Selling old vinyl records

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
I've got some records from the late 80s and early 90s which I bought, recorded and put away in a dark cupboard so they're all mint. They're mostly early indie: The Wonder Stuff, Stone Roses, Teenage Fanclub, Senseless Things, etc.

The time has come to let them go, along with a few from the 1960s which belonged to my parents, so I'm looking for tips on identifying rarer ones, valuing, selling, or maybe finding a buyer who might take a job lot.

Thoughts?

You could always check e-bay to see what similar ones are going for?

stone roses... I used to cruise to that in my Uni days :) still good tunes

Do you want the good news - or the bad news first ? ?

The bad news is that VERY few vinyl are worth more than what you paid. 95% of albums - even MINT are rarely worth more than £5.
The trick is identifying those remaining 5%.
The even bigger trick is of those remaining 5% finding the gems that may be worth £50 plus.
Is often believed that old vinyl is automatically worth more than newer vinyl. Which is not always the case. Some of Maddonas limited releases can fetch hundreds of pounds. Rarer vinyl by the likes of Queen and Bowie can reach into the thousands.
Use ebay as a guide. Search in there for prices of stuff you own. That will give you a good idea.
There is a website called DISCOGS which is excellent and to find vinyl NOT listed on there would be very unlikely. That is certainly worth the visit.
Taking them along in a block to a seller trader of vinyl will be a certain way to get ripped off. They will buy at 20p and sell for £5. Not a good idea.
You can sell your records on DISCOGS. I have bought many records there and its a good environment.

http://www.discogs.com/

You could always check e-bay to see what similar ones are going for?

stone roses... I used to cruise to that in my Uni days :) still good tunes

I had a quick sniff around eBay, and the range of prices can vary a lot. If I can't find anything better to advise me on what's rarer, I might just list everything with a 99p start on the basis that interest will gather on anything special-ish.

Some belters, but Fools Gold is possibly their finest.

Last edited:
Te bad news is that VERY few vinyl are worth more than what you paid. 95% of albums - even MINT are rarely worth more than £5.
The trick is identifying those remaining 5%.
The even bigger trick is of those remaining 5% finding the gems that may be worth £50 plus.

Thanks VTD, this is what I need a steer on.

First record I searched for appears to be one of those gems:

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=2106878&ev=mrb

I'll give you a fiver for that Stone Roses LP Bobby.

Bobby,
Have you compiled a list of what you have for sale, if so could you PM it to me? I am a bit of a collector. You have received some good advice in this thread,

Cheers,
firthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom