car:crazy: hope he doesn't do that for a living:rolleyes:

Mike Brewer Motors | Used Cars Dealership in Sheffield

He's good at buying them but rubbish at selling, they've made a massive real terms loss on everything they've had...the Bronco sounded hopeful until you see the 200+ man hours!

Says sold on the website....that was quick!

That's where he bought it from. He now owns it.

Ah...OK....I see. Has he not had it long then? Looks nice.

Does it help you much if he took your car in return for his car is cash?

Hey, no competing Bigrich! ;P

Interesting that that went for that price. It's lower mileage than mine. Have a trade buyer willing to offer a bit below that so they can sell for just under £10k, but it owes me a bit more than that after the bumper trauma!

Ah...OK....I see. Has he not had it long then? Looks nice.

Does it help you much if he took your car in return for his car is cash?

He has suggested a px and cash my way.. he hasn't said how much yet though...

Hey, no competing Bigrich! ;P

Interesting that that went for that price. It's lower mileage than mine. Have a trade buyer willing to offer a bit below that so they can sell for just under £10k, but it owes me a bit more than that after the bumper trauma!

Sorry Alan... forgot you were selling yours!

He has suggested a px and cash my way.. he hasn't said how much yet though...

A p/x is defeating the whole object of selling the CLS though:doh:
Just as well keep it if you are thinking of doing that deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom