Senator B --I presume?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are even fewer Talbot Sambas and Morris Itals but I wouldn't pay £120k for one.
True, but have you ever heard anyone saying "When I was a kid/teen my dream car was Talbot Samba or Morris Ital". I haven't.

Talbot Sunbeam-Lotus (1979 - 1983): 2308 made
vs
Lotus Carlton (1990 – 1992): 320 made

But rarity does not always equate to value. If it did then rocking horse sh*t would be worth a fortune.

The Carlton is being listed by yet another Ebay dreamer and at that price it will be on sale forever.

I borrowed a pre-production Sunbeam Lotus. It had been badged as a 1.0 LS version. That was fun in the traffic light grand prix.

The Lotus Carlton was, for a number of years, the fastest 4-door production saloon and is somewhat iconic partly for that reason. They were also pretty easy to extract even more power from which, being blessed with a pretty good chassis, was not that unusual.

I had a 2.6i Carlton Diplomat in the early 1990's. Nowhere near as quick as the 24v GSi or the 24v chip-cutter Senator but still a great car to drive. Fond memories...

£120k for a Lotus-blown Vauxhall?

Ground-breaking cars and one of the forerunners to the very fast stuff around today but certainly not worth that.

That thing must be agricultural to drive and getting parts must be immense fun.

True, but have you ever heard anyone saying "When I was a kid/teen my dream car was Talbot Samba or Morris Ital". I haven't.

Not sure I heard Lotus Carlton in that list either.

It was more the Countach and F40 when I were a lad.

I had a 2.6i Carlton Diplomat in the early 1990's. Nowhere near as quick as the 24v GSi or the 24v chip-cutter Senator but still a great car to drive. Fond memories...

I had a lowly 2.0 GL in the early noughties and I have to say it was a great car in terms of comfort even a decade after it was new.

I remember when I was much younger and lived in London, a police driver friend complaining that the villains would lean out of the window in their Capri 2.8i and give two fingers before flooring and leaving whatever he was driving well behind!

£120k for a Lotus-blown Vauxhall?

Ground-breaking cars and one of the forerunners to the very fast stuff around today but certainly not worth that.

That thing must be agricultural to drive and getting parts must be immense fun.

Not sure I heard Lotus Carlton in that list either.

It was more the Countach and F40 when I were a lad.
Maybe for me and you it's not worth £120k but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for that much.

Yes, Countach was the dream car for me, born in 1970. My first car wasn't even an Ital, it was a Marina.

Maybe for me and you it's not worth £120k but I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for that much.
Of course it isn’t ‘worth’ that much. Somebody though, will pay that because they hope other people will think it’s special and therefore pay more for it when he sells it on.

Marina, nah, Viva HB :)

Ten-year-old Renault Dauphine shed trumps all those.

1.8 TC I'll have you know. Raw power allied to cutting edge leaf spring suspension.

Of course it isn’t ‘worth’ that much. Somebody though, will pay that because they hope other people will think it’s special and therefore pay more for it when he sells it on.

Same as the property market in London. People buy stupidly-priced houses in the knowledge they will probably be able to sell for more to an even bigger mug.

Ten-year-old Renault Dauphine shed trumps all those.
When I was a kid in the early 1960's an uncle of mine had a Gordini - two tone in red & white, with whitewall tyres. It was rotten as a pear at about 6 years old, so I shudder to think what a ten year-old one would have been like :confused:

I've just seen this post regarding the Senator, My parents still have a 1990 Senator B 3.0 L CD Auto in the Garage, had it from new and only has about 65,000 on the clock. My Dad has been meaning to get it back on the road but he's practically a full time carer for my Grandfather so it looks as though it is not coming off its SORN anytime soon. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom