Senna The Movie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Review with Spoilers!

I went to the new film about Senna last night. The first thing to say was that the Cinema at Bluewater sold out for both of last nights showings so there must be some demand for it!

The film is a documentary about Senna and contains footage of him racing and relaxing, also behind the scenes candid moments with people like Prost, Dennis and Sid Watkins. I'd hard hardly seen any of the footage before and much of it was excellent in it's portrayal of speed and danger.

The film attempts to shed light on this complicated man. A man who was driven and determined, devoutly religious and consumed with a desire to help the poor in Brazil. It also goes behind the scenes of the Prost/Senna years and shows how Senna was robbed of a World title. It also shows his confusion and lack of joy in taking revenge a year later.

The film builds, because we all know where it ends, and the whole Imola weekend is covered including all the other accidents and mishaps that weekend.

Enjoy is perhaps the wrong word for a film that ends in the star being killed but it is enlightening and interesting. My showing was met with total silence throughout the whole hour and 45 minutes.

Overall a very good film and a must see for any motor racing fans.

Article on the film in recent Telegraph or Sunday Times magazine - cant remember which - supports R2's view. Just trying to book tickets.

I shall make every effort to go to see that.

One of my (very few) genuine regrets in life is never fully appreciating Senna and his prodigious talent when he was alive. That view has changed completely now, but it is of course too late for that to matter. :(

A friend of mine used to tell me about when he used to go to Brands Hatch in the '80s to watch the qualifying etc for the GPs. He would take the trouble to get up to the back of the circuit and watch the cars whistling through the track round Dingle Dell. But there was really one one car which held his fascination. None of the others took the same line through and approach to it. I wish I had been there too.

Booking is a good idea. We didn't and got the last two remaining single seats! Ironically I was sat in seat "F1"

I don't think you need to mention spoilers, most will know the ending :thumb:

Planning on going tomorrow night - got time to kill in Sheffield - while daughter is a Artic Monkeys gig (no ticket for me :-( ) was looking where it was on earlier - better book a ticket.

EDIT: Booked now.

Last edited:
Hope you enjoy Stevesey! That trailer has so many significant bits in it-when you see the film your'll see what I mean!

Bit late I know but I went to see this film last week. Fascinating stuff, found it really strange that Prost was even allowed to the funeral and even more amazed that he is a trustee Senna's Foundation. Those guys really could drive then though and the racing was much more interesting for it than today's F1 IMHO.

The in car video taken around Monte Carlo was amazing. Such a shame that such prodigious talent was killed off by bureaucratic meddling because Williams had worked on advancing technologies during the closed season whilst others had sat back on their laurels.

Met him once (long story) - nice bloke, very short!

I don't mean a quick hello and give us an autograph btw....

Met him once (long story) - nice bloke, very short!

I don't mean a quick hello and give us an autograph btw....

Isn't being a short a*se a pre requisite for being a racing driver? Especially F1, I can't see them wanting to put my 6' 2", 16 stone into an F1 car, they'd need to find more horses and a bigger cockpit.:D

Went with a couple of workmates, one of whom told his wife. She said "I couldn't sit at a cinema listening to an hour & a half of whining going on" He replied "You expect me to listen to the equivalent length of you whining" LOL. This was on his phone in earshot, I was nearly pi*sing myself.:D:D

Isn't being a short a*se a pre requisite for being a racing driver? Especially F1, I can't see them wanting to put my 6' 2", 16 stone into an F1 car, they'd need to find more horses and a bigger cockpit.:D

How tall is Mark Webber?

How tall is Mark Webber?
About 6' 1" I think but no weight stats. Jensen Button is about 5' 10" and 70kgs. I've got another 30kgs on him so it's like having almost half of him again in the cockpit. This takes away streamlining, adds drag and means less ability to distribute weight around the car. Plus my ar*e wouldn't fit in the cockpit opening.:D

you are right that we can't enjoy the movie when the star is being killed in the end. booking is good friend.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it because I saw the film on DVD last night, and would heartily recommend it. I am not a follower of motor racing and was not expecting to find it that interesting, but I was completely wrong. It is worth seeing just for the insight you get into what a complex character Senna was. Whilst it is not a happy ending, it is utterly engrossing and very moving. Documentary film-making at its absolute best.

Watched it last night. Didn't realise how little I knew about Senna. He looked like a saint compared to M Schumacher, not that A Prost would agree. lol

I watched it a couple of nights ago, it was so so, 6/10.

The difference between todays on board cameras and the the ones in Sennas era is chalk and cheese, the vibrations made it difficults ( sic ) to see properly. Did the drivers in Sennas day suffer these vibrations or was it camera technology that we the viewer are suffering.
Great film tho, about a great driver, imho the goat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom