Selling my 4200 & Chimaera - 2 into 1 - Thoughts on replacement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
I have decided to sell me blue 4200 and my Chimaera. The plan is to sell the two and buy a better more expensive interesting car. Anyone done anything similar and have any thoughts.

I have thought about an SLK55 as would like another MB again. Other than that I have been struggling for an MB option as not really looking for a soft top per se as not really a fan. Would prefer a fixed head. Something like a C63 Coupe isn't really special enough (no offence intended!) as I won't do many miles in it so looking for something more special.

The 4200 is up for sale in another thread. Any help or advice to the ad and improvements are always welcomed ;)
2005/55 MASERATI 4200 COUPE CAMBIOCORSA FACELIFT GREAT COLOUR COMBO SWAP PART EX | eBay

How about an R231 SL500 or SL63 if budget permits, has performance of a C63 with hard top convertible and a little more comfort (space) than the SLK55 and more reliability than the now ageing R230?

If you are considering the SLK would recommend you test drive both..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

What do you intend to use the car for?

Track days
Car shows
Holidays
Sunday afternoon cruises to the pub...

I will have a look at the new SL's maybe could be an option.

I think the CL's would bit too big as I already have a Jag XJ-L SuperSport that kind of fills that space. Something a bit smaller would be ideal. It doesn't even need 4 seats so 2 is fine.

What do you intend to use the car for?

Track days
Car shows
Holidays
Sunday afternoon cruises to the pub...

Nothing in particular or specific really. Won't be for work just for a bit of recreational fun. Possibly an odd track day. An occasional no reason drive.

I will have a look at the new SL's maybe could be an option.

I think the CL's would bit too big as I already have a Jag XJ-L SuperSport that kind of fills that space. Something a bit smaller would be ideal. It doesn't even need 4 seats so 2 is fine.
I used to drive an XF, as an ex Jag driver I must say with the SL you get a nice balance of comfort with sportiness, it fits nicely between the Masser and Chimera..

The SLK55 is on my 'one day' list. You get the charisma of an AMG V8 without the additional complexity of an R231 and associated worries as the car gets older.

I always wanted a really nice Chimaera 450 ... still look at them from time to time :oops: but my R129 is so well sorted it would be really hard to justify changing.

Your Maser. looks beautiful - good luck with the sale of that :)

The SLK55 is on my 'one day' list. You get the charisma of an AMG V8 without the additional complexity of an R231 and associated worries as the car gets older.

I always wanted a really nice Chimaera 450 ... still look at them from time to time :oops: but my R129 is so well sorted it would be really hard to justify changing.

It is hard to decide as I would like manual box but not something MB have done much of over the years I had bought this car:
2000 TVR Chimaera 450S Turbo

I must stress it wasn't from this dealer as this was an old ad. It had moved on to James Henderson @ Greenside Cars in Norfolk. However after putting many hours into the deal and my Chimaera & 4200 going in part ex, the dealer and a PH forum member decided to do a deal behind my back without me knowing the day before James @ Greenside was due to visit me on the Thursday. Needless to say that I was slightly aghast and annoyed.....that being an understatement!

Yes, the 4200 is a lovely thing that I personally feel are undervalued and underrated. Great value for money for this reason. I don't think I will ever sell my first one. It was featured in Modern Classics a couple of years back and has only done 15k miles from new at just 12 years old with 12 services on the button!

MASERATI_4200_DS_043_resized lower2.jpg

R230 SL65 would be a good replacement for those two Dean.

Have you already sold the QP? Did I miss that or simply forget?!

R230 SL65 would be a good replacement for those two Dean.

Have you already sold the QP? Did I miss that or simply forget?!

Thanks Lee. Yup, sold the QP maybe nearly 2 years ago now. I could see the QP values dropping further so took the chance to sell at a decent price. Glad I did! Wanted to get a newer facelift QPV 4.7 GTS but they were just too much money IMHO. Went for a lovely 2010 XJ-L SuperSport instead at about £10k less. Only 510 PS from that cracking 5.0 Supercharged V8 ;)

IMG_20190802_100027v3.jpg IMG_20190114_114026v3.jpg IMG_20190114_114048v3.jpg

You're not alone Bill, a Chimaera/Griffith was the alternative option when the SL was purchased, and remains in my mind. I think I'd miss the creature comforts of the Mercedes though, like aircon that actually works.

Very Q-Car is the XJ SS, no one expects it to have that much power.

Facelift QP GTS are hitting low 20’s now from what I see - the best looking saloon ever made in my eyes.

You're not alone Bill, a Chimaera/Griffith was the alternative option when the SL was purchased, and remains in my mind. I think I'd miss the creature comforts of the Mercedes though, like aircon that actually works.
Love a TVR. I bought a Griffith brand new on a K plate and later on had a Chimaera.
My business partner at the time had a Tuscan on a Y plate which made way for a 350R. That was the biggest pile of kak and he handed the keys back after 2 weeks of ownership!!

Good old TVR at Arkley.

The R231 is not the same as the R230, no more complexities than an SLK if you buy non AMG V8 which if required can be re-mapped to same output as standard AMG.

The SL is a much better car in reality. You need to be a little compromising and slightly nuts or a car nut to have a TVR in order to forgive its many failings. Get over these hurdles and they make more sense.

Very Q-Car is the XJ SS, no one expects it to have that much power.

Facelift QP GTS are hitting low 20’s now from what I see - the best looking saloon ever made in my eyes.

The XJ SS certainly is a little unassuming to those who don't know. I was at Llandow on a track day last year with a guy in a Noble M12 GTO. There was a white XJR there which was pulling away from us on the straights and almost as quick round the bends. Great VFM.

Love a TVR. I bought a Griffith brand new on a K plate and later on had a Chimaera.
My business partner at the time had a Tuscan on a Y plate which made way for a 350R. That was the biggest pile of kak and he handed the keys back after 2 weeks of ownership!!

Good old TVR at Arkley.

I think that is my issue with some of these TVR's at £25k-£30k+ as they start to make less sense at those prices. They are jumped up kit cars at the end of the day and I do like them btw! My Chimera was less than £15k and is pretty decent so I can make sense of that. A Sagaris @ £75k or a Tuscan 2 at £50k.....not so sure that makes sense to me.

I have my Chimaera in for an annual service funnily enough @ Bespoke Performance in Ware this week. These are the guys that worked at The TVR Centre, Arkley and bought/took it over when it was closing.

The SL is a much better car in reality. You need to be a little compromising and slightly nuts or a car nut to have a TVR in order to forgive its many failings. Get over these hurdles and they make more sense.

Back in 2008 I came within 48hrs of owning a Tuscan 2, but the pre-sale service turned up some gremlins in the engine so my deposit was refunded. I wonder if I dodged a bullet there :D

Well dodged I reckon ;)

I heard from a guy recently who bought a Cerbera a few years back that had an engine failure after 35 miles of having it. That was an £11k bill. Then he spent another £13k over the next 2.5 years.....then wrote it off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom