Selling privately

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddcomp

Car
E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
What are current opinions on selling privately?

I've looked on Auto Trader but there doesn't appear to be many low mileage W203 available to compare to.

I've used WBAC.com with success before for my wife's car. So this is an option, but I would like to see if I can do any better (without incurring too much hassle).

Online valuations don't appear to rate my car any higher than than the WBAC price, so maybe this is the best option?

My 06 plate 2006, C220CDI Auto Avantgarde SE with Sport Pack in Diamond Black, has 39K and a full service history (no other options). I bought it from Mercedes Direct (at 12 months old) so the only previous owner was Lombard. I'm not sure if I would better the £7k being offered as a trade price, is there a market for older low mileage cars enough to bump the price up?

As we're all after a bargain I assume that someone buying the car would want the same.

with the miles your car has it should get snapped up at 7k.Autotrader or Gumtree are your best starting places.

I think you need to take a punt on Autotrader, Gumtree, Pistonheads and maybe even on here.

If only high mileage examples are there, increase the price of yours to take that into account.

How much is mileage worth? Looking at Auto Trader prices for similar but these are all dealers who offer PX and warranties.

It seems that most second hand diesels are high-mileage cars while low-mileage cars tend to be petrol (which makes sense).

The reason prices are slightly abnormal is that people looking for a second hand diesel car are usually those who look for low-cost motoring, so while paying a little more for diesel over petrol makes sense because the savings on fuel costs will catch-up in the long run, paying much more does not make sense. So it can be difficult to sell a diesel car at above the average price.

But all this is statistical and affect the price guides. So ignore the average prices, sell privately and you will find the one buyer who is prepared to pay more for a clean low-mileage diesel car.

Your problem as I see it is the present value of your car. It's young enough to represent a considerable sum of money but is old enough to possibly present with expensive repair problems. Someone buying from a dealer probably will have the reassurance [ real or imaginary :rolleyes: ]of some sort of warranty with the car. That as I see it is your main selling problem. It might even be worth offering the cost of a year's aftermarket warranty with the car to improve its selling chances--- it works for the trade?

Will be really hard to get the £7k mark as you can find some w204 with average mileage 60-70 for £7-8k and some buyer prefers to go for a newer shape better looking car with a bit higher mileage

WBAC straight in
Dealing with silly buyers you don't want to do that,trust me so so stressful

I sold my last car on here (R2 the 3rd). My car was recommended by a member to a friend of his who bought it unseen because of the members recomendation. The transaction was perfect. He paid in advance, travelled down from Leeds to collect the car. We went out for lunch/coffee and I spent 2 hours handing the car over properly and explaining all the bits and pieces.

I get health updates from R2 the 3rd sometimes. He is still being looked after nicely but finds it colder "up north"! Here is a recent update photo :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom