Sentence for murder now 4 years..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richard

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
MY04 SL55
This is just sending the wrong message to our problem kids in cities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7326439.stm

Maybee once the problem gets bad enough that a couple of judges are killed then sentencing will become appropriate. The whole concept of a life sentence being 15 years is just wrong (and probably just marketting).
(maybee i'm wrong that life now means 15 years.

If the tariff for crime X is 15 years, call it 15 years, dont pretend its life.
(even though I guess 15 years in jail does destroy your life, but you only get it for destroying a whole stack of other peoples lives)

Richard

Interesting point these sentences but it will bite the justice system in the a** one day when people will resort to self justice. Europe has its own hot spots for blood feuds and there will not be hard for people to get ideas; Corsica, Calabria, most of the Balkans

It's all money driven. Overcrowded prisons and the ever rising costs involved with building more prisons, and subsequently looking after even more prisoners, is a hard pill for the politicians to swallow. The easy cop out is shorter sentences and early release. As said by the OP.. not exactly the right message to send out.

I also agree.. a life sentence should either be a 'life' sentence or not called life but simply a '15 year sentence'. Calling 15 years life is inappropriate as we tend to live to an age 5-6 times that period.

There is a simple and final solution to sentencing Murderers and it won't overcrowd the prisons. We all know what it is but I'm sure I will be flamed for suggesting it.

I'm not sure Australia would agree with that solution any more ;)

But whatever happens to them in jail will haunt them for the rest of their lifes.

e.g. dropping the soap in the showers

But whatever happens to them in jail will haunt them for the rest of their lifes.

e.g. dropping the soap in the showers

I'm not sure 4 years will - theres *loads* of repeat offenders who after 4 years still commit crime and go back inside.

It would be interesting to know the repeat offender stats based on length of time actually served..

[edit, and of course, a 4 year sentence does not mean 4 years inside, theres early release and time off for good behaviour - when really there should be time on for bad behaviour)

R

I'm not sure 4 years will - theres *loads* of repeat offenders who after 4 years still commit crime and go back inside.

It would be interesting to know the repeat offender stats based on length of time actually served..

[edit, and of course, a 4 year sentence does not mean 4 years inside, theres early release and time off for good behaviour - when really there should be time on for bad behaviour)

R

In many states of the USA, you would be looking at life, or the chair

Now if the prison service didnt have to pay for Sky, Air Con, Laundry Services, Play Stations, PCs in each room I think it might be a bit more managable. Oh and why cant the prisoners build the prison, i.e US Style with chains and mean looking copper with a shotgun.

Cheap labour, less appliances

Its a very short sentance, and they've killed a decent calibre of individual too who would have been a valuable asset to our country.

Sentencing like that sends out the wrong message, there was intent here to injure and kill so they should be given a tougher sentence. Prison is a cop out, the US's system of chain gangs appeals much more as you have thse scumbags repaying their debt to society, having a miserable time rather than rioting in a prison.

My only case against the death penalty is that if they get the wrong fella(s). Other than that its fair cop. I would however like the forced labour approach, i.e. work them to death building roads etc as we'd get some benefit back :D

i agree with *** to many people are are wrongly sentenced, so death penalty is extreme for the wrongly convicted .it does happen and i do feel for the police sometimes when they know who did it got loads of evidence but then some flashy lawer gets them of.(oj simpson )i dont dont blame the police for a little tamper with the evidence to help there case, but its wrong to say that.This case is different manslaughter i think death penatly is definatly wrong for this case... thugs yes but how many people on here have punched someone in the head maybe in your younger days they fall hit there head DEAD so you get the death sentence .i dont think that would work .

i watched a documentary on chain gangs in usa other day it was old so you may have seen it.
no fags
no tv
pink clothes
even pink handcuffs
thats the way prisons should be

i agree with *** to many people are are wrongly sentenced, so death penalty is extreme for the wrongly convicted .it does happen and i do feel for the police sometimes when they know who did it got loads of evidence but then some flashy lawer gets them of.(oj simpson )i dont dont blame the police for a little tamper with the evidence to help there case, but its wrong to say that.This case is different manslaughter i think death penatly is definatly wrong for this case... thugs yes but how many people on here have punched someone in the head maybe in your younger days they fall hit there head DEAD so you get the death sentence .i dont think that would work .

i watched a documentary on chain gangs in usa other day it was old so you may have seen it.
no fags
no tv
pink clothes
even pink handcuffs

The death penalty could only be used if genuine intent was proved, and agree with the above example, as the intent to kill isn't there. If somebody runs someone else over accidentily and they die there is no intent to kill so they should recieve no punishment at all. If they were speeding then its a speeding ticket, nothing more.

However if they premeditate the crime to kill then I have no real issue with the death sentence, apart from the issue of killing the wrong person. Evidence would have to be overwhelmingly in the case and the nature of the crime horrific, like this one.

But the chain gang system still is better as the state benefits, i.e. road building etc @ minimal costs.

no fags
no tv
pink clothes
even pink handcuffs

Now we do not think they should be hanged from the highest pole but for them to be out in 18 months is a joke. I know what I would do if that gentleman that was murdered was a family member of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom