Selling my car - £19,995 ONO or £18,999 NO OFFERS?

£19,995 Offers or £18,999 no offers

• £19,995 ONO (OR NEAR OFFER) - would take £19,000

Votes: 49 87.5%
  • £18,999 NO OFFERS - i really cant sell yet for less than this

Votes: 7 12.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

i am selling my car as i've mentioned before.

I've got it priced at £19,995 but open to offers and if someone was ready to drive it away i would accept £19,000 as my lowest.

So, should I put the price as:

£19,995 ONO (as it is advertised now)

or

£18,999 NO OFFERS

Not sure if the "no offers" thing would annoy people a bit?.... everyone likes to negotiate on car prices.....

???? there is a poll ! cheers

Last edited:
£19,495?

People will always make you an offer no matter what the ad says.

I voted for the £19,995 option.
Someone might come along and only knock you down £500;)

Even if you put NO OFFERS, people will still try and knock you down anyway.
It's a fact of life:rolleyes:

IMO you should price it at £18,995 without putting 'no offers'

I advertised (without saying ‘no offers’) and sold my Saab 9-3 for £9,995 and a guy from the trade actually bought it.

When he made me a lower offer I said I can't accept anything lower than the advertised price of £9,995 so he started to tell me that you should never advertise a car at a price where there is no room for manoeuvre but after the lecture he still paid me the full asking price.

Moral of the story is, if you have an near immaculate car which can’t be faulted and it’s advertised bang on the money or even lower then someone who’s made the effort to view it is unlikely to walk away for the sake of a few quid. I can’t see the point of putting ‘no offers’ because it puts me off and might put others off.

My car was fully loaded, the right colour, had low mileage and priced lower than everything else on Auto trader with a similar spec.

I was quite happy to send people packing if they tried to make an offer so pricing it at my lowest acceptable sale price worked and also got me a lot of calls compared to a silent telephone a week before when it was priced £1000 higher.

As has been said, people will still make an offer - even if you say no offers.
Its your choice really.

go for the 19995 ono, people are bound to make an offer and u could find urself in a position where u could get a few hundred knocked off and both parties walk away happy!

In my view, people will always want to feel that they are getting a good deal, i.e they will want to knock you down a bit. Give both them and yourself room for manover, price above what you will accept probably £19495.

I voted 19995, but would be inclined to say if you've not had the interest that you want so far to go for 19495 / 19500.

As people have stated buyers will haggle.

If I saw a car £18995 no offers after discussion with the owner, I would still make an offer, and it would be up to you to decide. £19995 ono could drop to £19500 so you would still get a better deal.

I went for £19995 with offers as they'll always want to negotiate and if you really can't sell it for less than £19K then the lower number is only going to give you deals you can't do.

If someone pitched up with £18,750 in cash, would you send them away?
That's the question you have to ask yourself.

I would say no offers in the ad coz at least then potential buyers know that is your bottom line. You just gotta stick to it. That's the hard part.

Good luck

How much is it advertised for at the moment, and how much interest has there been?

If it's not sold yet, the price must be higher than the amount people have so far been prepared to pay.

The other alternative is that there's nobody look for a 7-series at the moment - but if priced right, you'd find people looking for another car interested in it, eg 5-series, A8, S-Class, etc.

What happens if you can't get your £19k minimum? Is keeping it an option?

The reason I ask is that whilst it might be tempting to hold out for as much as you can, with each month that passes by it will have depreciated further and you've had to meet the cost of advertising.

Ultimately it may cost you more to hold out for the best price than it would advertising for a lower price and selling it quickly.

Of course if the reason for selling is because you have to or need to - rather than want to - then there will come a point where "I can't afford to sell it for less than X" becomes "I can't afford not to sell it".

I would personally avoid "No offers" and instead would price at £18,990. If there's lots of interest insist on the asking price, if there's little take as much as you can.

I'd suggest £18,990 as it will apear before all the cars priced at £18,995 and £18,999 when sorted from lowest to highest price. ;)

Good luck with the sale. Sounds like a nice car - at the right price, I'm sure a buyer is out there.

I would also leave out the 'no offers' as it is a bit 'aggressive' and may turn people off. The main thing is to get a buyer to come and view the car - when they are standing in front of you, you can hold your price and justify why ("look at the condition, look at the service history etc etc ") rather than run the risk of a buyer seeing 'No offers' and deciding just to call the next car on the list in the Autotrader etc

Hello,

What is the car worth?

I think you have had it for sale a while is the price correct anyway? I like the 7 series and what a car for little money but worth checking in the trader and piston heads what they are actually worth in the 'real' world?

Saying that I would put £19,950 or offers as if you put £18,990 I would still offer you less..

You can always go lower but you cannot go up

Good luck

I'm very much in the Bobby Dazzler court.

For how long have you been trying to sell the car and have you had any offers? Every month that goes by and you fail to sell the vehicle might see the price drop even further, so it's a case of you pays your money and take your chances.

I know what you think about your very nice vehicle and we all want to sell our car's at the highest possible price, but I doubt many folks go out of their way to pay top dollar for a privately sold vehicle:eek:

Whatever your decision, I would suggest it might be better to take an offer rather than not selling the car.

Good luck
John

in my opinion - if someone advertises for 19999 - I just feel why not ask 20000 and stop insulting my intelligence -- but 19950 gives a different slant on it..

I personally looking at your bottom line would had put it on at 19725 and start from there...

Hi

Thanks for all replied.

Car is at top price, but it also has all the boxes ticked on it, in immaculate condition, just need to find a buyer who is willing to pay for it. Prices range from £15k to £20k for the same age vehicle. but i guess you get what you pay for.

i really cant sell for much less than £19k as i need a decent amount of money from the sale - i'm only selling it as i need the money, if i cant get the amount i need then i may aswell keep it - i absolutely love the car (and planned on keeping it until it died before i needed the cash) and i owe no finance etc on it. yes i guess i would tkae £18,900 or whatever if they were standing with cash on my driveway, but ideally i want around the £20k mark so ONO to me is £500 off - max £1k off!

So i think i'll keep it at £19,995 ono for now - its only been advertised since New Year and its not the best time to sell a car. i'm in no great rush to sell either. i would prefer it to be gone by april time as the tax and free service pack runs out in may.....

cheers for all replied/voted!!

derek

in my opinion - if someone advertises for 19999 - I just feel why not ask 20000 and stop insulting my intelligence -- but 19950 gives a different slant on it..

I personally looking at your bottom line would had put it on at 19725 and start from there...

£19999 takes it down from the search engines "£10k to £20k" filters etc was my main choice.

does £300 odd off the asking price really make much difference when selling a car at this price? i guess it would on a 3k car, but £20k? when i sold my CLK they haggled with £2k off when they came to view... which i accepted purly because i had purchased the bmw and needed to sell that week

Cars should really sell within a week or few weeks max, if it's not selling it's simply too expensive.

Sadly, although it's probably an excellent example and has lots of options that might have been expensive new, this will only add a small amount to it's current value, although it should make it slightly more desirable for a potential new owner.

People buying secondhand cars generally want a bargain, it needs to look like a bargain compared to the competition out there ;)

Good luck with the sale, and personally I'd be tempted to advertise it at the lower figure to encourage viewings and interest, once the viewing has taken place and the punter is interested you can discuss prices and try and explain your pricing better - and obviously be firmer on your price :)

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom