Selling Shares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have small share holdings in about 9 different companies. On checking their value recently, I was rather shocked as to their low value.
This is despite always re-investing any dividends. I have decided to sell them. I am wondering what is the best, cheapest way of selling
them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

The FT100 dropped 2000 points from 7000 to 5000 and only increased to around 6000 points. Google the companies you have invested in and see various comments. You may find advice buy, sell or keep. there must be plenty of on line brokers.

I have small share holdings in about 9 different companies. On checking their value recently, I was rather shocked as to their low value.
This is despite always re-investing any dividends. I have decided to sell them. I am wondering what is the best, cheapest way of selling
TIA

Presumbly you hold these in certificate form (e you have a piece of paper evidencing your holding) rather than holding them electronically in a broker's nominee account

This link may help

Other brokers and (most) high street banks offer a certificate sale service...but it will cost...

If they are on paper, I would transfer them to a broker (I use www.ii.co.uk and quite like them). You should be able to then sell them for little (or even no) commission.

I would be very surpised if a broker did something (sell shares) for nothing (no commission)...

I would be very surpised if a broker did something (sell shares) for nothing (no commission)...
I get free trades with II if I take the market price at that moment. If I specify a min price to sell or a max price to buy and the order is fulfilled, it costs £7.99

That being said, there is a monthly fee for the service, so I guess you could argue that even free trades are not free.....

I get free trades with II if I take the market price at that moment. If I specify a min price to sell or a max price to buy and the order is fulfilled, it costs £7.99

That being said, there is a monthly fee for the service, so I guess you could argue that even free trades are not free.....

argh - the old prepaid con....

TIA

Name the shares, might be some that are worth holding on to.

If the shares were Doing well pre Covid , then wait until they recover otherwise you are selling at a loss .
If they weren’t doing well pre Covid the that’s a different matter .
What are they ?

The shares are in Pennon, National Grid, Lloyds, SSE, BT, Royal Mail, Santander, Shell A and B.

Bt in possible bid talks, worth holding -

Lloyds should recover as economy improves.

Shell worth holding/buying with the price floating around all time lows -

1599036956657.png

The shares are in Pennon, National Grid, Lloyds, SSE, BT, Royal Mail, Santander, Shell A and B.

national Grid - reasonable yield, captive market

Lloyd’s - dead in the market, you already own it as a tax payer, won’t be allowed to make large profits in the current/ immediate future as Govt owned bank can’t be seen at a profit making devil incarnate

sse - ok as a utility but likely to face continued price regulation

bt - a large pension deficit to fund while trying to buy its way into the sports tv mkt. risk of further accounting scandals

Royal Mail - ineffective cost cutting, heavily unionised , when did you last send a letter or parcel via RM

Santander - ok but no clear strategy whilst board level infighting continues

shell - oil price is low and will remain low, no clear future strategy to move away from carbon fossil fuels, unlike BP.

Lloyd’s - dead in the market, you already own it as a tax payer, won’t be allowed to make large profits in the current/ immediate future as Govt owned bank can’t be seen at a profit making devil incarnate

bt - a large pension deficit to fund while trying to buy its way into the sports tv mkt. risk of further accounting scandals

Royal Mail - ineffective cost cutting, heavily unionised , when did you last send a letter or parcel via RM

shell - oil price is low and will remain low, no clear future strategy to move away from carbon fossil fuels, unlike BP.

....but on a positive note.... :)

Shell energy transition report -

I was speaking to an Apple employee recently and he said he really did rather regret selling his Apple shares just over 20 years ago.

I bet he does!

I haven’t checked but aren’t all those shares good dividend payers .

I was speaking to an Apple employee recently and he said he really did rather regret selling his Apple shares just over 20 years ago.

I bet he does!

Don't know if it's true, but when Apple started they hired a painter to do some work in their building and paid him with a few shares - which made him a millionaire eventually!

Don't know if it's true, but when Apple started they hired a painter to do some work in their building and paid him with a few shares - which made him a millionaire eventually!

I was kinda right ........

Facebook paid shares instead of cash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom